L-series with over 200bhp already created... - Page 5 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #81 of 297 (permalink) Old 21-11-2010, 20:06

Car: Clio 1.2dynamic
Send a message via MSN to kaz19880
sorry leymans terms please surely the turbo is run by the air in the exhaust or will this setup be using one of these smarty pants vnt setups that dont understand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 297 (permalink) Old 21-11-2010, 21:31 Thread Starter

Car: ZS+ 170TD
When i said standard i meant hybrid standard

Either way it is certainly going to be interesting, how are you planning to deal with the inevitable torque steer with this setup then, as that is a fairly huge dollop of torque, and i am also making the assumption that it will have a lot of that big dollop available for more of the rev range than the hybrids.

I wait to read of the good results tho and keep my fingers crossed the car makes it through the 24hrs
post #83 of 297 (permalink) Old 22-11-2010, 17:28

Car: Maestros, 200, 600, ZTT
Send a message via MSN to E_T_V
Adding a bigger turbo won't give you that huge torque spike as it'll be higher in the rev range and thus smoothed out a fair bit.

Hence my aims to keep the standard clutch.

post #84 of 297 (permalink) Old 22-11-2010, 17:35 Thread Starter

Would not a VNT though cause this to happen as it spools and is a 'little turbo' down low and then becomes bigger as the revs\boost\magic increases?

I thought as a result it would have a similar quick spike, but the curve would be flatter for longer, thus holding more torque up to the rev range allowing for higher bhp as a result.
post #85 of 297 (permalink) Old 22-11-2010, 17:47

Car: Maestros, 200, 600, ZTT
Send a message via MSN to E_T_V
Yes to some degree, sorry I was referring to a big normal turbo like mine.

A VNT will generate more boost lower down than a normal turbo which is why diesels have them pretty universally now.
post #86 of 297 (permalink) Old 22-11-2010, 18:35

Car: Audi
Send a message via MSN to pocketbikeuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_b82 View Post
When i said standard i meant hybrid standard

Either way it is certainly going to be interesting, how are you planning to deal with the inevitable torque steer with this setup then, as that is a fairly huge dollop of torque, and i am also making the assumption that it will have a lot of that big dollop available for more of the rev range than the hybrids.

I wait to read of the good results tho and keep my fingers crossed the car makes it through the 24hrs
limited slip diff, we did look at equal length drive shafts but it was too much work.
post #87 of 297 (permalink) Old 22-11-2010, 19:14

Car: Rover 220 GTi diesel conv.
Anyone had a go in a sporty VAG TDi?

The power delivery is very different from a tuned L-series, it's very linear/progressive like the torque curve is flat across the powerband and a continuous wall of torque; like V8 in a way.

My same VAG mates have drove my ZS and comment that it feels faster as the torque initially comes in much stronger but fades away as the revs build, like a big surge.

I think I'd look at having the torque limited below 2500rpm to aid traction, so it's like now where it's around 240ftlb from 1800rpm. Also to take the strain off the driveshafts and gearbox. Alot of posts on tdiforum recommend nomore than 300ftlb @2000rpm to stop the transmission components suffering, and their gearbox is rated to 300ftlb in oem form! I'm sure the PG1 is rated at 180ftlb on the oem bearings!
post #88 of 297 (permalink) Old 22-11-2010, 20:58 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketbikeuk View Post
limited slip diff, we did look at equal length drive shafts but it was too much work.
I guessed as much, using a Quaife or Torsen?

Sorry being nosey i know but i am really curious as to how it all turns out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ220 View Post
Anyone had a go in a sporty VAG TDi?

The power delivery is very different from a tuned L-series, it's very linear/progressive like the torque curve is flat across the powerband and a continuous wall of torque; like V8 in a way.

My same VAG mates have drove my ZS and comment that it feels faster as the torque initially comes in much stronger but fades away as the revs build, like a big surge.

I think I'd look at having the torque limited below 2500rpm to aid traction, so it's like now where it's around 240ftlb from 1800rpm. Also to take the strain off the driveshafts and gearbox. Alot of posts on tdiforum recommend nomore than 300ftlb @2000rpm to stop the transmission components suffering, and their gearbox is rated to 300ftlb in oem form! I'm sure the PG1 is rated at 180ftlb on the oem bearings!
that is one reason why i have left the the OE torque limiters in place on mine ( i have no idea if it is done of fuelling % of max or whether it is a set value) but it seems silly to munch the box by flooring it in those gears imo.....

I had hoped that the hybrid would be like how you describe, and it is is to a lesser exent, it still has more torque than standard at 4400 than we have at 2000

i think the rating was 195 with the uprated box as that was the OEM 115 map's max value..... tho originally it was probably a lot less than that!
post #89 of 297 (permalink) Old 23-11-2010, 17:02

Quote:
I guessed as much, using a Quaife or Torsen?

Sorry being nosey i know but i am really curious as to how it all turns out
Quaife lsd is what we have and straight cut gears may even go sequential eventually
post #90 of 297 (permalink) Old 26-11-2010, 08:14

Just thought id add we are making a new inlet manifold now and intercooler piping kit so we will have a full diy install kit ready off the shelf so you can bolt on at home to save on costly garage bills. Also the price of the kits depends if you want stainless or mild steel manifolds and down pipe as the kit will be available in both.
post #91 of 297 (permalink) Old 26-11-2010, 08:43

Car: Rover 220 GTi diesel conv.
this is getting better and better

Matt, if i was to bolt the kit on at home, how would i go about getting the mapping done? Is it a case of booking one of your agents to visit my car at home etc and have the new VNT map added?

cheers
post #92 of 297 (permalink) Old 26-11-2010, 09:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ220 View Post
this is getting better and better

Matt, if i was to bolt the kit on at home, how would i go about getting the mapping done? Is it a case of booking one of your agents to visit my car at home etc and have the new VNT map added?

cheers
this would be the ideal case yes.
post #93 of 297 (permalink) Old 26-11-2010, 10:20

Car: '64 Ford Focus and ZR160 Track Car
Send a message via MSN to Catterall1
Quote:
Just thought id add we are making a new inlet manifold now and intercooler piping kit so we will have a full diy install kit ready off the shelf so you can bolt on at home to save on costly garage bills. Also the price of the kits depends if you want stainless or mild steel manifolds and down pipe as the kit will be available in both.
Have you go a rough idea of the prices of the kits yet mate?

Im sure you have quite a few interested members
post #94 of 297 (permalink) Old 26-11-2010, 10:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catterall1 View Post
Have you go a rough idea of the prices of the kits yet mate?

Im sure you have quite a few interested members
not yet but not too far off knowing
post #95 of 297 (permalink) Old 26-11-2010, 10:56

Fair enough mate.
Is it likely to be more than 500 would you say?
post #96 of 297 (permalink) Old 26-11-2010, 12:02 Thread Starter

i would say so yes, seeing as Matt said he would only supply a brand new turbo
post #97 of 297 (permalink) Old 26-11-2010, 16:44

Quote:
i would say so yes, seeing as Matt said he would only supply a brand new turbo
Indeed.
However if a uprated clutch and "used" turbo was already sourced?
Forgot to mention it in the previous post. I was supposed to be working lol
post #98 of 297 (permalink) Old 26-11-2010, 17:43

Car: Bubble 220 SDi (98).
Quote:
You would have to find a way to control the turbo as we can use erg control on your car to control it. we are looking at controllers to work with the electronic actuator. Fitted as standard to the turbos.
So would any of these kits work with the older 200 engined L series with intercoolers ?

I'd be interested in a 180 kit, don't want the out and out top stuff just something to wake a few people up with....
post #99 of 297 (permalink) Old 26-11-2010, 20:06

Car: Land Rover 90 pick up Abarth 595 Tourismo, BMW 3 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by 220Deano View Post
So would any of these kits work with the older 200 engined L series with intercoolers ?

I'd be interested in a 180 kit, don't want the out and out top stuff just something to wake a few people up with....
I think 180 would piddle rings round most things as my boys ZR with sdi injectors, decat, remap and 19psi of boost will pull away from my diesel M Sport with 177bhp from a roundabout in 2nd as I recently found out.

Paul
post #100 of 297 (permalink) Old 26-11-2010, 21:00

Car: MG ZR 160TDi
Send a message via MSN to radion_auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTF View Post
I think 180 would piddle rings round most things as my boys ZR with sdi injectors, decat, remap and 19psi of boost will pull away from my diesel M Sport with 177bhp from a roundabout in 2nd as I recently found out.

Paul
So much for it being an "ultimate driving machine"?