MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Is a MG ZR steering rack a direct application on a Rover 25

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  HughmR 
#1 ·
Like the title says...

Is a MG ZR Diesel steering rack a direct application on a Rover 25 Diesel or it needs any modification?

I'm asking because my 25 steering rack is leaking a little and something i think it's steering rack related too is making a "clunk" noise sometimes when steering, so and i'm planning to replace it.

However, since i have hairpin wheels and the car is lowered, they rub when full turned. Moreover, i prefer a more "direct steering", so if the ZR steering rack would be a direct application it would be great but i need to be sure before i order it.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Some people say the steering rack ratio is different which provide a more "direct feeling" but in fact i already read exactly what you said too.

Any other eventual benefits are welcome but most important it's to be plug and play.

By the way, i take the chance to expose the problem the car have besides the steering rack oil leak.

After turning the steering wheel all the way to right side, when returning to left, when it's about to or reaches the center, i hear a "clunk".

It happens with the engine off or on and when parked or at very low speeds. I don't know if it happens at higher speeds because other noises and it's impossible to turn the steering wheel all the way to right side.

Sometimes at lower speeds i notice a kind of a "shake" when turning the wheel followed by a kinda loud "hmmmmm". I already noticed this "hmmmm" for a long long time (years) but now seems worse.

The mechanic checked the car briefly and wasn't to detect from where the problem cames from but he's inclined to the steering rack. Fluids are ok.

I don't know if he checked but i already heard of some cases with these symptoms where the cause were some of the steering rack screws loose but it would be so good to be true.

#4 ·
Does the clunk happen when the car is jacked up or on the ground? On the ground check the Roll bar links failing that it could be the bearing at the top of the shocks. Had the same problem on mine until I fitted new links but was told of the other as a possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.