: Engine Restore

JDavy
29-09-2005, 20:05
What do you think of Ametech Engin Restore Oil, does it REALLY work? My engine is low on compression and can be a bit smokey, I was thinking of trying it.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AMETECH-ENGINE-RESTORE-OIL

santa20
29-09-2005, 20:26
I tried this for a laugh in the end, tbh I dont think it did anything, no long term effects (past 1000 miles) anyway and anything before then was barely noticable

JDavy
12-10-2005, 18:19
That's a shame. I heard some good reviews from others so I took a chance and tried it anyway and so far so good. I have noticed a real improvement.

santa20
19-10-2005, 20:04
if its anything like mine it will disapear quickly and become a bag of nails lol

Mark.L
19-10-2005, 20:24
There was another one of these type "Direct from America" type products on flea-bay last year!!..

It was called `Cargo seal-up`, and was the latest product from the states, that you added to your coolant system and it will seal ANY HGF for the LIFE of the engine!! "100% satisfaction or money back" type thing!!!..

Knowing our `beloved` engines fondness for said head gaskets, I emailed the "UK importer/seller" and asked how the stuff worked!!!...

No answer!, came his reply!!......... just another `Snake oil` me thinks!!.

Dr Dave
19-10-2005, 22:28
Waste of time! I think this is an advertising post/thread anyway!

Dr Dave
19-10-2005, 22:30
What do you think of Ametech Engin Restore Oil, does it REALLY work? My engine is low on compression and can be a bit smokey, I was thinking of trying it.

What, on a Rover 75??

shakenNstirred
20-10-2005, 01:42
even if it did work
once you started putting it in you would have to keep using it anyway or the engine would just go back to how it was before

santa20
20-10-2005, 07:36
I just need a new engine, will be approaching the 240k mark soon lol

empsburna
20-10-2005, 07:59
why the hell would NASA develop it for two and four stroke engines? Didnt realise they put men into space with two stroke engines?

chan chee hoe
20-10-2005, 14:04
If these so called "ENGINE RESTORER" is so good,i think many car workshop will need to "CLOSE SHOP"[Due to no BUSINESS].!!

Steve220
20-10-2005, 14:09
this is a similar product to doing the derv oil treatment in petrol engine's. it just contains detergent to flush the cr@p out of the engine
Steve

BN53
20-10-2005, 14:28
Ho Hum,

There is a lot of crap about but some of it works - to a degree.
My company used to import a 'restorer' that did work if you used it in accordance with it's capabilities but the 'snake oil' label killed it in the market.

They will not work if your engine is **acked , but will deposit PTFE or similar compounds to reduce leaks, tighten clearances etc.
I have used them in the Missus car to good effect.

I think the NASA claims are a little stretching the point, but the core technology involved in the science of 'tribology' did come from the space programme, just the yanks have more elastic advertising rules than us.

But, lets face it , pouring a can of stuff into a rocker box is no where near as much fun as spending a couple of weekends and a few hundred notes stripping down and rebuilding a motor !!

nebburns
20-10-2005, 19:55
this is a similar product to doing the derv oil treatment in petrol engine's. it just contains detergent to flush the cr@p out of the engine
Steve

steve, would you suggest doing this on a k series engine or is it just rumour?

oilman
11-04-2006, 10:44
I have chemical analysis on this product but do not wish to publish it here in the interests of being fair so please contact me by email should you wish to know what the Fuchs Chemists findings were.
Cheers
Simon

Phil
11-04-2006, 10:46
I have chemical analysis on this product but do not wish to publish it here in the interests of being fair so please contact me by email should you wish to know what the Fuchs Chemists findings were.
Cheers
Simon

We only want to know one thing, did it work or not?

rover jockey
11-04-2006, 10:57
We only want to know one thing, did it work or not? Course it didnt work!!, anyone who seriously believes worn bores,piston rings,valve guides bearing journals etc etc can magically be restored to like new by some quack potion you pour in your engine has serious mental health issues im afraid,.... yes sir your bores have 10 thou wear on them, never mind pour in my magic brew and new metal will grow in no time and your engine will be like the day left the factory,.. yeah right:bgrin: :bgrin:

oilman
11-04-2006, 11:01
The chemist was not impressed.

You can obtain a copy of his comments by emailing me sales@opieoils.co.uk

Would I use it? NO!

Cheers
Simon

ashy
11-04-2006, 11:30
It's a load of crap. Doesn't do a dickie bird. I tried it hoping it would quieten the piston slap and the noisy tappets, but hasn't made a jot of difference after 500 miles.

If you think about it sensibly there's just no way it could work.

enginerestore
12-04-2006, 13:56
Hi Simon, If your comments were addressed at me (enginerestore and Ametech ltd) i have no problem with you publishing the chemical composition of our RESTORE oil. I have been freely publishing the CSL copper silver lead formula for over 2 years now to give the sceptics something to chew on. In fact Ametech is the ONLY oil distribution company in the world that tells their clients what is in their oil and how it works. so go ahead Simon and copy me please. Many readers want to know does a litre of Ametech actually repair a worn engine in 500 miles and this is now up to you to tell them. They don't just want the oil analysis. I have over 6000 engines repaired in the UK now since November 2003 but no-one believes me of course. they don't even believe Quentin Willson in the Sunday Mirror who keeps raving about Ametech. Anyway i leave it up to you now. Thanks
Dave Burnett director Ametech Ltd, Engine Restore UK Ltd
I have 6000 testimonials here in the UK alone but here is one of our longest running engine tests with permission to print her contact details:

Christine A. Brown
6519 Georgia Drive
Randleman, NC 27317
336-495-9202
christine01@northstate.net (christine01@northstate.net)
Dear Ametech Company:
I have a 1994 Ford Tempo that now has over 562 thousand miles on her! I use Restore at every oil change and have for the last 265 thousand miles. Is it your product that keeps my baby going? I think so! That and regular maintenance. Thanks for such an incredible product! Respectfully, Christine A. Brown

oilman
12-04-2006, 14:05
Dave,

We spoke yesterday and I emailed you a copy of the Fuchs Chemists report as promised. I have not published the Chemists findings on any public forum or website as this would be both unfair to you and wrong as he is the author of the Chemical Analysis and comments as forwarded to you, not me I am not a Chemist.

I have read the testamonials and all the stuff on your ebay auctions and I am sure they are sincere and honest however we are talking about chemical analysis here, not testamonials.

I guess that you read the report and will be discussing its contents with Mr John Rowland himself as I have passed you his number.

Cheers
Simon

enginerestore
12-04-2006, 14:06
It's a load of crap. Doesn't do a dickie bird. I tried it hoping it would quieten the piston slap and the noisy tappets, but hasn't made a jot of difference after 500 miles.

Hi there, metal treatments (called babbetizing) have been used for 100+ years. RESTORE is the first product to use nano particles instead of mechanical labour.

Could i ask if you had additives in the oil when you tried RESTORE?
Magnatec (charged particles), Slick50 or Greased Lightning (both PTFE), Prolong or Motor Up (both chlorine), and other friction reducing additives will slow down or even prevent RESTORE OIL from being successful. RESTORE should be used with ordinary oil. thanks daveb

enginerestore
12-04-2006, 14:09
Star Cottage,
Forest Road,
Bream,
Glos
GL15 6LX
www.modelboatbuilder.co.uk (http://www.modelboatbuilder.co.uk)
JDavies278@Aol.com (JDavies278@Aol.com)
01594 564627
29/01/06

Dear Sir,
This is a completely unsolicited testimonial. Ametech engine restorer really does appears to work. Here’s the details.
We run an MG Maestro 2.0L efi (not the turbo) because it is comfortable, a good load carrier, was absurdly cheap to buy, has a 2 litre fuel-injected engine, power steering, and enough performance to keep up with today’s traffic. Family and work commitments mean we do a lot of miles.
As the engine came up to 100,000 miles, it began to use a noticeable amount of oil. This was very much more marked on long journeys involving sustained high speed.
At 104,000 miles, I carried out an oil and filter change, adding 500ml (two cans) of Ametech engine restorer, the recommended amount for a 2 litre engine. At a little over 105,000 miles, I accidentally kerbed the car and put a pin-hole in the sump. I eventually got the sump welded. This, of course, meant it had to come off. Another, unplanned, oil and filter change was done, at 106,000 miles. However, unavoidable commitments meant that for about 850 miles we had to keep driving the car, topping up constantly with cheap oil (The car got through several gallons of this stuff!). This second, unplanned, change at the sump repair was done without Ametech, refilling with Castrol GTX high mileage, my normal oil.
However, even though the Ametech was not in the engine for very long, it seems to have had a very marked effect. Yesterday I did a little under 350 miles, much of at speeds between 85 and 95 mph. The car used a little over half a pint of oil, which I find very acceptable. Before adding Ametech, say at about 103,000 miles, I would have expected to use at least four times that much, even using a good quality oil.
I have always been very sceptical of “magic potions” but I am convinced enough to write to you about Ametech. I will certainly be using it at the next oil change at 112,000. Please feel free to use this account any way you like, in whole or in part.

With best wishes,

John Davies.

ashy
12-04-2006, 15:36
Hi there, metal treatments (called babbetizing) have been used for 100+ years. RESTORE is the first product to use nano particles instead of mechanical labour.

Could i ask if you had additives in the oil when you tried RESTORE?
Magnatec (charged particles), Slick50 or Greased Lightning (both PTFE), Prolong or Motor Up (both chlorine), and other friction reducing additives will slow down or even prevent RESTORE OIL from being successful. RESTORE should be used with ordinary oil. thanks daveb

No, there was nothing in the oil. It was fresh Duckhams semi-synth 10/40 oil.

I've given it over 500 miles and can't really say I've noticed any difference and believe me I'd notice if there was, because I listen to every knock and noise my engine makes regularly.

Maybe it will work for some people in mild cases, but for a liquid containing particles to be able to bond itself with moving parts is a bit hard for me to grasp especially seeing as it will be suspended and diluted in another viscous liquid, namely motor oil.
I read up on the stuff before giving it a go. Some said yes it works others said no it's snake oil. The technology seems sound to read, but it's the practice part that seems to be a bit difficult to believe. So in that case I decided to make my own mind up and give it a go.

I had high hopes for it, but it just didn't happen for me I'm afraid. Maybe I should have used 2 cans instead of one, my engine is a 1.4 litre, however I feel putting too much of another substance in the oil would start to affect the oils own properties and would then infact increase wear.

oilman
12-04-2006, 15:54
I beleive that too much of any substance in an oil will change its properties and its cold crank and hot viscosity.

I have asked The Fuchs Chemist to comment on how Ametech will affect an oils viscosity and at what end of the temperature scale.

I guess he will need to run more tests to establish this.

Cheers
Simon

enginerestore
17-04-2006, 13:37
Hi Simon, when you talk with John Rowland at Fuchs, plse ask him to run a Timken Falex Pin Test (or a Timken 4 ball test) to test for thin film lubricity and i think he will find that RESTORE actually heals a damaged bearing race with copper silver and lead. Also he will probably know that most oils fail and weld the pin at between 100 and 200 ft.lbs, but the RESTORE treatment oil should resist over 1000ft.lbs before the pin welds. I understand John's 'chemical' scepticism but the simple fact is that however unorthodox RESTORE may be, it really does work, and will rebuild any worn engine in under 1000 miles or 20 hours of operation. By the way, I have been trying to call him John Rowland at Fuchs. thanks daveb

shakenNstirred
17-04-2006, 14:29
That's a shame. I heard some good reviews from others so I took a chance and tried it anyway and so far so good. I have noticed a real improvement.
but it wont last.
as it says you need to keep buying it to keep the effects going(if it does anything), so its not really worth it.

enginerestore
12-12-2006, 08:43
i'd like to send you some to try on a worn engine. thanks daveb 01728 726620

enginerestore
12-01-2007, 08:30
if its anything like mine it will disapear quickly and become a bag of nails lol

don't forget to do a flush before adding RESTORE, new oil, and a new filter, or the results can be temporary as the RESTORE will be trying to coat over sludge and carbon instead of engine metal (this explains why santa20 had temporary results ...) thanks

but here are some real users:
http://www.bmbikes.org.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=2951&highlight=ametech (http://www.bmbikes.org.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=2951&highlight=ametech)

and here's 3600 happy chappy's on ebay
http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=enginerestore&ss PageName=STRK:ME:UFS (http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=enginerestore&ssPageName=STRK:ME:UFS)

santa20
12-01-2007, 08:38
don't forget to do a flush before adding RESTORE, new oil, and a new filter, or the results can be temporary as the RESTORE will be trying to coat over sludge and carbon instead of engine metal (this explains why santa20 had temporary results ...) thanks

but here are some real users:
http://www.bmbikes.org.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=2951&highlight=ametech (http://www.bmbikes.org.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=2951&highlight=ametech)

and here's 3600 happy chappy's on ebay
http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=enginerestore&ss PageName=STRK:ME:UFS (http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=enginerestore&ssPageName=STRK:ME:UFS)
Funny because the person I bought it off (probbaly you) stated at the time to just add it to the current oil. Do I get my 25 quid back? (Or however much I paid)

enginerestore
24-01-2007, 18:23
Course it didnt work!!, anyone who seriously believes worn bores,piston rings,valve guides bearing journals etc etc can magically be restored to like new by some quack potion you pour in your engine has serious mental health issues im afraid,.... yes sir your bores have 10 thou wear on them, never mind pour in my magic brew and new metal will grow in no time and your engine will be like the day left the factory,.. yeah right:bgrin: :bgrin:

here is a more recent thread on a BMW site:
http://www.bmbikes.org.uk/Forum/view...hlight=ametech (http://www.bmbikes.org.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=2951&highlight=ametech)

enginerestore
24-01-2007, 19:10

hi ashy, here is a happy chappy on a BMW forum that might answer your questions:
www.bmbikes.org.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=2951&highlight=ametech (http://www.bmbikes.org.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=2951&highlight=ametech)

oilman
24-01-2007, 19:11
Bored with Pistonheads Mr Engine Restore?

Cheers
Simon

Phil
24-01-2007, 19:24
He should be banned.

rover414
24-01-2007, 19:34
Will add my experience with Amtech oil to this thread...

About 2 months ago I used Amtech oil in my 414.. as many will know i had a bloody annoying knock once the engine was up to temp...
This being the 105 1.4 k-series twin cam...

Decided to give it a try... did the whole 500 mile run in period and so on...
To be fair it did quieten down... but still audible....

recently did another oil change.... knocking noise returned...exactly as before...
granted it had quieten down whilst it was in the engine... i thought the concept of CSL particulates were to tighten the tolerances on such things as: Journals,smallends, liners,pistons and mains.. not as a temporary fix but to actually layer itself thus tightening the tolerances..

If this be the case...
Where does it stand in blocking fine oilways, oilfilter, pump..

The compression rings and oil scraper rings... being at such tight tolerances anyway... surely the rings would eventually become seized in the piston due to CSL build up...??

The idea in theory seems good...

I work on basic 2/4 stroke single and twins at work (generators) also on cordless gas nailers which all run on the same principle of the Internal Combustion engine..

Is there any B&W proof to show a build up on mechanical parts... such as an engine stripped down before amtech is used.. then rebuilt run with amtech... and stripped again??? measuring tolerances ....showing proof that it works???

Thanks