EML on - 2005 45td - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 20-04-2017, 15:46 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 45
EML on - 2005 45td

The EML has just come on with no other symptons. Just did a journey of about 30 miles, it came on after about 10 miles and stayed on until the end of the journey. Had a quick look under the bonnet but can't see anything obvious. The car appears to be running perfectly normally, any ideas? My son has an OBDII reader, would that be ok for the car (he's not here at the moment, so can't try it just now)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 20-04-2017, 16:30
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Your car is OBD II compliant, so you should read error codes to see why light got on.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 20-04-2017, 20:02

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
It could be caused by a multitude of things, read the code and let us know.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 21-04-2017, 12:38

Car: 2 Rover 25 Diesels and Rover 45 Mk2 diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkingcars View Post
It could be caused by a multitude of things, read the code and let us know.

It can, but if it is the top left EML then it may be that the EGR vacuum rubber pipe end has perished. My 45 has this problem. The top left EML lamp is the less serious of the two and will rest it self if the fault clears. The lower one with an exclamation mark is not self resetting, but there is not that much triggers it, TPS is one thing that will and serious fuel pump problems will as well, but TPS is mainly a 25 problem due to the wiring loom and not a common 45 problem.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 21-04-2017, 13:23 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny_Brain View Post
It can, but if it is the top left EML then it may be that the EGR vacuum rubber pipe end has perished. My 45 has this problem. The top left EML lamp is the less serious of the two and will rest it self if the fault clears. The lower one with an exclamation mark is not self resetting, but there is not that much triggers it, TPS is one thing that will and serious fuel pump problems will as well, but TPS is mainly a 25 problem due to the wiring loom and not a common 45 problem.
Thanks for that. It is the top left EML. I checked the EGR vacuum pipe, and it had perished. I have fitted another one
but the light is still on. Will it reset or will I have to clear it?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 21-04-2017, 21:22

Car: 2 Rover 25 Diesels and Rover 45 Mk2 diesel
I am not certain. On my car (2005 model) it goes out it self, but not sure if it takes a certain amount of time to clear. The problem is I just ignore it, initially when it first came on I noticed the EGR vacuum pipe was off the actuator so I put it back on an reset using my SP ACR4. The pipe came off again and the lamp came back on, I refitted the pipe and left the lamp on, but my wife drives the car most of the time and when I went to drive it I noticed the lamp had gone off by itself. I don't know why and when it goes off, but it does. I can say for sure it can be turned off using an ACR4 and if the fault is cleared it will eventually go off by it self on my car.

The EML on early 25 diesels will never go out until reset, it represented a serious engine management fault, such as TPS or fuel pump malfunction. The same is true on the exclamation mark lower EML on 45s if a fault occurs that brings that on. If the fault is clear, when the ignition is turned on, the lower lamp will come on, go out for about a second and then come on again and then stay on. If the fault has not cleared, it will come on when the ignition is turned on and remain on, it will not go out for the 1 second interval. The upper EML seems to be related to emission control faults such as MAF or EGR problems and is less serious.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 22-04-2017, 11:48 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny_Brain View Post
I am not certain. On my car (2005 model) it goes out it self, but not sure if it takes a certain amount of time to clear. The problem is I just ignore it, initially when it first came on I noticed the EGR vacuum pipe was off the actuator so I put it back on an reset using my SP ACR4. The pipe came off again and the lamp came back on, I refitted the pipe and left the lamp on, but my wife drives the car most of the time and when I went to drive it I noticed the lamp had gone off by itself. I don't know why and when it goes off, but it does. I can say for sure it can be turned off using an ACR4 and if the fault is cleared it will eventually go off by it self on my car.

The EML on early 25 diesels will never go out until reset, it represented a serious engine management fault, such as TPS or fuel pump malfunction. The same is true on the exclamation mark lower EML on 45s if a fault occurs that brings that on. If the fault is clear, when the ignition is turned on, the lower lamp will come on, go out for about a second and then come on again and then stay on. If the fault has not cleared, it will come on when the ignition is turned on and remain on, it will not go out for the 1 second interval. The upper EML seems to be related to emission control faults such as MAF or EGR problems and is less serious.
Went out in the car earlier on today and after about a mile the light went out, so clearly the pipe was the fault and it has reset itself. Very grateful for your help, much appreciated.