Split Intercooler Pipe and Turbo Oil Leak - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 18-04-2017, 12:13 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 25 2.0TD
Split Intercooler Pipe and Turbo Oil Leak

Hi all,

R25 TD 54 145K

Had the smoke upon acceleration and loss of power and found the large front post intercooler hose split BADLY - I could get most my hand in!

It was very oily so I wondered if it was caused by some sort of slow leak. I have read this a common failure, and the pipe normally gets oily and I think the pipe has 145k miles on it!

However, seems too much oil? So I took the engine cover off and taped up the pipe to limp home (hundreds of miles) but now home have noticed the turbo seems very oily outside / its pipes. Is this a coincidence or the feeder pipe. I have changed the oil feed pipes twice on the car, I think doing about 60k each time.

I have also been losing some coolant, perhaps its related due to heat / needs an oil change.

I don't hammer the turbo too much but if its got issues (seals etc) perhaps the car is telling me its had enough

Cheers.

Last edited by trancera; 18-04-2017 at 12:14. Reason: title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 18-04-2017, 17:49 Thread Starter

Big trouble now :(

Just had to go on a little run - just 2/3 miles. Only to get out the car and find the coolant dripping on the floor.

Approximately 500ml used driving back.

All I could see was dripping down the back to the right of the turbo -ish- but hard to see where from with no ramp, bottom cover on and sun low. Not sure I'll get it all the way to the garage.

Drove 200 miles yesterday with little or no loss so weird.

Thanks for any help.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 18-04-2017, 18:44
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Bad luck. You need to check where the coolant's coming from. They can leak when cold, and not when hot as every thing expands.

gnu

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 18-04-2017, 18:51 Thread Starter

Thanks gnu.

As said I don't really have much means of getting underneath, except just a jack, and that's risky. I'm going to have to get it to the garage.

Is it possible to overfill past the max coolant line knowing it'll probably soon go or would that be worse?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 18-04-2017, 21:41

Car: Maestros, 200, 600, ZTT
Send a message via MSN to E_T_V
Split intercooler hoses are very common. They are always oily inside - that is normal.

Coolant loss isn't normal - so find out where it is going!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 18-04-2017, 22:57 Thread Starter

Thanks E_T_V

I had read many of your previous thread comments re oily inter cooler hose so thought that's all until severe coolant loss today - showering the under tray.

It has had an on off coolant loss for a while. Totally baffling, never seen it leak. Popped bonnet one day empty tank (no warning light for this I assume). Then weeks or more of seemingly no loss at all.

But also wondered if my limp home taping of the intercooler hose / failing hose could have been slightly causing overheat and some loss. I taped it so tight it reduced the internal size.

I'll have a look on the street in the morning after rush hour and try a picture. Oh for a ramp / pit, lights and tools!

Cheers.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 20-04-2017, 15:16 Thread Starter

Well I went out for a look yesterday and a car mad neighbour (4 cars inc TVR) came out and offered his time, driveway and trolley jack and stands!

After a short amount of running we could see nothing at all but once at temp a high revving revealed leaking near the front middle. I had to get underneath and wet to find exactly where. I then noticed a completely sheared, hanging jubilee hose clip.

So for reference it was the clip on the water pump facing out toward the right. The clip stated 30 - 45 mm but I could only source 40 - 55mm. To get it on I drained the header tank using a coolant checker pump. Disconnected the top of radiator hose nearby for access drained a little more then removed that S shape hose. Then drained a little more water from the hose.

Without removing the hose at the pump I opened the jubilee fully and then swore MANY times trying to get it back together while over the hose with the other chap standing above and me with my arm below the car. I probably could have removed more but with recent luck didn't want to chance something breaking - I was very happy to find a hose clip and as yet nothing more sinister.

The clip was wider so didn't 'sit' right into previous clip groove, I really hope it will be ok as it was a pain making those shapes. If I consider a timing change I may get them another clip and renew coolant fully.

Thanks for the kick up the butt E_T_V ..."Coolant loss isn't normal - so find out where it is going!"

Now waiting on intercooler hose arriving, not sure I'll fit myself ... but it looks a whole lot easier than this was?!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 21-04-2017, 00:23

Car: CityRover
Was the hose you ordered a silicon hose as these don,t rot as quick as the rubber ones do.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 21-04-2017, 11:25 Thread Starter

Hi Zr Tractor.

No I didn't go silicon as the car has 145k miles and weighs less than standard due to rust. Had to get a new battery late last year which increased the car value significantly

That first pipe lasted say 144k so I hope anything will outlast the rest of the car now sadly.

I'm still concerned about the amount of oil coming out of the pipe. I had to remove the top end to access the water pump clip and its sodden with oil already - having been cleaned out twice in as many weeks. Did read some comments about the breather pipe but also see the turbo is well covered in oil as are the oil cooler pipes (changed twice since I had car ffs!). I have other leaks power steering - likely the pump (again ffs) and probable crank(?) seal(s).

I'd love to get the car fixed up with a major refurb + service - it provides just the right balance between mpg, performance and its utility value - its been all over the uk and done ace. If I had the space/pit/ramp I'd get stuck in.