MG-Rover.org Forums banner

UK MG-Rover Dealer Network & Nanjing

6K views 80 replies 23 participants last post by  e668ecp 
G
#1 ·
Anyone heard whether Nanjing have been in touch with the UK or Euroepean dealers yet?

#7 ·
The dealer that I spoke to in Munich a couple of weeks ago had heard nothing at that time.
It seems that in this, as in so many other things that they have done, Nanjing are reluctant to make statements unless they know they can back them up. Yes, it's unfortunate that they haven't yet contacted the dealer network but I suspect that another `blue sky and b***s***' letter like those delivered from the company (I don't meand Nanjing) previously would not have been taken seriously anyway.

#10 ·
Gents,

Aren't we a bit ahead of ourselves here? Speaking as a car dealer, what have Nanjing possibly got to approach dealers with? Part of an empty factory and the promise of production (possibly) resuming in 2007? You guys seem to forget the empty promises the MG Rover dealer network got time after time by Kevin Howe and his cronies before the collapse. Hey, I'm not being uber negative or anything but it will take an awful lot to convince anyone left with some loose change in their wallets to take on the promise of a new MG franchise. Apart from a desirable product range and healthy profit margins, future MG dealers will be wanting some sort of reassurance of investment, not asset stripping and countless facelifts based on the promise of a future joint venture. It's gonna have to be better than that. Now I for one will be first in the queue for a new MG when the time comes, but hey, these guys aren't all enthusiasts like us, they're business people. I want nothing more than a new beginning, but it will have to be special to tempt ANYONE in the future that this is a brand with a glowing future and one worth investing in. Yes guys, we know we have an illustrious past, but we can't trade on that forever. Now is the time to be innovative and show the world that MG is back - and back to stay. And I for one sincerely hope they can pull it off.

Heath.

#11 ·
one advantage nanjing have got is the change in the block exemption rules which allows dealers to sell more than one manufaturer on the same sight.
dealers dont need to worry about the outlay so much as they can sell another make as well.
if this hadn't happen i dont think nanjing would get any dealers!!!!

#12 ·
It's not just about Block Exemption, and I do take your point, as MGR appointed dealers who had other franchises on the same site before the collapse - I know, as I went to work for one - MGR through and through, you see! It's the cost of signage, workshop tooling, showroom space, staffing, training and making the whole thing add up so that it makes money. Nobody wants to fill shelves with slow selling products - they're gonna have to make it special early on to make it worth while for the dealers to take it on - and that my friend involves MONEY! Just as much as it would to restart productiion at Longbridge if not more. The brand needs to be rebuilt if it is to stand a chance - and so the product needs to be good. Look at all the brand building Hondda has done over the last few years. It's paying dividends for them now - and they have the product to back it up. Tall order, I know - but I for one hope they can do it. It won't happen over night, in fact it could take years. One 'mistake' is all it takes in a product range is all it takes to screw things up - and we've been here before with MGR haven't we. Unfortunately more than once.

Heath.

#13 ·
e668ecp said:
Anyone heard whether Nanjing have been in touch with the UK or Euroepean dealers yet?
Quote from Nanjing published on the 28th February:

"The MG brand is well-known internationally, it has a mature sales network in Europe, which Nanjing considers important. We are preparing to restore the overseas sales network."

I guess they soon will be in touch with those they are not already in touch with.

I think they may soon be making an effort to be a little more in touch with their customers too.

#14 ·
Windy said:
Quote from Nanjing published on the 28th February:

"The MG brand is well-known internationally, it has a mature sales network in Europe, which Nanjing considers important. We are preparing to restore the overseas sales network."

I guess they soon will be in touch with those they are not already in touch with.

I think they may soon be making an effort to be a little more in touch with their customers too.
can we expect flyers in with our mgcc/mgoc magazines!
sereiously though i reckon they will need at least 300 dealers to give it a good go .otherwise they wont have enough coverage.

#17 ·
And indeed this news is fantastic. However, apart from the scores of dealers who have gone to the wall as a result, the remaining will take some convincing before they decide to re-invest in an MGR franchise. They will need to establish new dealers as most of those remaining have already had to re-franchise in order to survive. I'm not making this up. Unfortunately, I worked for one of those dealers that sold up after the collapse. One of many, I can tell you. The rest of whom have recruited new franchises to stay alive. Once bitten, twice shy. I promise you it is not going to be easy. These things don't come lightly, no matter what Nanjing's press office has to say about the matter. They are starting from scratch. But take heart. Look at Skoda and Seat, Kia and Hyundai - they are all making strides in this country. If they can do it so can MG. But only with the right product and a proper marketing initiative. Guys, I'm at the front end selling cars every day and I can tell you the position ain't good at the moment but it CAN change. It's just going to take a big carrot on the end of that stick for people to sit up and take notice.

Heath.

#21 ·
heathdownes said:
And indeed this news is fantastic. However, apart from the scores of dealers who have gone to the wall as a result, the remaining will take some convincing before they decide to re-invest in an MGR franchise. They will need to establish new dealers as most of those remaining have already had to re-franchise in order to survive. I'm not making this up. Unfortunately, I worked for one of those dealers that sold up after the collapse. One of many, I can tell you. The rest of whom have recruited new franchises to stay alive. Once bitten, twice shy. I promise you it is not going to be easy. These things don't come lightly, no matter what Nanjing's press office has to say about the matter. They are starting from scratch. But take heart. Look at Skoda and Seat, Kia and Hyundai - they are all making strides in this country. If they can do it so can MG. But only with the right product and a proper marketing initiative. Guys, I'm at the front end selling cars every day and I can tell you the position ain't good at the moment but it CAN change. It's just going to take a big carrot on the end of that stick for people to sit up and take notice.

Heath.
they could go for a competitave price
5 year warranty
five years free servicing ora fixed price for five years like minis tlc packages
breakdown cover for three/five years
and a years free insurance.
cant think of anything else at the moment!

#26 ·
Good question.

You see a good (desirable) product doesn't need selling it just requires promotion which is a different story all together. If MG came back with desirable product that sold in volume then half the job is already done for them. It doesn't have to be all about giveaways and low rate finance and legnthy warranties, it just has to capture the imagination of the public. And that takes a lot of doing. Of course, once a product is reaching the end of its shelf life then these things are inevitable - but not from day one, otherwise it ain't right to begin with.

Heath.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.