: What does the SRS light mean?

claire4
23-08-2004, 19:59
Hi guys, I am new on this site and i just need a question answered for me, I keep getting the SRS light in red come on in my Rover 214 what does this mean it has happened a few times and then suddenly it goes off the next time i drive it, which is a bit strange?
If someone could let me know I'd be really grateful!
Thank you!

Dr Dave
23-08-2004, 20:01
It means the SRS ECU has detected a fault and has shut the system down for safety reasons.

It's usually down to seatbelt pretensioner and rotary coupler connection faults, the system is that sensitive to bad connections.

claire4
23-08-2004, 20:04
It means the SRS ECU has detected a fault and has shut the system down for safety reasons.

It's usually down to seatbelt pretensioner and rotary coupler connection faults, the system is that sensitive to bad connections.
Okay which means what then? do i need to go and get it sorted? or will it be alright?
Thanks for replying by the way!

Dr Dave
23-08-2004, 20:06
You can ignore it - you're not breaking any laws....yet!

A bad connection just needs unclipping and cleaning then lubricating with WD40 and outting back together. All should be well then.

john_w
23-08-2004, 20:13
As Major says, probably the connection where the wire under the front seats plugs into the seat belt clip.

Dr Dave
23-08-2004, 20:16
Claire - I reckon you could fix this yourself.

No need to disconnect the battery to do the connector cleanup.

Orion
23-08-2004, 23:00
Bear in mind that while that little red light is on, your airbags will not fire and nor will your seatbelt pretensioners if you crash. So don't go drag racing with it.

Ingram knows better than I do about the safety aspects of disconnecting the SRS leads, but I can tell you that WD40 will only last for a time... cut an emery board to the right size and GENTLY scrub the contacts. Many electrical problems are caused by oxidation, and this removes it.

Dr Dave
24-08-2004, 06:19
SRS system contacts are gold plated, in an effort to get 100% connection reliability - but it doesn't seem to work!

cosb6
24-08-2004, 11:11
Yeah, have a go yourself.... technically your are breaking the law (as your vehicle will not pass an MOT), but it's nothing to really worry about...

Marko
24-08-2004, 11:40
Do you mean the SRS light on the dash or the red srs on the steering wheel though?

Grand Master
24-08-2004, 11:45
I thought you had to disconnect the battery for 10 mins or more before doing any work on the SRS system.

Respot
24-08-2004, 11:55
Yeah, have a go yourself.... technically your are breaking the law (as your vehicle will not pass an MOT), but it's nothing to really worry about...

Which law is that then ? and SRS doesn't come into the MOT ! ;)

DaveH

cosb6
24-08-2004, 12:41
hmmmm I think I'm thinking of the ABS... ooops..

Rover_ron
24-08-2004, 17:00
As Major says, probably the connection where the wire under the front seats plugs into the seat belt clip.

Yep, had this problem with my 45. It was caused by books/maps etc sliding under the seats and catching the cables. Just wiggling the cables, pushing the connectors together & keeping the under seat area free of junk solves the problem.
Not had it light up now for several weeks, whereas it was regularly lighting up in an upredictable fashion.

Dr Dave
24-08-2004, 17:31
Personally, I don't think there are many 25's and 45's out there NOT suffering some form of SRS light activation at some time in their lives.

roy_newell
24-08-2004, 17:53
since claire has not actually stipulated it comes on when driving I feel its my duty to say this JUST IN CASE.
The srs light should come on when you start the car for about 3-4 seconds then go out, just in case you didn't know that and thats all you're referring to as everyone has jumped straight in on the solution but if its only due to the normal wake up self test procedure then its pointless getting you to do stuff to your car.
If however you are referring to it coming on when driving then the above advice by everyone is more than helpful :D

Orion
24-08-2004, 22:22
The general concensus about SRS components used to be, "how can you test something when that test is destructive to the component in question?"

Of course the light on the dash means that the system isn't working so is obvious without any further testing.

It's a dead cert that when 100% of cars have SRS systems, (and I have no doubt that will be legislated for by our ever-caring government who just want to protect people and who have no interest at all in protecting Ford, Vauxhall etc. who just so happen to contribute heavily to them in kickbacks), then it will be part of the MOT in a full-on way.

After all, we all need protecting from ourselves. And won't somone think of the children? PLEASE? Please won't someone think of the chi-hi-hi-hilduh-uh-uh-n!?!?!?!?!

:***: :***: :***: :***:

Dr Dave
24-08-2004, 22:24
You hit the nail right on the head there Chris.

Now please go and contribute to the gloom and doom thread in the general MGR forum, give AE summat to write about next week?

Orion
24-08-2004, 22:34
I'm just a cynic. My director (who I report directly to) describes me as "the angriest person I have ever met". I just don't trust their motivations - big business and government don't do anything out of altruism after all.

Tell you what - I'll give AE something to write about - my ass. It's fuel-injected because I crammed a pump up there. I'll pull the trigger while they light a cigarette and write a review about how the new 5-series is "visionary". First person to flinch gets to drive home in a TATA pickup.