: Scrap value of cars

andymilli
02-02-2011, 10:28
Do you get anything for scrapping a car these days? You used to, but at one stage you had to pay them to take it away - and now thay have to "recycle" it. Anyone know what the current situation is?

I ask because I've just bought a replacement for my trusty 600, which is now 11 years old. I thought the 600 would go forever, and it probably could do, but it's due for its 120k service with cambelt, and needs a few things doing to it to get it through its MOT. Sadly, all that will cost a lot more that the car is worth, depsite excellent condition, full-service history and a bullet-proof engine :(

It's frustrating, and most other makes would be worth enough to make it economically viable to keep it going - and I hate the idea of it being scrapped as I've looked after it. But I'm not sure there is much of an alternative. Or is there any value to a breaker? Is it worth phoning around a few local yards?

For the record, I've bought a Mazda 6 2.0d Sport, despite having looked at a few MG ZTT's. The Honda engine in my 618 has been so fantastic that I ended up tempted by a Jap car. I really wanted a Honda Accord Tourer ...but have you seen the prices they fetch!

I haven't been a regular poster here, but I have found it a great source of info over the past 5 years, so thanks for that :)

MetroMartin
02-02-2011, 11:45
they will weigh it on their weigh bridge and give you its scrap value. I would guess 100 to 150.

The alternative is ebay it. If its in good condition like you say it should be easy and attractive for a DIYer to fix it them selves. if its got even a tad of mot this helps as the buyer can drive it home.

Make the car look presentably on the pictures, ie wash it and hoover it out and ebay it. I'm sure your get more than its scrap weight.

DMGRS
02-02-2011, 12:22
I absolutely hate this 'going to cost more than the car is worth, bin it' culture. :(

My 620ti cost me 200, but needed 4 new tyres and a new clutch. Did I scrap it? No, I spent more than the car's value repairing it.

Not to mention the new exhaust it needed, including downpipe.

If you don't want it, eBay it to someone who will get it back on the road where a decent 600 belongs.
:2c:

andymilli
02-02-2011, 13:15
Matty, if I intended to keep it, I would spend the money. But I'm doing too many miles now for a 30mpg petrol to make sense, and my needs have changed hence buying a hatchback. Otherwise I'd happily spend the money and keep it, it's been a fantastically reliable car and is still good to drive. You and Martin have suggested that there may be people out there happy to do the work themselves, so fair enough, if that's the case I'll put it on Ebay and see what happens. I'd prefer it if the car stayed on the road as it has been looked after.

1 OF THE 80
02-02-2011, 15:32
Do you get anything for scrapping a car these days? You used to, but at one stage you had to pay them to take it away - and now thay have to "recycle" it. Anyone know what the current situation is?

I ask because I've just bought a replacement for my trusty 600, which is now 11 years old. I thought the 600 would go forever, and it probably could do, but it's due for its 120k service with cambelt, and needs a few things doing to it to get it through its MOT. Sadly, all that will cost a lot more that the car is worth, depsite excellent condition, full-service history and a bullet-proof engine :(

It's frustrating, and most other makes would be worth enough to make it economically viable to keep it going - and I hate the idea of it being scrapped as I've looked after it. But I'm not sure there is much of an alternative. Or is there any value to a breaker? Is it worth phoning around a few local yards?

For the record, I've bought a Mazda 6 2.0d Sport, despite having looked at a few MG ZTT's. The Honda engine in my 618 has been so fantastic that I ended up tempted by a Jap car. I really wanted a Honda Accord Tourer ...but have you seen the prices they fetch!

I haven't been a regular poster here, but I have found it a great source of info over the past 5 years, so thanks for that :)

Try this http://www.cartakeback.com/contact-us.aspx get an instant quote, they come and collect.

denis747
02-02-2011, 15:43
I absolutely hate this 'going to cost more than the car is worth, bin it' culture. :(

My 620ti cost me 200, but needed 4 new tyres and a new clutch. Did I scrap it? No, I spent more than the car's value repairing it.

Not to mention the new exhaust it needed, including downpipe.

If you don't want it, eBay it to someone who will get it back on the road where a decent 600 belongs.
:2c:
Excellent advice. Even if my car's engine was to go, I would happily buy new piston rings, cylinder head or new engine e.t.c. I don't care if the cost will be more than the initial price I paid when acquiring the car. There is also the "how many miles a car has done" kind of people who believe that when an engine reaches a certain mileage then it has to die. I don't believe in an engine having to die when reaching a certain mileage. Girlfriend has been asking me how many miles my car has and saying the engine will die soon lol, I told her not yet, engine just bedded in. I know I change my engine oil religiously every 6000 miles and that greatly improves longevity.

roverchippy
02-02-2011, 16:55
Come on people, he wasn't asking to get moaned at. I agree with you all, but if you want to save it...make him an offer?
In reality it's what happens to a car at the end of its life. People like you and I who will repair a car to keep it on the road are a dying breed, but there is no point in having a rant at someone is their? There is obviously a good enough reson for him to want to scrap it, as it has taken good care of it so far! Sometimes, there is no alternative.

I agree with everyone elce tho, stick it on ebay, maybe one of those rare breeds of people will get there hands on it, and will give someone another couple of years, and you should get more then scrap value. Nice cars them 600's!

1955diesel
02-02-2011, 17:03
The scrap value of cars is supposed to be at an all time high at the moment. An article on the TV yesterday was showing scrap dealers buying cheap running cars at auction because they were worth much more broken up.

retrobasshead
02-02-2011, 19:58
the scrap merchant near me in hertfordshire is paying 150 per ton at the minute ! sadly my vitesse coupe is heading there this weekend :(

MetroMartin
02-02-2011, 22:34
the scrap merchant near me in hertfordshire is paying 150 per ton at the minute ! sadly my vitesse coupe is heading there this weekend :(
surely a vitess coupe is worth more than 150, 170 mark complete with no mot on ebay?

devon
02-02-2011, 23:07
Which county are you in ? Keep on posting as my lad is looking for a Mazda 2.0D later in 2011. 25mpg on his current car .. so needs to go diesel route now.

I have a 14 yr old 146k 618i, so know where you are coming from. I will spend 500 pa on my 200 car. Illogical no - as it keeps on going, and a great deal cheaper than the pound notes (coins) flying off the depreciation . Criteria different, I had a Dolly Sprint, XR2 etc so I've had a lot a happy motoring (when insurance was affordable) . I would love to buy it, however no physical space. (too many cars on SORN already)

List the items to sort etc, ebay it. Any rust ? , with 120k engine could get 300.
Cam kit is 80 tops, last until 180k good 5 yrs motoring.

Mine still has original clutch at 146k, trust like I say to my lad - the Mazda lasts as long and is as reliable .. I had a 626 (1991) before my Rover.

All the best and safe motoring

rov618i
03-02-2011, 08:12
The scrap value of cars is supposed to be at an all time high at the moment. An article on the TV yesterday was showing scrap dealers buying cheap running cars at auction because they were worth much more broken up.

Just to chip in re scrap prices...I called a local scrapper to see if he had any 600's in, he misunderstood me as he quoted... "120 quid mate"... after a few seconds confusion I believe he thought I was trying to scrap one....so 120 quid was one scrappy quote! (P reg 172k)

Cheers

devon
03-02-2011, 12:26
Does anyone know if the 'backlog' of clearing all the scrappage vehicles has been acheived ?

Nearly a year now..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1263548/Now-did-say-left-car-The-28m-backlog-perfectly-driveable-vehicles-waiting-SCRAPPED.html

MetroMartin
03-02-2011, 16:56
Does anyone know if the 'backlog' of clearing all the scrappage vehicles has been acheived ?

Nearly a year now..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1263548/Now-did-say-left-car-The-28m-backlog-perfectly-driveable-vehicles-waiting-SCRAPPED.html

I think that was just in that area. I know locally cars on the scheme went straight to the scrappies which got the contract.
I know friends who are mechanics are garages and one of them was telling me how he had to drive a mk1 golf cabrio to be scrapped and get the certificate for it. He did say he used all the fuel in it first though.

devon
03-02-2011, 18:29
economy pressures .. times for less waste eh ?

from 2 days ago .. http://www.motortradenews.com/news/14-automotive-news/26602-economy-extends-replacement-cycles

Formula1Freak
05-02-2011, 09:10
Find out it's worth in scrap and then put it on eBay starting at that price with no reserve.

You'll find a couple of enthusiasts who take it to 100+ that amount I reckon.

:)