: Rover 75 Workshop Manual

SteveO
11-09-2005, 11:48
Looks like I'm on my own with the electric tailgate on my 75 Tourer not opening. Caffyns (where I bought the car new) to their credit are continuing with a sort of guarantee but they're well over a hundred miles away. I'm going to start having to get my hands dirty.

Anybody know where is the best source for a workshop manual? Haynes don't do one.

Many thanks.

Steve

Ken75
11-09-2005, 11:57
Haynes will be doing one next year which don't help you now. I would suggest you see this thread and take it from there.

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=87235&highlight=rave

It probably don't help you but you will see why I said read the thread.

Ken

MikeM
11-09-2005, 12:24
You can buy a fully legal workshop manual for the 75/ZT from here:

Brown and Gammons (http://bg.mgcars.org.uk/index1.html?o=110710157224970)

Click the CD Rom link on the lower left of the page

Regards

Mike

Dr Dave
11-09-2005, 12:26
Does the tailgate refuse to open at all?

MikeM
11-09-2005, 12:41
There was a thread on xpower forums about this problem sometime ago. Here's a link to it:

xpower thread (http://www.xpower-mg.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24722)

hth

Mike

SteveO
11-09-2005, 16:04
Thanks chaps. Looks like there's some hope for the WS manual then - this is a great car apart from its tailgate - I may hold out for the Haynes.

Yes, the tailgate is completely kaput. It can be released by the manual cord, though its electric button is 'dead' at all times and I get a little 'mislock' parp from the horn every time central locking is engaged. Doesn't sound like a common problem then...

Steve

Raykay
11-09-2005, 16:14
Just a thought, the cables for the latch go through a rubber tube at the top of the tailgate and into the body, chafing there is common on some other models causing all sorts of problems...................

SteveO
11-09-2005, 16:40
Just a thought, the cables for the latch go through a rubber tube at the top of the tailgate and into the body, chafing there is common on some other models causing all sorts of problems...................

A good thought that too... I've just been to have another look. The sheer back-and-forth flexure of the cables inside those two little rubber bellows at the tailgate hinge would have made for great unreliability I would have thought...

However they appear all right. The car is relatively new and the bellows are still in good condition. I've given them a good bit of manipulation just in case ... but no difference. It looks like I'll need a 'star' screwdriver to get the covers off.

Because the tailgate latch operates normally with the cord, and the switch has lost its electro-mechanical 'kick-back' feel, my feeling here is that it is the switch that is at fault or there is a bad connection to it. My knowledge of central locking systems is zero, so I don't know if the 'mislock' warning I'm getting fits in with this.

Steve

genpk
12-09-2005, 13:38
I know there is a common problem with some of the Rover electronic boot locks not unlocking properly or clicking multiple times. I believe an adjustment of the boot lock can fix this sort of problem,but if your not even getting a reaction from the lock sounds like a line power issue.

SteveO
12-09-2005, 19:50
Booked it into the local main agent for attention on Friday now. They're more than happy to assist, but I don't think my bank account will be... ouch!!

Steve

Dr Dave
12-09-2005, 19:52
Usually an adjustment and a blob of grease on the catch itslef cured it.

SteveO
26-09-2005, 21:56
An update.... it went into the local ex-main agents at Cheltenham who basically didn't have a clue - they didn't know that you could open the tailgate with a manual cord. They said the tailgate handle had 'collapsed' and both this and the latch would need replacing (even though the latch worked fine on manual operation).

They had to order the parts so I took the car away, still faulty. The next day everything returned to normal! The tailgate handle 'uncollapsed' and the mislock horn warning disappeared. The tailgate now operates perfectly and has remained fine. The garage have now got the parts but I've cancelled the job.

It's good to know Rovers can mend themselves - makes up for the lack of guarantee :lol:

MikeM
26-09-2005, 22:29
The next day everything returned to normal! The tailgate handle 'uncollapsed' and the mislock horn warning disappeared. The tailgate now operates perfectly and has remained fine. The garage have now got the parts but I've cancelled the job.
It's good to know Rovers can mend themselves - makes up for the lack of guarantee :lol:

Brilliant news Steve :)

Rovers eh-Don't you just love them!

Regards

Mike

ps would you be free to accompany me when I next visit my garage? Your luck is just exactly what I need :lol:

SteveO
27-09-2005, 06:34
Well, I can only assume (= hope) this fault was caused by some errant logic in the central locking system. It started after I leapt out of the car at a fill-up station and opened the tailgate - maybe too soon after stopping?

Basically perfect now. What a great car to drive, and how practical for my business the V6 Tourer is! Such a pity "they don't make 'em like that any more,,," ;)

V8King
27-09-2005, 09:00
.....would you be free to accompany me when I next visit my garage? Your luck is just exactly what I need :lol:

I really could do with some of that as well at the moment......