Rover 45 2001 diesel cam belt - MG-Rover.org Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 30-06-2006, 17:03 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Car: Rover 45
Posts: 8
Rover 45 2001 diesel cam belt

Hi
Does anyone know the mileage intervals for changing the cam belt on this car. I'm currently on 45,000 miles, hopefully its 72,000 miles.

Can't find any reference to the intervals though.
nicolap99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 30-06-2006, 20:17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Yorkshire
Car: Other Rover
Posts: 13
Send a message via MSN to bellautos Send a message via Skype™ to bellautos
Rover 45 2.0L Turbo Engine code 20T


Manual tensioner type 2001> 48,000 or 4 years
Auto tensioner type 2001> 84,000 or 7 years

info acording to 2004 AutoData

Both timing belt and injection pump belt recomended


Regards Bell
www.bellautoservices.co.uk
bellautos is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 30-06-2006, 20:25 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Car: Rover 45
Posts: 8
Thanks for the info.

How will I know whether I've got the Manual tensioner type or the Automatic type.

The registration of the car is on a 51 plate.
nicolap99 is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 30-06-2006, 20:38
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Yorkshire
Car: Other Rover
Posts: 13
Send a message via MSN to bellautos Send a message via Skype™ to bellautos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolap99
Thanks for the info.

How will I know whether I've got the Manual tensioner type or the Automatic type.

The registration of the car is on a 51 plate.
Thats the problem m8,, you realy need to strip the casing of to look.
Cam belt jobs are not for the faint hearted tho.
bellautos is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 30-06-2006, 21:03 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Car: Rover 45
Posts: 8
Oh well, looks like I'll have to get the job done then. Any idea of the total cost by an independant garage? Dealer servicing is just too expensive for me.

In fact I rang a dealer today, and they told me the 45 didn't have a belt - that it has a chain - so not much confidence there.
nicolap99 is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 30-06-2006, 21:06
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Yorkshire
Car: Other Rover
Posts: 13
Send a message via MSN to bellautos Send a message via Skype™ to bellautos
It is listed in autodata to take 3,10 hrs.

Hope this helps m8

regards bell
bellautos is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 30-06-2006, 21:26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Warwickshire , Coventry
Car: 190 in Firefrost
Posts: 5,662
Send a message via MSN to lates
< £200 if you shop about.
lates is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 17:42
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wiltshire
Car: Corsa 1.5 TD, was 25TD
Posts: 3,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolap99
Hi
Does anyone know the mileage intervals for changing the cam belt on this car. I'm currently on 45,000 miles, hopefully its 72,000 miles.

Can't find any reference to the intervals though.
I have a 25 TD the 45 may be different. I had a similar dilema as you. So, anyway, I thought best to get the info from the horses mouth - Rover, I phone a Rover (or ex) near me and they very kndly supplied me with the following info :- Bearing in mind I asked about the 25, no idea if the 45 is the same, but it should be shouldn't it ?

Up to chassis number RF 545050 is 84000 miles
After chassis number RF 545050 is 48000 miles

I looked at my Registration Document and there are more letters and digits than the above numbers, but if you look hard enough, you should see the relevant letters, and the numbers on the end. If in any doubt, best to ask a Rover dealer.
RevorTD is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 21:51
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Car: Classic Rover
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevorTD View Post
I have a 25 TD the 45 may be different. I had a similar dilema as you. So, anyway, I thought best to get the info from the horses mouth - Rover, I phone a Rover (or ex) near me and they very kndly supplied me with the following info :- Bearing in mind I asked about the 25, no idea if the 45 is the same, but it should be shouldn't it ?

Up to chassis number RF 545050 is 84000 miles
After chassis number RF 545050 is 48000 miles

I looked at my Registration Document and there are more letters and digits than the above numbers, but if you look hard enough, you should see the relevant letters, and the numbers on the end. If in any doubt, best to ask a Rover dealer.
surely you must have that the other way around, i thought the newer versions had timing belts which lasted 84k, i have a w-reg 2.0 td which is manyfacured in july 2000.

can anyone advise when it recommended to change timing belt.
veggiecar is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 10:22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: midlands
Car: Rover 25
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiecar View Post
surely you must have that the other way around, i thought the newer versions had timing belts which lasted 84k, i have a w-reg 2.0 td which is manyfacured in july 2000.

can anyone advise when it recommended to change timing belt.
its not just mileage but age aswell,as yours is a 2000 model its time to change it regardless of the mileage imo.

ian
muppet is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 22:07
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Car: Classic Rover
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
its not just mileage but age aswell,as yours is a 2000 model its time to change it regardless of the mileage imo.

ian
better to be safe then sorry, gonna change the timing belt and pump belt. another question does the timing belt pulley have to be changed also?

bit happy today, new maf sensor arrived for bargain price for £35, worked a treat and idling correct and much better performance.
veggiecar is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 22:20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
Posts: 5
pre 2001 84k or 7yrs 2001 automatice tensioner 84k or 7yrs manual 48k if doing urself change both belts u need a 6.75 & 9.75 locking pins 4this job
andrew5874 is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 20:56
Administrator
 
Dr Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Car: 2006 330d M Sport
Posts: 79,195
Blog Entries: 5
Garages
Early cars had manual tensioners and 84k belt life

Later cars had auto tensioner and 48k belt life

Progress for ya! NOT
Dr Dave is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 20:59
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Telford, Shropshire
Car: MG ZT 260SE & Rover 25 iL Derv
Posts: 10,842
Blog Entries: 3
Send a message via MSN to Stu C
i wouldnt worry too much about it, think mine was changed at 50k 1st time around, and i had them re done at 140k she runs like a little trooper now
Stu C is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 14-09-2006, 21:57
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: was ENGLAND
Car: 45 TD
Posts: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellautos View Post
Rover 45 2.0L Turbo Engine code 20T


Manual tensioner type 2001> 48,000 or 4 years
Auto tensioner type 2001> 84,000 or 7 years

info acording to 2004 AutoData

Both timing belt and injection pump belt recomended


Regards Bell
www.bellautoservices.co.uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
Early cars had manual tensioners and 84k belt life

Later cars had auto tensioner and 48k belt life

Progress for ya! NOT
could someone please clarify here, as one post appears to condradict the other??
doug is offline  
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 15-09-2006, 15:09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: midlands
Car: Rover 25
Posts: 253
theres always confusion on this matter,

just change it at 50k or 5/6 years whichever comes first for peace of mind if you intend keeping it a while.

spending £200/£250 on this is well worth it in the long run imo.

ian
muppet is offline  
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 15-09-2006, 19:37
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: was ENGLAND
Car: 45 TD
Posts: 552
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
theres always confusion on this matter,

just change it at 50k or 5/6 years whichever comes first for peace of mind if you intend keeping it a while.

spending £200/£250 on this is well worth it in the long run imo.

ian
aye, as you say peace of mind, probably change them myself though, doug.
doug is offline  
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 17-09-2006, 21:35
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: was ENGLAND
Car: 45 TD
Posts: 552
I may be wrong!, but it would appear that it's just the FIP belt that requires replacing @ 48,000m on the later models?? and the cambelt @84000m....... anyone know for sure??
doug is offline  
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 18-09-2006, 05:19
Administrator
 
Dr Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Car: 2006 330d M Sport
Posts: 79,195
Blog Entries: 5
Garages
I could be wrong on the tensioner types........

BOTH belts need to be changed at the same time & mileage.
Dr Dave is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MG-Rover.org Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which cam/pump timing belt kits do i need for my 2001 Rover 45 2.0 TD? langadeb Diesel Forum! 7 27-10-2008 13:15
Which cam/pump timing belt kits do i need for my 2001 Rover 45 2.0 TD? langadeb MG ZS / Rover 45 & 400 3 27-10-2008 10:52
For sale, 2001 Rover 45 ixl turbo diesel dap1977 For Sale 8 03-09-2008 18:59
rover 45 diesel 2001 overheating help please!! pkhoopsa MG ZS / Rover 45 & 400 6 29-02-2008 23:43

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome