MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Erractic idle....running out of ideas

740 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  6KH 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a Rover 45 1.6, 52 plate with 38,000 miles on the clock.

I'm hoping that someone could give me some guidance as I have a recurring erractic idle problem.

The revs are bouncing from around 900rpm to 1500rpm. At one point they were staying at 2000rpm. It is also ocxasionally stuttering on acceleration.

Following the advice on some other posts, the following have been replaced:

Spark Plugs
HT Leads
Ignition Coils
Idle Control Valve.

My brother is a mechanic and is thinking that it may be either the intake manifold gasket (as he is convinced he can hear air being sucked in/expelled). There is also a ratitle on the far left injector.

Or he thought it may be the throttle position sensor...he does not know the frequent/known problems with Rover 45's or the K Series engine.

Hence this post.....if you have any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

See less See more
#2 ·
I am quite sure you have a leaking input gasket,
A simple test to try is to run engine at tick over from cold, get a trigger sqirty bottle off plain water and squirt it gradually around intake manifold, you should get a difference in engine tone if the water is sucked in at a leaking area, you will hear a marked stutter for a second or two as the water is sucked in to the inlet and affects the firing this will do no harm to the engine but will verify if the gasket is leaking, but I am almost certain it is the problem, if it is, you will have to get the gasket replaced, and also check the plugs,
Hope this helps
Good Luck

#8 ·
If it's the inlet manifold gasket you will be losing coolant and the problem (in my experience) is worst at cold start.

I'd go for the IACV and throttle position sensor - remove and clean both or perhaps even replace both, one at a time. Check also the security and routing of the throttle cable over the throttle body drive quadrant.

Andrew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.