Guide To Clay - Page 2 - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-02-2011, 18:56

Car: MGF
Send a message via AIM to LEEMANS
Results of a Claying Session!!

Very Pleased with the result!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 29-04-2011, 05:43

Car: 75 1.8T SE
I'm a big fan of clay bars - I use the Bilt Hamber one with some Meguiar's Last Touch (although you can just use water). For those still not convinced...

One freshly washed and apparently clean boot...

One brand new clay bar

Even ignoring the black bits which have come from contact with the bottom of the back windscreen rubber you can see how much dirt you cant normally see comes off

This is off just one door

It does take some time to do especially if its never been done before but if you polish/wax etc after when you come to do it again (I do it about every 3 months) it's a lot quicker. Finished result before polishing...

And after a polishing...

post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 18-12-2011, 16:30

Car: MG ZS 180 Mk2 (XPG)
On a previously unclayed (and an extremely dirty) car, how long would one expect to have to spend from its extremely dirty state, to being clayed and polished/waxed after (and including several tea breaks)?

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 18-12-2011, 16:58

Car: MG ZR+ 120 Mk1 (53) & Rover 25 GLi Mk2 (06).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aden View Post
On a previously unclayed (and an extremely dirty) car, how long would one expect to have to spend from its extremely dirty state, to being clayed and polished/waxed after (and including several tea breaks)?
It depends on the car and how many hours in a day you put into actually working on the car. I never stop for breaks I'd rather just crack on and get it done.

I'd allow yourself a weekend and take the time to do it carefully and properly.

You must properly wash the car before hand, and take your time with the clay to ensure you don't inflict any marks. Polishing can take a while depending on how good the paint is.

The best results come from the preparation (de contaminate & polish). So the most time should be spent getting that right.

Last edited by Mean & Green; 18-12-2011 at 17:06.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 18-12-2011, 18:25

Car: 75 1.8T SE
IŽd allow from about 1/2 to a full day to clay bar a rover 75 all depending on whether its 1st time or not.

IŽd also add its well worth doing a decontamination with iron-x which takes about 30 minutes if you work it in with a brush and is like doing a clay bar "plus" (see my othe thread).

Polishing (with a machine) can take anything from about 1/2 day upwards depending on how fussy you are. Waxing really is the essy part with about 30 mins to apply, 15-20 mins polish off. Again all down to what sort of result you want.

As in all things in life the more effort you put in..... :-)

Only good thing is once its done its a lot easier next time round.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 19-05-2012, 18:45

Car: MG TF 160 in Garnet, 1 of only 25 this colour and the first of 5 160's built
just done my F fully for the first time(did a wing when i first bought the kit), love how smooth it leaves the paint. it even cleaned a lot of the brake dust off the alloys.

pics don't really show the shine - need more sunshine.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 24-11-2012, 13:12

Car: Vauxhall Astra Turbo Diesel. Combo Turbo Diesel. Rover 825 V6 Coupe. Merlin Titanium Mountain Bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy View Post
Hiya. Great post..!!!!! I am going to buy some clay, been on the net for a bit of research, then onto ebay.. I am thinking about this particular brand...
Bilt Hamber Autoclay Clay Bar

Does anyone have any thoughts on this.? Your preferences maybe.???? Poppy.

Hi Poppy,

my brother who uses them a lot recently introduced me to them, but he bought me a Bilt Hamber bar after seeing the reviews they were getting. He said it was probably better than those he uses. He bought me a soft bar as the cars I have are pretty clean to start with.

My dad was told be a random stranger the other week (in a supermarket car park), that he had the cleanest car in the area! (wait we haven't tried it yet!)
hmmm, it needed a clean, and so we tested the clay bar. WOW! Clay bar'd and Colour Magic'd the difference was amazing!
I have cleaned many cars outside before, but never had the reactions that I have this time! 1 fella walked up to the car looked at his reflection in the bodywork (not glass or mirrors!) straightened his tie and waltzed off. 2 little girls could not help but comment on it to their Mum as they passed (they were like 4!). I was just amazed at how much attention cleaning the car was attracting!
+ putting the Colour Magic on was far easier than ever before, and buffed off far easier too. The car is also so slippy smooth to the touch that you just can't help but keep gliding your hands over it, for weeks later!

I have clay bar'd my own car last week now too! ...and SOLD it! (if i want to sell!) A guy has seen it knocked on my door and says if ever it's for sale he will buy it.
I want to keep it, but I am now in too minds as what to do, but he says he will buy it at any time in the future off me, as he has the space to store it.

Both took a good while to do, and the third of the clay bar I have used has now gone a few shades darker (but I might get the Golf and Jeep done with it too!). I just used a bucket of warm water, rather than a sprayer, wetting as I needed to.

How I did not know of clay bars before I do not know, but yet when people ask me what I have done to the paintwork, and I try and explain it too them, they just can't take it in, I think it's the 'clay' bit!, so I guess it was never a thing I was going to be told about myself anyway! Just glad my brother bought me one.

Seeing is believing!
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 18-10-2015, 11:54

Car: Classic Rover
I use the nanoskin saves me a lot of time