MG-Rover.org Forums - View Single Post - Wing mirror confusion
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 22:36
batoutofhull
Supporter

Car: MGTF 364 days a year. L200 for 1 day of snow.
Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviejones133 View Post
Another thing to denote siding is the actual part number, if still visible. It will be on one of the screw posts that goes through the cheater. Generally, they look something like this:

CRB110***xxx

*** = three numbers, usually 160, 180 or 200. This indicates type of mirror (flat or convex) and which side. For example, 160 is a RH mirror fitted with convex glass. 180 is LH with convex, 200 is flat glass and no handing applies to those because it doesn't alter the image if put on the wrong side as it's a flat reflection. The whole flat/convex thing is something to do with driving laws in the UK vs. other places and how reflections should be perceived when viewing the side mirrors. I don't think flat mirrors would pass a UK MOT as we should use convex glass - apparently.

xxx = just the colour paint code for your car.

I only know this as I went through a load of hassle trying to upgrade my plastic manual mirrors to colour coded electric ones.

Same goes with the door locks and handles. As mentioned, the only passenger handle to have a keyhole is cars without CL like my base 1.6 MY2000 F. When I upgraded my handles, the passenger side came with the key blanked off. My original plain black passenger handle had a factory hole so that the door could be unlocked with a key as I don't have central locking.....yet! - anyway, the lock barrel still sits behind it though.
So Stevie, you have fitted your door handles? and left the lock barrel in place?
I have not got around to putting mine on yet. I was not after central locking - I always wanted key access.
I was going to use a pillar drill and fit the handle to a jig and drill out the blanking plate. Then using a 45 degree router bit finish it with that in the centre lathe, on a slow speed.
Do you think this is viable?

Regarding the mirrors. Door card off. Plug it in. Hold it in you hand. using the joy stick up or down you will see which side it goes on. If a rh it will not go up far but down a lot. If it goes up a lot it's lh. My second hand ones were really marked and I did not see codes/labels etc.

Last edited by batoutofhull; 11-01-2017 at 22:41.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome