Rover 75/MG ZT First Car? - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 16-11-2015, 06:59 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 75
Post Rover 75/MG ZT First Car?

Hi,
Just doing a bit of research for when I get my first car in a few months. I've long been a car enthusiast and I'm looking for an interesting first car, that is fairly reliable. The two cars I was thinking of choosing between for my first are a Volvo 850/S70 or a Mercedes W202 C180/C200. Just out of curiosity, do you think it would be possible to own a 75/ZT as my first car without breaking the bank? Only the 2.5 V6 was sold in Australia so the 1.8T's head gasket issues shouldn't be an issue, even though I've heard that they still fail on the 2.5's.
Thankyou
James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 20-11-2015, 03:29 Thread Starter

Bump?
Maybe that was a lil long but how is a 75/ZT as a first car?
Thanks
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 27-11-2015, 07:05
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Tbh you'll get loads more response posting in the 600/zt section. Not had a zt myself, but with the v6 you need to be aware that timing belt change is expensive/ complicated if due. I don't think hgf is a common prob with these engines. VIS motors can give probs (as in don't always work) if fitted. If you were in the UK you should be able to get a good zt at a better price than a merc/ volvo ( but not sure what the market is like there). As I said, post the question in the zt area and you'll learn a lot more.

gnu

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 08:42 Thread Starter

Thanks man, will do!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 21:55
Supporter

Well I rarely come to this page but saw your post.
Im in Perth and have a ZT and a Rover 75. Love the cars to bits.
Value for money,nothing comes close to it.
Both cars are not particularly fast off the mark but do have long legs on the open road.
Comfort,cant beat the Rover,for handling the ZT is great.
I regularly drive 600km trips in them and never had an issue,that said you need to keep on top of anything that starts to be an issue.
Running costs are pretty good if you know where to buy parts,main issue is the cooling systems but if you decide your going to keep the car for a while there are a couple of things you can do to make the car bullet proof.
Pretty much like any other car really but better built.