Clean inside of headlight - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 21-08-2011, 17:04 Thread Starter

Car: MKII ZR 105
Clean inside of headlight

Ive mentioned this before in the 200 section but with no replies so here i am.

Basically the previous owner of my new MKII ZR fitted HID's, in the process he drilled large holes into the covers to put the ballast wires through.

He was also stupid enough not to seal the holes up......

The result being visible dirt and dust on the inside and even a dead bug

Now when i come to fit my HID's from the 200 into the ZR ill take off the bumper and take out the headlights to do it neatly. In the process id like to clean up the lights on the inside.

Whats the bust way to do this? I had a look and it seems like the zr lights just unclip (with lots of clips), it this is the case is it easy to do without breaking the clips. If it involves baking the light apart like when detangoing 200 lights i dont really want to do this.....

An other option is perhaps using some sort of cleaner along with compressed air to remove dust, clean the lamp and then dry it out. But im not sure if this will work or what chemicals to use that wont ruin the plastic.

As a last resort a cloth taped to a screwdriver will do lol

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 21-08-2011, 19:55

Car: MG ZR+ 120 Mk1 (53) & Rover 25 GLi Mk2 (06).
Maybe you could tape some flexible tubing to the end of a vacuum cleaner nozzle and Hoover it out?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 21-08-2011, 23:27 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean & Green View Post
Maybe you could tape some flexible tubing to the end of a vacuum cleaner nozzle and Hoover it out?
i doubt it will just hoover off, it dried up dust from water marks so looks pretty stuck on

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 22-08-2011, 21:27

Car: Other Manufacturer
i think your only option may be to remove the light units however fiddly that may be and wash the lenses out with hot soapy water and use one of those long flexible wire bottle brushes to scrub the insides of the lenses up,you can then rinse with clean water and use compressed air or a hair dryer to blow out/dryout any remaining moisture,then just seal up the holes with some suitable rubber gromets and a bit of mastic/sealant.
that s how i would do it anyway HTH

pete
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 22-08-2011, 22:10 Thread Starter

Im removing the lights no matter what, im re-fitting my HID's once i get the h7 bulbs (my old ones were h4). The bulbs i got come with a grommet but ill use silicone too.

But yeh i was planning to take off the bumper and take out the lights to fit the HIDs neatly and clean them out. Guess ill try some glass cleaner and water then. Hopefully it will work.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 22-08-2011, 22:22

I would think the actual headlight lens is clear plastic and not glass, that's how it is on the MK1 so I'd be wary of using a bottle brush incase it scratches the lens.

I would cut a small price of sponge just large enough to fit through the bulb appature and attatch it to something long thin and reasonably flexable. Use some mild detergent and water then dry it out.

Last edited by Mean & Green; 22-08-2011 at 22:29.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 23-08-2011, 10:48 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean & Green View Post
I would think the actual headlight lens is clear plastic and not glass, that's how it is on the MK1 so I'd be wary of using a bottle brush incase it scratches the lens.

I would cut a small price of sponge just large enough to fit through the bulb appature and attatch it to something long thin and reasonably flexable. Use some mild detergent and water then dry it out.
Good idea, didnt think of sponge. I have loads from back in the day when my dad used to use them before i used microfibre sponges.

I could always "borrow" a pickup tool from work. A flexible shaft with a claw at the end for retrieving things lost in engines. Should be perfect.

Just added you a green block
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 23-08-2011, 19:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4743hudsonj View Post
Good idea, didnt think of sponge. I have loads from back in the day when my dad used to use them before i used microfibre sponges.

I could always "borrow" a pickup tool from work. A flexible shaft with a claw at the end for retrieving things lost in engines. Should be perfect.

Just added you a green block

Thank you for the rep

Yeah it's easy to forget sponges these days, but cheap bog standard sponges still have their place. I like using them for applying tyre dressing too.

I was thinking along the lines of using a flexible extension shaft that is normally used with a socket set for screwdriver bits etc, if you had one handy. It sounds like you've got it covered though, your idea should be fine
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 03:34

Car: CityRover
Do I have to remove the bumper to get at the headlights? if so you reckon fitting xenon bulbs with angel eyes, also will want to remove the bumper at some point to colour code it, looks awesome.