MG-Rover.org Forums banner

MG ZT CDTi with the BMW engine, but which one?

20K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  RJ303 
#1 ·
I have a MG ZT CDTi with the BMW derived 2.0 diesel, what I want to find out is which variant it is as there was a 114bhp and a 135bhp how do I find out.

Also what is the most productive plug and play performance mod (ie chip units) as I have read a little on this but Im a long way short of knowing the best/most popular and easiest methods....

#2 ·
The engine is a MT47, and comes in 2 power levels.

The CDT is 115bhp, the CDTi is 135bhp.

Both variations have the exactly the same engine, just the ecu map is different.

Both variants can be re-mapped to around 160bhp.

A re-map from Reidy Re-map costs £250 or so, many of his agents around the country (including myself), can re-map the car for you.

Where are you based?

Cheers
Dave

#4 ·
The engine is a MT47, and comes in 2 power levels.

The CDT is 115bhp, the CDTi is 135bhp.

Both variations have the exactly the same engine, just the ecu map is different.

Both variants can be re-mapped to around 160bhp.

A re-map from Reidy Re-map costs £250 or so, many of his agents around the country (including myself), can re-map the car for you.

Where are you based?

Cheers
Dave
Thanks for the reply - I thought the CDTi came in 2 power levels, thats the impression I got after some brief reading on the net
http://www.responsechips.com/produc...d=68&sess_id=cc0d6cb87d67d3be172c126753ef5c21
this website has the Rover 75/MG ZT as CDTi's with 2 different power levels and I have read that the 135 model was a dealer upgrade up until around 2002 when it became the standard power level. Im based in th East Yorkshire in the Kingston Upon Hull area BTW

#3 ·
Stock Power - There should be a sticker on the B Pillar. It sometimes says on the V5 too.

For more power, a Rover Ron tuning box comes HIGHLY recommended. Just Google that name, or look in the RR Diesel Forum. Once thats fitted, there's an air intake mod, which helps breathing - it's basically just cutting the corrugated plastic that joing the radiator to the air intake box. A box & this mod, should see you with about 150-160BHP and loads of torque.

#5 ·
Stock Power - There should be a sticker on the B Pillar. It sometimes says on the V5 too.

For more power, a Rover Ron tuning box comes HIGHLY recommended. Just Google that name, or look in the RR Diesel Forum. Once thats fitted, there's an air intake mod, which helps breathing - it's basically just cutting the corrugated plastic that joing the radiator to the air intake box. A box & this mod, should see you with about 150-160BHP and loads of torque.
What should I be looking for on the B pillar sticker? I did check the V5 but it gives nothing away with regards power levels.
I will look into the Rover Ron box and is there a guide on the airbox mod?

#9 · (Edited)
Yes. Most use a poncy gt15 unit. Some sources say the gt20 gets a look in but it's hard to be sure, because there's a lot of conflicting information on that (some report a mitsubishi unit too). However either way none of these are VNT.

What I do know is the rover 75 turbo I got sent by mistake once was smaller than that found on a non-intercooled 220 DS.

#11 ·
It's a mitsubishi turbo used on the 75s/ZTs. Matt told me it'll flow a similar amount to the turbo on the 200/25s and it also seems to be the limiting factor when aiming for over 170bhp with these engines.

As said earlier the 116 and the 135 are exactly the same engine, the only difference is the mapping. The 135s sometimes have a 135 Xpower sticker inside the door shut on the B pillar if the Xpower remap was applied by a dealer.

There's also a way of looking up which model you have by checking the variant number on the V5 and comparing it to a chart. The chart should be on this site somewhere but I can't find it...

#13 ·
It's a mitsubishi turbo used on the 75s/ZTs
Interesting. I got my paws on one and it definitely was garrett (gt1544) so don't know what happened there. I've a feeling several types are in use. It's not the first instance I know of where bmw engines can have either mitsu or garrett turbos fitted.

I've never heard of a zr getting 170 from their turbo though, i only know of one 75 that apparently acheived this?

I don't really follow 75 tuning but would be interesting to hear more. I've a feeling you get a bigger turbo with the 135hp model.

#15 ·
Just doing a quick google the gt1544 looks to have a different exhaust flange so it would be odd if they used both but as you say stranger things have happened!

The ZT and 75s are the same spec engine wise and definately share the same turbo either 116 or 135. Robdrinkwater a mod on here over on the 75 section claimed to have made significantly more than 170bhp but personally I'm cautious in accepting such high figures after speaking to Matt from Reidy remaps whos opinion I value. He described a ZT which had a FMIC, air mod, exhaust, egr bypass and remap which made roughly 170bhp IIRC whilst keeping the boost down to relatively safe levels. He said the turbo was the limiting factor - it couldn't flow enough. No one really knows for sure the limitations of the gearbox and clutch either except to say some people have had problems with replacement non OE clutches and over 150bhp. Original OE clutches and standard boxes appear to cope ok with 160bhp but I've not heard of any one pushing 170bhp longterm.

That said it's very easy to get carried away with the figures, with the additional weight of the car it's never going to be amazing off the line but the extra power over standard gives a comfortable amount of power should you need it :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.