MG-Rover.org Forums - View Single Post - The curious case of the vanishing coolant (Pics & Video)
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 19-04-2017, 18:56 Thread Starter
TF_Tom

Car: '04 115 XPower Grey
The curious case of the vanishing coolant (Pics & Video)

Evening Lads & Ladies,

I'll try and keep this post short, as Ive rattled on in my last post (which is becoming a bit of a "progress blog")

Ive been noticing minor coolant loss since getting the car back on the road a few weeks back. Yesterday morning I topped the coolant tank up to half way, went for a 80 mile journey, with a mix of driving (town/country/motorway). When I checked the coolant this morning I was down to around a 1/4 of a tank.

I had noticed this kind of drop in the past.

I today took a look around the engine bay and around as much as the car as I could and I can't see any obvious coolant leak. I followed the steps in this great post: How To.... Diagnose a K Series Head Gasket Failure and nothing seems to point to HGF in my eyes (Im in no way a mechanic but i know my way around a car)

Whilst looking under the car I noticed there was an oily patch. With a tiny (TINY) bit of pink fluid (my OAT Coolant) Although only tiny, and I mean tiny, it still something...and goes a little way to explaining where the coolant could be going.

I just wondered if you guys had any advice/ suggestions/ ideas as to what could be happening here..and all the while I'll cross my fingers and hope that not every reply just shouts HGF at me.

Thank you (As always)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome