MG-Rover.org Forums - View Single Post - The Fine Art of Owning: A Rover 25
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 09:28
Roverlike
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape' & Rover 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun! View Post
..If it was a broken pipe, wouldn't there be a pool of water somewhere? As of yet, I haven't found one. At this time, I'm thinking that the nozzles are blocked. I have one blocked nozzle on the front jets, so I'm swopping them out for a pair of jets from a Citroen Xsara. The rear jet appears to be moulded into some sort of cover. How that comes apart, I've no idea.
Yes, rear washer nozzles are moulded into cover over the motor spindle to which wiper arm is attached. Through the center of the spindle you have metal pipe for water passing. Pipe ends with mushroom like ring extensionn. Cover has plastic ring which fixes cover over the extension of metal pipe. This cover rotate on the right hand side toward wiper arm when you want to remove it. It is firm fit, so you need some force to take it out, but not too much force.

Quote:
It's strange really. As the years have rolled by. Cars have become more complex and owner input has declined. Owner input has declined simply because the cars have become more complex. The easiest car to work on I've ever had, was a Triumph Herald. I even managed to change the pistons without taking the block out of the car, or removing the cylinder head (Sump plate off, unbolt, swing crank aside and pull on the con rod). Everything was in plain sight and easy to get at. Today, it's pipes and plastic bits everywhere! Electronic gizmos don't help either. I went looking for the distributor, only to find I didn't have one! Is it any wonder then that owner input has declined? Having said that. The life span of modern cars has been extended for a considerable amount of time.
Todays cars have much more electrics and usualy this electrics can be PITA as when it breaks it is more and čore difficult to slove the problem. By that you depend on garages with diagnostic equipment to service your car and invoige you for high amounts.
In the same time I find that todays cars parts have something like defined period of usage, which is much shorter than it was before. Modern cars are request2d to come to service much often then before. All in favor to car industry and spare parts production. Nothing to be surprised though.

From perspective of moder cars today, I am very reluctant to buy new car, as I will have to pay substantial amount of money for it, and I can expect my first visit in near garage in less then month. Something will broke. I am not fond of this kind of game.

I find that cars from, let's say second half of '80 until first half of '00 are much better built then todays car. Some Mercedes from '80 can last for 1 mil miles, while for todays Mercs you wluld not expect to last even third that amount of miles. They need to sell new models.

I find MG Rovers with very reasonable mix of electric gizmos and mechanical 'old school' stuff for me. Just as I like it. That might be one of the main reasons why I love these cars.

In your R25 dou have wasted spark, that is the reason why you do not have distributor. In both my Rovers 200 and 600 I still have distributor. I love them for that.

Quote:
In days of yore. People who bought a 2nd car looked at the mileage first. Back then. A car that could go 'around the clock' was almost unheard of. Now it's an every day occurrence. My 25 has done 94000. It's solid enough to do that again. If I compared the Rover to a car that was built in the 1970's. The condition would suggest that it was about 5 years old. Not the 13 years it actually is. Such is the improvement in materials and build quality. But that's the rub isn't it? It's almost as if the owners input has been designed out of the equation. Once the little faults begin to stack up. The car gets sold off. Sad really. These little faults are so easy to fix.

I only bought the 25 as a stop gap until the right 75 'Connie' comes along. Having said that. the 25 isn't going anywhere until it's right!
Nice from you that you will take care of lovely R25 to its glory which she deserves.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome