MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Looking for info on engine swaps 216

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  coupd16 
#1 ·
first off ill say hello. i used to drive a 216 coupe until saturday night when the engine totally gave up on me (headgasket) i am looking to swap the engine for something a bit more potent im open to any serious suggestions? i wont be doing the swap myself but a friend who is a mechanic. now my google-fu might be weak but i cant seem to find any useful information anywhere!! id love to have a VTEC engine mainly because i simply love the noise :=p:

so please any help would be greatly appreciated and any pitfalls regarding the swaps mentioned would also be greatful

thanks in advance

kev

#2 ·
depends on which engine you had originally.
If its a honda you have two main options- Vtec head on existing d16 sohc block- also known as a mini me conversion, or find a 216/416 gti and drop the d16 dohc lump into your coupe. The second option is probably the most straight forward and with a decent induction kit manifold and zorst you could probably free up a few more horses than the 130 the engine has in standard trim.

If it was a rover K series engine- then i'm sure someone will be along to tell you whats your best option-I've only ever owned a Honda powered r8!:p

Your first port of call should be doing a search on here or alternatively try rovertech.net. Im sure you will be able to find all the info you need:D

#3 ·
spot on, if its the >96 honda engine (says pgmfi on inlet manifold) you can just about drop a GTI twincam straight in, 145bhp is quite easily reached.

If its 96> K series then you're looking at a T series turbo or a 1.8 VVC motor to get any real power gains from the transplant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.