Intercooler oil leak - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 09:32 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
Intercooler oil leak

Hi,

There's some oil leaking from the intercooler on my 45 TD It seems to be coming from the top, but maybe from lower down as well as there's oil up the side of the air box:
http://www.verkauf.dsl.pipex.com/img/ic2.jpg

The previous owner has been botching at some point as the top hose has a plastic cable tie instead of a metal jubilee clip holding it on:
http://www.verkauf.dsl.pipex.com/img/ic1.jpg

Is this serious? Why would oil be leaking from it? I don't really understand intercoolers - isn't it air, not oil, going through the big hoses to and from the intercooler?

Cheers,
Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 09:55

Car: Other Manufacturer
Indeed it is air going through it.

Suggests that the turbo compressor seals could be knackered, leaking oil.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 09:58

Car: ZS+ 1??
The oily leak you can see is probably due to the hose being cable tied on, i'd replace it with a jubilee clip asap as it'll be leaking boost presssure. Give it a good clean up around the area affected and refit the pipe with the jubilee clip. This will probably cure the leak.

The engine oil breather system vents back into the air intake which causes the pipes to get mucked up with an oily residue so it's quite normal really.

Phil.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 09:59

Hi Andrew,

Assuming the hoses are in good condition and is not split that tie wrap is no where near upto the job of sealing the hose properley as standard it has to stand 14psi pressure. Again assuming it not using an excessive amount of oil then the oil substance that been deposited around the area of the intercooler is a mixture crap from the recirculated exhaust gases and the crank case breather which both are fed through the intake system and as in your case tend to show where theres a leak in it. Get it replaced asap with a new jubilee clip and check the tightness of all the others clean up the oily deposit and keep an eye on the area. Should maybe feel an improvement in the way the car drives once you have stop loosing boost pressure from the turbo.

cheers, Mark
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 10:04

Car: Maestros, 200, 600, ZTT
Send a message via MSN to E_T_V
Much more likely is that there is a split in the hose somewhere and it is leaking air. (the air naturally contains some oil fumes hence the oil staining).

Remove the pipe and check carefully for splits. Replace if you find any (you'll probably get better performance/economy too if it is a serious split although from the photos it doesn't look like it is).

Its a really common but easily fixed problem so no need to panic too much just yet. I really doubt if your turbo oil seals have gone.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 10:05

Car: Maestros, 200, 600, ZTT
Send a message via MSN to E_T_V
Oops my posting is too slow!

Glad everyone thinks along the same lines though.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 10:17

Car: Other Manufacturer
SOrry, I didn't see the botch up cable tie. As the others, but check the inside of the intercooler when you have the hose off.

While a little oil is normal, a lot of oil is not and you have to be careful with diesels as they can start eating themselves when oil starts getting thrown into them.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 10:41 Thread Starter

Wow, thanks everyone for all the info!

The car has only done 20k (14k when I got it), so it really shouldn't be the turbo seals.

It isn't losing oil as far as I can tell, so hopefully it is just the recirculated exhaust gas stuff as Donnydiesel400 said.

I've booked it in at an ex-Rover dealer for Friday anyway.

Thanks again,
Andrew
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 18:10

Car: MG ZS+ TD135+
Just to add my 2p - it can't be the recirculated exhaust fumes, as these vent into the inlet manifold. However, the crankcase breather vents oily fumes through the intercooler, and also the turbo if the seals are knackered (unlikely at that mileage unless molested).

Sorry if I'm being too pedantic about terminology here!

Tim
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 13-04-2007, 22:22 Thread Starter

I hope it's just oily fumes then!

The (ex) Rover dealer looked at it today anyway. They removed both hoses, checked & cleaned them, and refitted using a proper jubilee clip.

I'd written some notes for the engineer and mentioned the possibility of turbo seals and they never came back saying it was that, so I hope it's OK.

I guess if the seals were dodgy it would be using quite a bit of engine oil?

Cheers,
Andrew