no name 7" chinese head unit issue - MG-Rover.org Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Roverlike

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 21:40 Thread Starter

Car: Lotus Elise
no name 7" chinese head unit issue

has anyone had this issue I’m having with my no name Chinese 7” head unit, well its got a name on the front not sure it it means anything, Erisin ES842D

the other week had my car battery go completly flat, following this the head unit works just fine with the exception of not being able to read my SD card with mp3 music on it, and if I plug in a memory stick to the unit with MP3’s on it, same thing, the screen goes grey and nothing no music or any thing showing on the screen

all the other features on the unit work just fine as before, GPS (from another SD card) radio, CD, DVB-T TV, iPod and iPad connection will play music, and the bluetooth will connect with my smart phone and will even still play music from the phone on to the head unit, it’s just reading the SD card and the mini USB connection with a memory stick connected to it

I have reformatted 2gig, 4gig and 8gig cards to FAT32 but same thing, the screen goes grey and blank both when selecting SD card or the mini USB, if I take out the SD card the unit informs me there’s no card, it knows I have taken out the card, but if I do have a card in it I only get a blank screen, will not read the card

I am very pleased with this unit so would like to sort it out if I can, if anyone has come across this and might know a solution that I can do to make it read the SD card, it would be great

My limited knowledge on these things makes me think it might have something to do with the OS? everything works on it but reading the SD card and the mini USB

if it’s of help. the unit recognises cards up to 8 gig, I’ve formatted all the cards to FAT32 with a PC running XP, when that didn’t work I formatted the cards using an app called SDFormatter, still same thing,

I’ve lost count of the times I’ve pressing the reset button, I’ve even disconnected the unit from the car (power) for a good 9 hours, still nothing,

remembering once when the unit wouldn’t recognise the GPS SD card inserted in the unit, I went out and bought a new card for the GPS and since then the GPS has been working just fine, so I went and bought a new SD card, but got the same thing happen so formatted it wit the PC followed by using the SDFormatter and same as before, the screen goes grey and no music or anything else on the screen

grey screen

no SD card inserted

no USB connected

any help would be most welcome

Last edited by Mollydog; 12-03-2017 at 13:51.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 06:52
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
When your car battery went flat what you did? Took it out to recharge it or leave it in car and recharge there? Or changed battery completely?

When you disconnected your unit from the power from the car what you did? Did you completely removed your head unit from the car and disconnected ALL wires connecting it to the car?

You say that you have GPS SD card in the car? Where this GPS SD card is connected? Can you clone this SD card to new one? Can you try this cloned SD card for GPS and if cloned card is working for GPS can you put it for music and see if you will get grey screen again?
myraygem likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 15:30 Thread Starter

I discovered the battery was flat when I went to turn the key, the ignition light came on on the dash, then the clicking sound from the engine once the key was turned, and then complete silence,

I put my trickle charger on the battery (while it was still connected to the car), as the battery was too flat, the trickle charger was showing "error" on the LED screen and didnít charge the battery, so I didnít get to charge the battery, and just bought a new one

itís when I fitted in the new battery I noticed that the head unit no longer read the SD card or memory stick if connected, if not connected as the image shows, it knew SD card/memory stick wasnít connected

the first time I disconnected the unit from power, I un-pluged the connectís from the back of the unit, no wires going to the unit, losing all pre settings once power was restored t the unit, I did this for only one hour

then doing some googling, heard that disconnect all power for a minimum of 4 hours should be enough for a hard re-set, so I disconnected the battery from the car for a good 9 hours, no power the the complete car

once I reconnected power, same issue was there

not that I know this for a fact but only what Iíve been reading about how these Chinese head units (running WINCE not Android) work

these units have two OS running on them, one running WINCE5 or 6 for the GPS and one running the entertainment side of the unit, Iíll try it later putting the GPS SD card in the MP3 slot and see if it will read the card, but think it wonít

Iíve emailed erosion.com (the name on the unit) they replied asking me for my invoice number and who I got it from, I had explained all this to them on my first email, the unit is out of warrantee and who I bought it from, only wanted to know if they had a software patch that might help me, so waiting for them to get back to me a second time but donít hold out much luck

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 16:35
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
I was aiming onto hard reset but seems you already tried that. It would be odd that flat battery messed something with head unit music part in sense it no longer wants to read, but knowing that flat battery can mess memory of Pektron unit, nothing would surprise me.
Usualy reading capability is connected to firmware, but as you said that there is different OS inside, it is probably OS related and with interface with hardware. But at this moment I am guessing.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 14-03-2017, 06:42 Thread Starter

well I got a reply, I can't say I expected anything more:

==
hello,

if you buy via ebay, please contact with the ebay seller easyrising88service@erisin.com for help.

and we are afraid there is no software update for this unit, it is such old unit.

jane
===

such a shame to have to get rid of the unit as everything else works just fine, I should think they're not interested in repairs, only in selling more of the units

Last edited by Mollydog; 15-03-2017 at 05:13.