MG-Rover.org Forums banner

TOAF worry ye not!

87K views 534 replies 50 participants last post by  Serin 
#1 ·
Its still ongoing,they are ironing out some bugs and they know they are going to have a rough time from some quarters.
Does it exist?
I would have to say so as I've had a little bit of it:wink:
The release is imminent so play nice.
We will all be able to spot other TOAF users on the road in the coming months as we see other cars with the 30% DRL's enabled:grin:

#496 ·
Sorry, forgot to tell it's a V6 engine. The car i manufactured in 2003. With cursor do you mean the drag bar? It has no effect on my fan.
I can test the fan high speed with that alternative. the other two low and medium does nothing. The fan is working perfectly on both speeds (with a new resistor).

What I wanted to know is if someone here has a two speed fan and have done a TOAF test on this. It ought to be only two alternative for fan speed in TOAF if there is a two speed fan installed and the ECU is aware of this.

#498 · (Edited)
I see someone is struggling with his side lights and has had to PAY to get them fixed. If only he had read this he could have fixed it himself for free.http://forums.mg-rover.org/8331353-post59.html
EDIT: he even has an attack in his signature,smells fishy to me and I think some people may have had a big hit in their pocket and are starting a campaign.
ANOTHER EDIT: It's funny how some people can talk about TOAF when others can't.

#499 ·
I see someone is struggling with his side lights and has had to PAY to get them fixed. If only he had read this he could have fixed it himself for free.http://forums.mg-rover.org/8331353-post59.html
EDIT: he even has an attack in his signature,smells fishy to me and I think some people may have had a big hit in their pocket and are starting a campaign.
ANOTHER EDIT: It's funny how some people can talk about TOAF when others can't.

I've just seen it, I think you can only talk about it over there if you're bashing it, I've never had a problem with it & it's done everything I wanted to do perfectly well.

I'm not getting involved with the ***** slinging.

#503 ·
I have searched the complainants user name and see he has bought a lot of electrical items on eBay and then I saw this post:-
Sandaysoft ? View topic - Transmitter repair.
It seems he knows a bit about electronics.Very fishy!>:):wink:
Good bit of detective work Shawn:grin:I find the outburst very strange indeed, to publicly slam it as useless when It has helped so many people & they in turn have learned a lot about their cars in the bargain is very odd.

#507 ·
I think that TOAF, as all diagnostic systems, can identify fault codes and point you in the right direction but then it's a matter of interpreting the information which is where experience and helpful experts come in.

Run TOAF, clear any fault codes (there’ll be lots the first time) and see if any return.

Good luck

#509 ·
As a matter of interest ,was coding a new key into my doer upper resto 75 and was trying to delete a couple of old keys but it appears TOAF did not remove them off the list??Just seems to be able to add keys ?
I was using Version 51.
I got a 2.5 engine and other thing appears to be only getting limited data from the engine etc ?
Anyone else ??

#510 ·
Hello Chaps. I connected my car to TOAF yesterday. It was able to read car data, but some of the car's modules could not be read. For example, the SRS module. I got a message saying it was not found. I got this message on other modules also. My car is a 2.5 V6.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#511 ·
Also had issues with Toaf not reading correctly, I found when using the KKL cable that the connection was sometimes unsuccessful or didn’t read all units. I now use an old Ediabas serial port cable which works every time. I’ve heard of others who have almost given up on Toaf but then one day magically it connects without any changes in settings or hardware, Windows gremlins?

The diesel owners seem to have a live data option but not for the V6, or at least I haven’t found it.

There is also a problem getting Toaf to read later airbags, no problems with the earlier models with the Temic airbag but after the Jan 2003 change to Autoliv you’ve not much chance but hopefully the new version will correct this and the 1.8 litre limitations.

Regards

#519 ·
I agree, there appears limited live data from the engine with the v6 and as for some modules not showing data, I think they may relate to the diesel engines. Re connection, also found you need to select the right com port as it comes up with com 3 and connects when i SELECT com4.

#512 ·
Vitesse v8, thanks for responding. Does the Ediabas cable need pins 7 & 8 connected. Do I need any particular Software, or does Windows find one automatically. TOAF is behaving strange. The first time I connected to the car, it read everything.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#513 ·
Yes the Ediabas cable needs soldering too, unless you can find one already "fixed". But before you rush out and buy one please understand that this is just what I’ve found, many others use the KKL usb cable without problems, and not many PCs have a serial port (RS232) even older ones, (I use Windows XP)

I didn’t need any special software or drivers, just ran the Toaf installation programme and it automatically configured everything.

Good luck

#515 ·
Toaf and CDTi

Hello guys,

I have problems with connecting to 75 CDTi using TOAF.
Actually, i can connect to another one with no problems, but this one is not working.

Seems that TOAF is not recognizing any module at all (screenshot) and when i click on engine module pop up appears as shown. :frown:

Any ideas?
Regards

#516 · (Edited)
Hello guys,

I have problems with connecting to 75 CDTi using TOAF.
Actually, i can connect to another one with no problems, but this one is not working.

Seems that TOAF is not recognizing any module at all (screenshot) and when i click on engine module pop up appears as shown. :frown:

Any ideas?
Regards
Yes,that remembers me something ,i noted :

I had to create a folder in live datas

Mike

#522 ·
In my experience I just run TOAF and it seems to select the available port. When I first had connection problems I tried selecting the port but it didn’t improve things, now I just start the programme and don’t bother with port selection.

French Mike’s screenshots above say he’s connected via port 9. I’ve some saved screenshots where on one occasion I was connected to port 5 but then on another occasion port 1, without manually assigning ports.

Sorry, but as a very long term Mac user I understand little of this business of port selection. By all means try port 3 but I believe it would be a mistake to say that TOAF has to use port 3 (as shown above). Maybe someone with more insight into the mysteries of Windows might comment ….

#523 ·
As I understand it (which doesn't mean a lot), the COM port is assigned by the operating system to any new RS232 device attached to the computer. It means you can end up with a long list if assignments for devices you may never use again and this can lead to problems. I have a device that requires the COM port number to be a single digit, yet the system assignes it to COM 10 or above. To fix this, there is a simple way to remove redundant COM port assignments.

The port number assigned to any connected device can be seen by going into the Device Manager interface.

TC

#525 ·
Sadly I think the Poles have abandoned us and retreated within their own forum due to the amount of hostility they received on the “club” site. Shame as for many of us especially outside UK TOAF is an invaluable tool and I suspect capable of much more than I dare use.

I just checked the Polish site and there’s mention of a TOAF workshop being held on the 18th of November led by the “master of TOAF” Marcin Misek himself.

Another thing I noticed was a ZS V6 owner who reported he was able to access and read engine fault codes using TOAF but that was all, couldn’t get any deeper.

The mention of a workshop is good news as it confirms TOAF is alive and well, perhaps one day they’ll remember those of us who donated by releasing an updated English version with a users’ guide. Failing that, a translated Youtube video of the workshop session would be very interesting to see and learn from. Hope someone's still checking on this forum from the White Eagle country.

Regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.