Rover 45 L Series Backfiring and White Smoke - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 08:13 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 45
Unhappy Rover 45 L Series Backfiring and White Smoke

hello need some help

I have a rover 45 2.0l L series engine had it for 3 years sold car to a mate and he said the car ran but it wouldnt go passed 70mph it will die come down and pick back up again some times cut out but drive-able untill the bolt on the cam snapped damaging the valves so took of the head to find all the exhaust valves was bent and caps was cracked so took the head off replaced the head all new gaskets, valves stem seals, etc started up white smoke everywhere so i thought injectors so replaced them started it up a bit of smoke but cleared after a few mins runs fine on tick over but when you put your foot down slowly the car will rev up but you get to the top end the car sounds like its backfiring and lots of white smoke.

so the injectors have bin done, i read on the internet some people said its a blocked cat so i have removed it started the car with it off and the same thing happens, changed the EGR valve and cooler still happens so i thought the turbo was a fault so i also changed the turbo and the still happens i am putting in all this money in don't no what to try next would of been cheaper to buy a new complete engine put the money i put into this one i want to to work.

is it possible to have the fuel pump and cam timing 180 out ? will it still run i done everything i can think this is the last i can think of is there something i am missing?

NEED HELP PLEASE dont no what to do next ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 18-04-2017, 21:24

Car: Maestros, 200, 600, ZTT
Send a message via MSN to E_T_V
I would unplug the MAF sensor first of all.

Then if no improvement then re-check the fuel pump belt timing as this is really easy to get wrong.