ICE wiring & installation diagrams - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 19-05-2008, 14:58 Thread Starter

Car: VW Golf R32
ICE wiring & installation diagrams

Questions often appear related to the installation of ICE equipment.

In order to save repeated posts and uploading of images, this thread has been created to bring everything together and hopefully make it all clear.

If anyone feels anything should be added then feel free to post.

Wiring kits

Whenever you install any kit which makes use of an external amplifier (i.e. not powered by the head unit) you will need a wiring kit. Wiring kits are available from many audio stores and comprise of
• A power cable (around 5m)
• An earth cable (around 1m)
• A twin phono (RCA) interconnect lead (around 5m)
• A remote switch cable (around 5m)
• Fuse holder and terminals
• Speaker cable (around 5m)
• Some kits come with a fuse, otherwise you will need to buy one which is rated correctly for the equipment you wish to install.

AWG stands for Americal Wire Gauge and is often shortened to just "gauge". It represents the thickness of the wire and therefore its current carrying capability, (0 being the thickest).
You will have to buy a wiring kit which contains the correct gauge wiring for your equipment.
For relatively low powered equipment, 8AWG will be fine, for medium powered equipment (or more than one low powered amp) 4AWG will be ideal and for powerful equipment, 0AWG will be needed.

Alternator Whine

It is often recommended that power cables be installed along one side of the car and audio cables along the other. This is to minimise the risk of alternator whine. Having said this, I've installed systems with all the wiring along the same side and I've never had a problem.

The following diagram assumes you're wanting to install a sub / speakers powered from a single amp.

The ground connection on the amp should be made to a suitable point on the chassis. The metal should be clean and free from paint, rust, or anything else. A factory point is often used to save having to drill into the metal. The remote wire connects to the head unit to allow it to control when the amp switches on and off. This is so the amp's not on when your head unit is off.

The following diagram assumes you're wanting to install more than one amp. The example shows a 2 channel amp for front components and an active sub.

This is similar to installing one amp except for the inclusion of a few extra bits.

One of these is a distribution block, used to split the power cable.

In the diagram, fuse A and wire A should be of sufficient rating to carry the current for both amps. Fuses B and Wires B should be of sufficient rating to carry the current for the respective amps they're connecting to.

In multi-amp setups, the remote wire needs to be linked to both amps.

This is suitable for about two amps at the most otherwise too much current can be drawn from the head unit at once and damage caused. For installations with more amps a seperate supply should be used to send the remote signal, the head unit switching this on through a relay.

Finally, with multiple/4 channel amps, two sets of RCA cables are needed to send the audio signal from the head unit. For head units with only one set of RCA outputs, another option is available.

Firstly, Y splitters may be used. These split the signal from a single RCA lead into two, allowing connections to both amps.

Secondly, some amps have an RCA output as well as an input. If this is the case, it can be used to send the signal along to the second amp.

Hopefully all questions have been answered. If not, post below and I'll add in any extra info, with credit.

Last edited by Mike L; 19-05-2008 at 15:03.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 20-08-2008, 19:11

Car: 75 cdti conn, se facelift auto
alpine tv sat nav installation

have you any info on my message re alpine tv sat nav installation,dated 18/8/08 per tom dalton.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 21-09-2008, 13:55

Car: Pug 306 XSi
I'd like to point out Fuse A is merely to protect the wire, NOT the amps. Most amps have a built in fuse and this is the one that protects the amp. Some high end amps however need an external fuse.

Fuse A should be equivelantto the maximum current the wire can carry before setting itself alight in your car (hence the fuse needs to be at the front of the car not the back). 0 awg is usually 200-250a, 4 is usually 100a, and i don't know about 8.

The otehr 2 fuses should be altered according to the thickness of wire going from the distribution blocks to the amps. As most people (for example) would run 0 awg to the boot then split it into 2 runs of 4 awg (1 for a component amp, 1 for a sub amp). So you'd need a 200a at Fuse a, then both the other fuses would be 100a.

However thats a good guide otherwise

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 23-09-2008, 20:28 Thread Starter

Car: VW Golf R32
haha I've seen people corrected for that no end on TA

Just meant it as a simple guide so people can see the way a distro block works.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 17-01-2010, 21:34

Car: MG ZR MK1 1.8 120 RIP & MG ZR TD 170BHP RIP & Audi A3 2.0TDI
Send a message via MSN to chris.vincent3
im thinking about adding a second amp to run my 6x9's off, but i already have an active sub, so i would do what i have seen in your diagrams, thanks helped a lot, but would i need a power cap?

thanks.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 21-01-2010, 21:57

Car: Z4 3.0 ,rover mini Mayfair
Any alternatives to using rca on the head unit? If for example you don't have a rear output?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 28-01-2010, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyshipfakta View Post
Any alternatives to using rca on the head unit? If for example you don't have a rear output?
You need to get a Line Out Converter they wire inbetween any speaker wire and have the RCA ports you need

I have wired up a second amp afer installing an active subwoofer, i have upgraded my power cable to a 4 AWG and installed a distribution block etc etc etc, however, my subwoofer works fine and my second amp has power but doesnt put any sound out of my 6x9's? HELP?!

Thanks, Chris
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 24-02-2010, 23:54

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
wheres the best place to earth my amp in the bubble shape rover 400
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 20:57

hi, ive just got the wiring loom thing for my sony cdx-4000R (headunit) and its got a brown and a pink wire sticking out of it is it for the aerial?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 22:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by david hutcho View Post
hi, ive just got the wiring loom thing for my sony cdx-4000R (headunit) and its got a brown and a pink wire sticking out of it is it for the aerial?
the arial is usualy blue. the wire poking out the headunit itself or the wiring harness?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 23:05

the wiring harness the headunit is downstairs so id have to get back to you if you want to know how many it is across or anything lol could the brown be for ground?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 23:06

Quote:
the wiring harness the headunit is downstairs so id have to get back to you if you want to know how many it is across or anything lol could the brown be for ground?
if i remember rightly i think its speaker cable, not 100% sure though.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 23:40

ok i can probly get pics of it tomorrow if you want a look
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 00:29

Quote:
ok i can probly get pics of it tomorrow if you want a look
can do, and i'll try my best to help just done some searching for you, and i found the cable was a phone mute cable?

Last edited by chris.vincent3; 07-06-2010 at 00:34.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 02:11

allright thankx mate i dont have a clue matey lol ill take a pic tomorrow but i cant post it untill my mum gets back tomorrow afternoon 5-6ish
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 17:59

Car: MG ZR160 Le Mans green, Rover 25 1.4 sienna gold
rover 25 bodged cd player wiring

iv just got a 1999 rover 25 1.4 went to fit a new cd player onlh to find the previous owner has cut the adapter off the wires just wondering if anyone can help me identify what wires do what, cheers
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 20-07-2011, 18:00

Car: MG ZS 2.5 V6
thanks very usefull helped me no end but i do have 1 question, i am going to be running 2 amps using distribution block

amp 1 - fuse says 5ag50a? im guessing 50 amp, was in an 8 gauge kit
amp 2 - 30 amp from 10 gauge kit

so these are the relevant fuses to go in distro block, but what amp fuse and wire would i need from battery to distro block?

also can i use bigger fuse than needed in the distro block ( just would save few pennies)