MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Minimum Brake disc thickness

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  myjess 
#1 ·
Anyone know what the minimum thickness is for the brake disks front and back?
And does this thickness include the gap in the middle of the disc, if you see what I mean?

Rear Pads are worn down and I don;t know whether I have to replace disks also.

There is a guy on greedbay selling mintex brake box kits really cheap, but I don't know if they are any good or not, but they are certainly cheaper including postage than the ordinary discs and pads I see on there.

Thanks.

#6 ·
Disc Wear

You know, for the bother of grinding the outside edge and then getting the vernier in, I might as well go and buy a set!

Thanks.
I think a rough and ready 'rule of thumb' would be that if there is a healthy ridge at the outside edge then fit new discs.
It dosn't take me long at all to rub the ridge off with an orbital sander to measure the thickness and it gets rid of the rust. However you could use something like 2 feeler gauge blades of known thickness. one each side, and subtract that from total on the gauge, after all you are only trying to get a fairly rough idea of thickness and half a milimeter isn't going to be critical.
I also paint the hub part of the disc with smooth Hammerite. Looks much better than rust through the alloys !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.