: Grinnall TR7

DunRovin
16-12-2005, 20:37
Has anyone ever heard about these? I am seriously interested in this 285BHP car although I reckon it will go up beyond what I am prepared to pay.

I hope this is the right forum, Triumph were part of the company that became MGR. Actually, this car seems to be as much SD1 as it is Triumph, considering it is running on SD1 gear and has the engine.

Only 5 made apprarently. Looks a bit like an S2000 from the side.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIUMPH-TR7-V8-GRINNALL_W0QQitemZ4597765497QQcategoryZ29760QQrdZ1 QQcmdZViewItem

http://i2.ebayimg.com/03/i/05/21/94/c1_12_sb.JPG (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4597765497&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting)

Elstro
16-12-2005, 20:52
Thats a nice-lloking machine, and with a 285 bhp V-8, should be a beast too.

However i cannot get over the Volvo 480ES nose and Ford Orion back end!

XX Driver
16-12-2005, 22:32
Mark Grinnall knows the TR7 inside out and has performed many conversions to TR8 spec. I had the privelige to drive a V8 4.2 Litre 2+2 convertible (yes a 2+2!) he did many years ago and it was a lovely job.
I've only ever seen one of his 'modern interpretations' of the TR8 and never driven one but you can bet it'll be well engineered and assembled.

FWIW: I think I read somewhere that Grinnall Cars actually acquired the manufacturing rights to the TR7/8 from ARG (as it was then) in the hope that the project would take off.

Peter1025
17-12-2005, 05:02
Built in Bewdley at the time,

http://www.grinnallcars.com/

Richard Moss
17-12-2005, 15:11
Actually, this car seems to be as much SD1 as it is Triumph, considering it is running on SD1 gear and has the engine.

The 5 speed TR7 had the SD1 back axle and gearbox, anyway.

STEVEN_NORFIELD
19-12-2005, 08:16
I think you'd be looking at a monolothic amount to pick one of those up.

Why not just get a TR8 or a converted TR7, there's plenty about.

DunRovin
19-12-2005, 11:46
I think you'd be looking at a monolothic amount to pick one of those up, plus you have to find one of the 5 things in the first place, and then convinve their owners to part with them.

Why not just get a TR8 or a converted TR7, there's plenty about.

You are right enough, the auction is now at about 6,350 with 3 days to go.

I've been considering getting an old car from BL days and putting back to original mint or possibly adding some hidden technology but keeping the appearance original- regardless of the time it would take. Can't make up my mind what car to choose. TR7/8, Mini 850, Stag, SD1, 2500pi MK2, Spitfire are all possibilities - not interested in MGs though. Favouring Mr Manns wedge at the moment and hence coming accross the Grinnals car. I like the fact that 24K has been spent on it, should be on good shape. I don't like the styling changes - as someone pointed out it's like a Volvo 480 at the front and Orion at the back.

Richard Moss
21-12-2005, 10:07
I had a TR7 into which I fitted a Dolomite Sprint engine and uprated brakes. The conversion is relatively cheap, quite straight forward but produces dramatic results. The 16v engine is really smooth, torquey and surprisingly powerful - and far cheaper to run than a V8. I gave it electronic ignition and a tubular exhaust manifold (needed to clear the chassis leg) and my mate's professionally converted TR7 V8 could not get away from it.

One of the classic car mags recently put several Triumphs on a rolling road to see how they fared - a totally original Dolomite sprint with no mods at all was pushing out 140bhp. Bear in mind that this is from a 1970s engine with twin SU carbs and mechanical (points) ignition system and those figures start to look very good indeed. 140bhp is more power than factory spec MGB V8s or TR8s had, by the way.

STEVEN_NORFIELD
21-12-2005, 11:03
I'd go spitfire myself for the simple fact that spares are still readily available, they're pretty much the easiest ones to restore and they look the best!

Although a V8 stag is a pretty tidy beast to own.