: Anyone taken out AA breakdown cover?

kelvin
12-03-2008, 20:10
I've read a fair bit about this cover, the F/TF boys mention it, it's paid towards a few HGF repairs from what I can see. I'm just trying to decide if it's worth the money, having paid 250ish last April for a warranty that wouldn't pay out when I had a problem.

They pay out up to 500 and up to 5 claims per year. There's a 25 excess and it costs an additional 65 per year on top of your membership. Seems almost too good to be true. Details below:

In order for Your AA Breakdown Repair Cover to apply, the nominated vehicle must:
Break down as a result of Mechanical or Electrical Failure, and as a result, be prevented from continuing its journey safely, and have been attended by the AA under Your AA Membership, and need the repair or replacement of insured part(s) to enable the journey to be resumed or, if applicable, commenced.

Items Covered.

The Engine
All parts are covered other than exhaust systems.

Engine Cooling System
All parts are covered, other than in the case of damage or failure due to freezing, corrosion, erosion and blockage.

Fuel System
All parts are covered, other than in the case of damage or failure due to incorrect or contaminated fuel, internal blockage, adjustments and failure to meet current emission legislation.

Clutch
All parts are covered other than worn-out friction surfaces.

Gearbox
All parts are covered.

Differential and Drive Line
All parts are covered other than motorcycle drive chains and sprockets.

Steering
All parts are covered.

Suspension
All parts are covered other than wheels, tyres and suspension forks.

Braking System
All parts are covered other than worn-out friction surfaces.

Electrical System
All parts are covered including vehicle starter batteries other than sun roof motors and mechanisms, folding roof motors and mechanisms, window mechanisms (electrical and mechanical), door lock mechanisms (electrical and mechanical), ignition lock and barrel, lamps, bulbs, faulty connections, speedometer and odometer.

Other Insured Parts are:
Air conditioning compressor but not any other air conditioning components.
Front windscreen wiper linkages.
Housings and Casings - These are covered provided they are damaged by the failure of an insured part.

Other parts that are not covered
All body parts, roof frames, glass, non-glass windows, paint, upholstery, folding roof fabric, trim, cosmetic finishes, motorcycle frames and fairings; Any equipment that is not fitted as standard by the manufacturer at the time of production.

T1MTG
12-03-2008, 20:16
Sounds like you're after a warranty, mine cost me 250 for 12 months, with AON. AON covers everything except electrical faults. I had the HG done, Thermostat valve, Brake pipe failure, Oil leak all sorted through the warranty and never paid a thing. AON cover the repairs upto the value of the car, and also pay 7 days courtesy car hire. Several national outlets for the work to be done in too. It does not cover wearable parts, Discs, Clutches, Exhaust, and not paint or bodywork but all engine mechanicals.

Martyn P
12-03-2008, 20:19
Hi Kelvin
Yes I have, am in my second year but have not had to test it yet, which I guess is the point of your enquiry, so cant speak for or against
M

caravan man
12-03-2008, 20:23
I enquired about this but the car to be covered must be serviced at a vat registered garage and an invoice supplied as proof to be eligable, as I service my car myself I could not take out the cover.

Regards Gary

kelvin
12-03-2008, 20:23
Sounds like you're after a warranty, mine cost me 250 for 12 months, with AON. AON covers everything except electrical faults. I had the HG done, Thermostat valve, Brake pipe failure, Oil leak all sorted through the warranty and never paid a thing. AON cover the repairs upto the value of the car, and also pay 7 days courtesy car hire. Several national outlets for the work to be done in too. It does not cover wearable parts, Discs, Clutches, Exhaust, and not paint or bodywork but all engine mechanicals.

Nope. As I said, I have a warranty for all the use it was. It will be a cold day in hell before I pay for another expensive piece of useless paper.

kelvin
12-03-2008, 20:25
Hi Kelvin
Yes I have, am in my second year but have not had to test it yet, which I guess is the point of your enquiry, so cant speak for or against
M

Thanks. Thinking about it, if my auto box lasts another 20 years it might not be economically sensible for me!

kelvin
12-03-2008, 20:28
I enquired about this but the car to be covered must be serviced at a vat registered garage and an invoice supplied as proof to be eligable, as I service my car myself I could not take out the cover.

Regards Gary

.........vat registered garage.........

Presumably when motor traders register for vat they have to take some sort of trade test to prove that they know what they're doing!

FLYER
12-03-2008, 20:33
the service bit kills it kelvin, im guessing that you like me like to do your own servicing therefore its a dead duck unless you have a mate that will stamp your book . ah theres the rub . coalburnflyer.:shh:

Harry5
12-03-2008, 22:26
Yeah Ive took it out, After my mgf's engine disapperered in a cloud of steam without warning, seemed like a good deal to me.
Whats the cost about a pound a week, for peace of mind with a k series.
You Have to call the aa patrol out for it to be covered thou,

T1MTG
12-03-2008, 22:32
The AA insurance doesnt sound too hot to me, only 500 can soon go on mechanics fees. If something that is not covered breaks you are in the same boat as the warranty that you dont like. Dont think any cover, unless you pay millions for it, will cover absolutely everything, its a matter of deciding whats best for you and your situation.

kelvin
12-03-2008, 22:39
Sadly, you're missing the point completely.

It's 5 x 500 in any one year for 65. I have a warranty, it cost me 250 and wouldn't pay out when I tried to claim. I won't be buying another one but this is attractive enough to warrant some thought.

Boz75
12-03-2008, 23:05
Just got 475 to go towards a new inlet manifold using my breakdown repair cover. No quibles, claim paid immediately. For 65 a year they have already saved me a packet and seem to be very good value.

Put another way 65 is less than the cost of a tank of petrol.

Boz

kelvin
12-03-2008, 23:11
Just got 475 to go towards a new inlet manifold using my breakdown repair cover. No quibles, claim paid immediately. For 65 a year they have already saved me a packet and seem to be very good value.

Put another way 65 is less than the cost of a tank of petrol.

Boz

That's the sort of info I was looking for. Can I ask what the circumstances were?

Blue_Oval
12-03-2008, 23:52
I have the AA warranty (as opposed to breakdown insurance) and they've paid 507 towards my recent HGF (well, they haven't sent the cheque yet but I'm expecting it!) I could have had nearly the whole job paid for if I'd taken it to their recommended repairer but I wanted it to go somewhere that I trust.

I might consider this when my warranty is expired in over 12 months, I should be smoking about in a ZT CDTi or Mondog TDCi by then too. :)

kelvin
13-03-2008, 00:07
I have the AA warranty (as opposed to breakdown insurance) and they've paid 507 towards my recent HGF (well, they haven't sent the cheque yet but I'm expecting it!) I could have had nearly the whole job paid for if I'd taken it to their recommended repairer but I wanted it to go somewhere that I trust.

I might consider this when my warranty is expired in over 12 months, I should be smoking about in a ZT CDTi or Mondog TDCi by then too. :)

Did that come with the car? I can't find anything on the AA Warranty site that tells me how much it is.

Blue_Oval
13-03-2008, 01:26
The one that I have was sold to me on a cold call one afternoon, it's the only thing that I've ever bought over the phone and it costs 21 per month, however, since my HGF (pretty much inevitable) it has paid for itself and I've broken even (as well as not having to fork out the money in one go!), one more claim and I'm in profit. :D

The cover I have is called the Platinum cover IIRC, they don't sell it on their website, it's underwritten by Motorway Direct PLC, maybe worth ringing them to see if you can buy it direct as bizzarely, the AA don't sell this particular policy themselves!

DaveyDave
13-03-2008, 09:47
I have the AA breakdown insurance and they paid for a front upper suspension bush without any quibbles. However, I recently needed a new front ball joint which they refused to pay on the grounds that it was wear and tear. Car has only done 65000 miles.

Boz75
13-03-2008, 22:17
I just noticed that the car was making funny noises, that i was down on way power and was not driving properly. I phoned the AA and asked them to come and check it out. They arrived within the hour and confirmed my suspicions. I was given a note and told to go to a garage to have them assess the work. 2 days later they fitted with authorisation from the AA, a shiny new manifold and a few days after that a shiny new cheque arrived.

So it appears that you do not have to physically break down to claim. As long as an insured part fails and it may be unsafe or cause further damage to the car to continue the journey they will fix it. The breakdown/part failure needs to be attended by the AA though.

Hope this helps
Boz

Ian
13-03-2008, 22:19
Don't forget that Supporters get a discount with the AA, on breakdown roadside cover (Not sure about the warranty - but will check) ;)

And the discount is for ever, not just the first year, like most special offers :D

kelvin
13-03-2008, 22:24
I just noticed that the car was making funny noises, that i was down on way power and was not driving properly. I phoned the AA and asked them to come and check it out. They arrived within the hour and confirmed my suspicions. I was given a note and told to go to a garage to have them assess the work. 2 days later they fitted with authorisation from the AA, a shiny new manifold and a few days after that a shiny new cheque arrived.

So it appears that you do not have to physically break down to claim. As long as an insured part fails and it may be unsafe or cause further damage to the car to continue the journey they will fix it. The breakdown/part failure needs to be attended by the AA though.

Hope this helps
Boz

That's just what I wanted to hear! Thanks.

My failed warranty claim was when the in-tank pump went. RAC man diagnosed it, towed me to a garage and I filled the tank. I drove home and took it to my local MGR garage who confirmed the diagnosis and ordered the part. Went back to have it fitted and the warranty company said they wouldn't pay as the vehicle had been driven since the fault occured. Nothing I said would shift them.

FLYER
13-03-2008, 22:27
Don't forget that Supporters get a discount with the AA, on breakdown roadside cover (Not sure about the warranty - but will check) ;)

And the discount is for ever, not just the first year, like most special offers :D ian im a long term aa member will i get a discount at renewal date .:yikes:

Ian
13-03-2008, 22:28
ian im a long term aa member will i get a discount at renewal date .:yikes:

Yes, you can. I checked that out myself. Have a look in the supporters area.

FLYER
13-03-2008, 22:34
ta much wildo. coalburnflyer.:drool:

kelvin
13-03-2008, 22:55
Unfortunately, you can either have the discount from here or the 20% online new member discount.

Ian
13-03-2008, 22:58
Unfortunately, you can either have the discount from here or the 20% online new member discount.

But the 20% online new member discount is for the first year only, whereas the .org one is for life ;)

FLYER
13-03-2008, 23:01
But the 20% online new member discount is for the first year only, whereas the .org one is for life ;) correctamundo.:confused:

tay
13-03-2008, 23:08
I use the AA 65 breakdown insurance and I think it is great, about 6 weeks into it my thermostat split emtying coolant, rang the AA who towed me to a garage of my choice, garage told AA what it would cost to repair which they agreed.

I paid 225 to garage for repair and two weeks later got a cheque back for 200 from the AA.

So I cant praise the AA enough especially with some of the horror stories about 500 breakdown warranties not paying out cos you farted after it broke down and didn't tell em !

kelvin
13-03-2008, 23:23
But the 20% online new member discount is for the first year only, whereas the .org one is for life ;)

What is the .org discount percentage wise? I was thinking online for year one, .org for years 2 - xxx. Unless the .org will be better in year one.

kelvin
13-03-2008, 23:24
I use the AA 65 breakdown insurance and I think it is great, about 6 weeks into it my thermostat split emtying coolant, rang the AA who towed me to a garage of my choice, garage told AA what it would cost to repair which they agreed.

I paid 225 to garage for repair and two weeks later got a cheque back for 200 from the AA.

So I cant praise the AA enough especially with some of the horror stories about 500 breakdown warranties not paying out cos you farted after it broke down and didn't tell em !

With the one I bought I think you only had to have indigestion.

DaveyDave
14-03-2008, 09:18

Hope this helps
Boz

I didn't have to wait for a cheque to come. The garage claimed the money direct from the AA. All I paid was the 25 when the work was complete.

stubie
16-03-2008, 20:36
I have just now taken out the AA Roadside plus Breakdown Repair warranty for a pricely sum of 79.29 per annum.

Now I have been humming and hahhing over it for a few months and got a couple of quotes emailed to me but I noticed the last one when I went onto the AA web site had gone down to under 80 now normally it would be 29 for the Roadside and 67 for the repair warranty - that's 96 but as stated over the couple of quotes it has crept own to a level where I cannot resist it any longer and if the testimonies on here are anything to go on it will be a bargain if I ever have to use it.

Stubs

tay
19-12-2008, 21:26
My clutch master cylinder was recently paid for by the AA warranty so that's two repairs this year they have paid for, excellent value I think.

Mr Edd
19-12-2008, 21:42
I have just now taken out the AA Roadside plus Breakdown Repair warranty for a pricely sum of 79.29 per annum.

Stubs

How does this work if you do your own servicing and repairs such as the ones I have done recently. Like Inlet Manifold and Disc replacement and pads. Will they still cover it?

How much detail about the colour of your underwear do they want?

Edd

FLYER
19-12-2008, 22:04
How does this work if you do your own servicing and repairs such as the ones I have done recently. Like Inlet Manifold and Disc replacement and pads. Will they still cover it?

Edd i used to wear white ones but as you get older you move into darker colours then just black , then you think oops just brown ones now ,then later the nurse changes your pads , sorry wot was the ,oh thats right aa cover , yeah good idea . flyer.:ziplip:

davediamond
20-12-2008, 01:37

Edd

Without digging out the paperwork, I believe the policy small print requires that the scheduled service's are done by a VAT registered business.

----------------------------------------
Vehicle servicing obligations
Only service invoices will be accepted as proof of servicing and such invoices may be required by the Claims
A suitable garage business must carry
out servicing. It is Your responsibility to find out the nominated vehicle’s
servicing requirements and to adhere to them.

http://www.theaa.com/breakdownrepaircover/brc-terms-conditions-nov08.pdf
----------------------------------------

Dave

steve67
20-12-2008, 08:42
hello,
i've just had the in tank fuel pump replaced with the 'aa brc' warranty, and it was done by a non vat garage, no problem, very impressed.

as for membership, haggle..... i managed to get 40% discount,

regards

:xmastree:

KevBrm
20-12-2008, 11:04
I took out the AA cover after :doh: my under bonnet pump went. Not made a claim yet but I'll report back if I ever do.

I think it's slightly more expensive if the cars done 100,000 +.

drdial
20-12-2008, 11:07
Is this a weekly or monthly question?

It's on here every other week it seems!

More cost if car is 10 yrs/100k +

Carl
20-12-2008, 17:11
Just done a quote for breakdown cover with the AA - and for me and the mrs for a year it come out at 127.48 - before any discount (this is for relay) plus 90 for the breakdown insurance (car is just over 100K)so giving me a grand total of 117.48 - with the .org discount I would get this for 108.36 +90 = 198.36

Hardly a bargain when I pay 67.82 for breakdown recovery for both of us ( with brittania rescue) and any driver cover on the ZT so the overall cost of the cover to me would be 130.52 :yikes:

And as all ive had to pay out in breakdown cost in the last 5 years is for a new coil and ht leads on the ford (not covered) and the ford also wanted a new pair of front springs which at my local gargaewouldn have been round about 150 I think id be out of pocket , so unless your planning some big breakdowns IMO wouldnt bother.

One thing I couldnt find on the website about the AA cover was can you have it on 2 cars and does that cost double ?

SimonDH
20-12-2008, 17:16
How do you get a supporter discount with the AA? My membership is up for renewal soon.

David3807
20-12-2008, 17:51
Breakdown Cover can be had I think for up to three cars and the price is about 25 per car for the second and third.

Carl
20-12-2008, 18:33
Breakdown Cover can be had I think for up to three cars and the price is about 25 per car for the second and third.

is that the recobvery or the paying for repairs cover at that price ?

SimonDH
20-12-2008, 18:39

With the AA you're the member... not the car though?

Carl
20-12-2008, 18:48
Im talking about the payment for car repairs that must be on the car or why do they charge more for cars over 100k ?

With my recovery we are both members and the ZT is covered who ever is driving it that way if father in law borrows it its still covered

SimonDH
20-12-2008, 18:50
Im talking about the payment for car repairs that must be on the car or why do they charge more for cars over 100k ?

With my recovery we are both members and the ZT is covered who ever is driving it that way if father in law borrows it its still covered

Yes you're right - sorry. I'm not sure about mileage but there used to be an age limit. Having said that, my car is still covered for parts - basically a separate policy. I didn't have that part of the cover on my 414.

Carl
20-12-2008, 19:19
it a higher price for cars older than 10 years or more than 100k

SimonDH
20-12-2008, 19:27
it a higher price for cars older than 10 years or more than 100k

Ah right, thanks... mine is nine years old so I'll bear that in mind.

Carl
20-12-2008, 20:04
it jumps from 65 to 90 for older / higher milage cars

David3807
20-12-2008, 22:35
is that the recobvery or the paying for repairs cover at that price ?

repairs cover

Carl
21-12-2008, 06:53
that makes it a bit kore sensible - if I had a K4 it would be worth thinking about but with a Kv6 and Diesel were ok on the HFG front - i hope

m66atj
23-12-2008, 12:52
I was towed by the AA the other day and they told me that this has been ressurected. I am waiting for a phonecall about it. Typical though, they tell me about it after I have broken down! LOL I will post after the phonecall.

Matt