: Is it possible to obtain car ownership details?

carliterature
25-02-2007, 22:36
Hi all

I won't bore you all with too much detail but I'm in a bit of a sticky situation and wondered if anyone knew if it was possible to obtain car ownership details, such as name of registered keeper and keeper's address etc from the DVLA or suchlike?

Basically, my dad passed away last April. His Russian wife of 20 months at the time, has since obtained my father's car (a gorgeous Connoisseur SE spec 75 with Hi-Line Nav) and appears to have passed/sold it to her new boyfriend, with whom she began living with before my dad was buried. Sorry, I'll stop before I end up ranting and wanting to rip her to pieces...

But, yeah, basically, I want to check who is the registered keeper. Any help (not professional, mental help though, I'm receiving that already, lol) is much appreciated.

Dean Carr
25-02-2007, 23:34
i think it contravenes the data protection act. however im not sure who told me this but if you say your from a genuine place such as an insurance company you can get the details without much hassle.

lates
25-02-2007, 23:37
Officially I would not have thought it was possible.As above data protection act prevents joe public from gaining this information.

mickh
25-02-2007, 23:49
Probably no legal way.

aufo8mycow
26-02-2007, 00:13
Basically, no.

I had a situation with a new coupe I purchased in January and the gimp never sent off the log book (Even though he said he did) I called the DVLA a number of times and asked them if it had been changed into my details yet.

They took my name and my address and confirmed that it had not been changed into my name. I then asked them who's name it was in then. They advised me. .due to the Data protection act, they could not give me those details. They could only tell me if I was the registered keeper, which according to them I am not yet currently.

So ultimately, to your question, unless you know his name and address, when he bought the car or transfered, they won't help you.

Sean

LeRich
26-02-2007, 12:08
I'm sure there must be a way as it's how speeding and parking fines are dished out and enforced ;).

Ian
26-02-2007, 12:11
I'm sure there must be a way as it's how speeding and parking fines are dished out and enforced ;).

There is a way, but only company's that have 'reasonable' cause to require the information can obtain it. And the company has to be accredited in advance by the DVLA.

BLMC
26-02-2007, 14:00
Unless you're good mates with a copper ?

JAW
26-02-2007, 16:11
I'm sure I've heard that you can pay a fee to obtain such information.. I just remember reading that the service used to be free in America but charged for here.. and there was dissagreement because of people being looked up for cetrain cars... I could have misread it though it could have been that thieves were posing as debt collecters etc to obtain addresses - I wouldn't have thought the DVLA would hand out such info...

david_r_bates
26-02-2007, 16:37
I dont think this is covered by the DPA. The DPA covers personal information, and if ownership of a car was covered then surely I would'nt be able to go onto the land registry and get all the details of the owner of a house...

Mind you, this does not mean the DVLA will play ball.

Alex G
26-02-2007, 22:23
If you HPI a vehicle it will tell you date of last ownership change so at least you will know if the DVLA have been informed of a keeper change. I can do this free of charge at work if you give me the reg.

Ian
26-02-2007, 22:31
The RAC website also tells you the date of change of the last owner ;)

cosb6
26-02-2007, 22:48
You can apply to the DVLA for the Logbook / ownership.

Then they send you a V5C within 28 days if the last registered keeper doesn't object....

LuCkY
26-02-2007, 22:52
You can apply to the DVLA for the Logbook / ownership.

Then they send you a V5C within 28 days if the last registered keeper doesn't object....

Could then report it as stolen :lol:

sheefag
27-02-2007, 08:29
Could then report it as stolen :lol:

Close to what I was thinking, just report it as stolen - you'll soon find out!