: Relicensing after declaring SORN?

ThumpJunkie
22-02-2007, 13:41
Right, the car has been off the road since January, and as a result I haven't got round to renewing its Road Tax :O

Anyway, since there's only a week left of the month I was thinking about SORNing the car and then reapplying for Road Tax next week, however I'm not sure how quickly after declaring SORN you can reaaply for a licence? It says that postal confirmation takes 4 weeks.

Also, how can I reapply without my V5C? Or can't I? I've lost it, you see :O

stamford
22-02-2007, 13:48
You can declare SORN over the phone or on their website.

Go to your local Post Office to re-tax it, you don't need the form, I think they can do it from the logbook barcode anyway. I did this once when I had to re-tax a Mini I once had and had no V5C form, just used the logbook slip IIRC. It's worth popping into a PO and asking though.

vec22cd
22-02-2007, 13:50
you will probably need to go to your local dvla office if you have no v5 or v5c even then if v5 not in your name you will need to wait till you get new v5

i had a problem with a scorpio i bought lost v5c so applied for log book couldnt sorn or tax till i got new v5 in my name that took 3 months

most the time dvla are quick with v5 arriving in 2 weeks

but your best going to the local office as they can chase it up for you

ThumpJunkie
22-02-2007, 14:32
V5C found, ThumpBuggy SORNed, now how long do I have to wait until I can relicense her for March? Can I relicense the car today?

JamesP
22-02-2007, 21:29
V5C found, ThumpBuggy SORNed, now how long do I have to wait until I can relicense her for March? Can I relicense the car today?

Hello Thumpjunkie

You will be best to wait until March 1st & Tax it at the post office, any sooner & it will be backdated to the 1st February.

James

PatrickT
23-02-2007, 09:57
what in heaven's name is SORN?

one of the things that bugs me as a non UK resident is the fact that on this Iinternational website so few bother to explain their regional idiosyncrasies for the rest of us.

BLMC
23-02-2007, 10:21
what in heaven's name is SORN?

one of the things that bugs me as a non UK resident is the fact that on this Iinternational website so few bother to explain their regional idiosyncrasies for the rest of us.

As you know we have to pay road tax so we can use our car's on UK roads.
If you don't intend to use your car for a bit after your tax expires you need to do SORN.

Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) means that, by law, DVLA must be informed when a registered keeper does not re-license a vehicle because it is not being used or kept on a public road.

A SORN declaration is valid for 12 months unless you re-license, sell, permanently export or scrap the vehicle before the 12 months have expired.

If your tax runs out and you do nothing they think you are using the car without tax and you can be fined upto 1000.