First time using Clay - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 20-09-2014, 12:07 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 623 GSI
First time using Clay

After reading much about claying paintwork on cars finally broke down and bought a couple of bars of clay. They are of medium grade and blue in colour. They arrived in the post yesterday so this mornign decided t brave it and have a go with them.

First thing down was the clay the windscreen on the MGF I am doing as despite good blades it left tiny streaks so washed it with so G3 pre wash then clayed the screen. Washed it off and dried it with mircofibre towel the tried the wipers.................................. much better.

Then onto a bit of paintwork. Tried a small patch on top of the N/S/F wing and honestly it didn't seem to make much difference. So moved to the boot lid and did a bit then a bit more until had half of it done and there is a slight difference but not the dramatic ones that seem to be show on the web.

Have come to the conclusion that it has been clayed before, have only had this one for 6 months, of not being in a town or city we get less muck. The problem with that idea is that the MGF came from Birmingham ?????

Anyway have carried on, have the drivers door,O/S/R wing, bonnet, reap lamp panel and bumper to do. As each panel is clayed it's then washed, wiped dry, the polished with some Simoniz polish which helps remove light scratches then waxed with Turtle Wax high gloss wax. Not the stuff detailers would use no doubt but have this stuff on hand and just want to make her look a bit better and cared for.

Will add some photos once I get finished.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 20-09-2014, 14:56

Car: MG ZR+ 120 Mk1 (53) & Rover 25 GLi Mk2 (06).
In my honest opinion clay does nothing to enhance appearance. I've never clayed a car and seen any difference yes it feels smoother and it leaves a better surface for products to bond to, but that is all. I think the risk of scratching out ways the benefits if your car is well looked after anyway.

Also I've never had clay turn particularly dirty like you see in some people's photos and I've clayed some very neglected cars.

Don't worry about the simoniz and Turtle Wax stuff, nothing wrong with it!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 20-09-2014, 17:23 Thread Starter

No photos as yet as it started to drizzle as I finished .......................... typical. The dirtiest panels oddly enough were the drivers door and the bonnet. The drivers door has bee got at at some point with a rattle can by the looks of it. Will see if a replacement door id viable.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 22-09-2014, 11:44

Car: Vauxhall Astra Turbo Diesel. Combo Turbo Diesel. Rover 825 V6 Coupe. Merlin Titanium Mountain Bike.
I so like the finish after claying a car.

First time we did my Dads last year, then colour magic'd it, the gloss was just so amazing and one guy walking past was so impressed he just walked up to the car body work looked at his reflection, straightened his tie and just waltzed off again, that sort of reaction, we had never seen before.

Polish looked better, car felt much better to touch, and polish lasted much longer too. I have to amit it took about 12 hours to clay bar the whole car the first time, but now it has been done it takes much less time (at leaset it does on the other cars I have used it on, as my Dad's is now overdue a clean (and rusting to bits now too)).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 24-09-2014, 01:35 Thread Starter

Well it seems that "Elsie" must look good now. Popped into the small market town on the hill on Monday to pick up a few things and as I came back to here parked on the street there were four people admiring her. I would guess that they were about retirement age.

The remarked how beautiful she looked so I thanked them and we got into a light conversation about her. In fact they asked if I had restored her. Nope but she is an ongoing rolling project.

So perhaps it was worth the aches and pains the claying and polishing caused me. It really upsets the ole arthritis and sets the ole back injuries to throbbing. The results of a mis-spent youth and motor cycle incidents.

Once I get her nose job done "Elsie" will look much improved indeed.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 21-02-2015, 06:27

Car: MG ZT 200 Celestial
As any article about flaying will tell you, it won't enhance anything. The purpose is to remove surface contaminants embedded in the pain that reflect light in all directions.
I personally enjoy using clay on tired motors, once done it gives you the best blank canvas to cut, Polish and seal over and that's the key, you won't notice the difference until you complete the last stage and you step back and admire it