Still think there are symptoms - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-02-2009, 17:18 Thread Starter

Car: MG ZR+ 2.0TD (115) 2003
Still think there are symptoms

I had my head under the bonnet today and Im still thinking there is a problem.

Ok, the oil was low but I have not changed it since last track day.

Coolent was dingy grey. This happened before and I drove it to the mechanic to check for HGF. By the time I got there, it was back to its normal pink self.

There is some movement in the water. I think I put in about pint once a month.

There is some weeping at the back top of the head. The front looks fine, but I had a broken fuel return pipe.

Really, everything seems minor, I just dont have an explanation to why these symptoms are now appearing.

The car is at the mechanic tomorrow, so any good advice given I will have him check it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-02-2009, 17:40

Car: ZS+ 170TD
weird how the coolant is changing colour.. surely that should only happen if there is something to contaminate it?

the fact that it is dropping a bit would cause me to be currious, a pint is not a lot, but my car did not used to drop at all!

I had some muck or appreence of weeping on the back of the engine from around the head area as well, but could not trace where it was coming from, but as it was not serious (oil levels not dropping mor than i would call 'normal') i left it be after people on here said it should be fine...

perhaps under certain circumstances - for example really hot after thrashed round a track - it appears, but not when pootling around keeping it low rpm for example...

no advice but my thoughts all the same
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-02-2009, 18:37 Thread Starter

Ok, what could be contamenating the coolent? Is it possible that it is just kicking up stuff from the bottom of the rad? I changed the coolent twice this year and gave it a simple flush until it ran clear. I never used any cleaners.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-02-2009, 19:59

wouldn't exhaust gas make it go a greyish colour due to the soot particles?

if you have flushed it i would not have thought there is anything else around.. but tbh i dont really have a clue
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-02-2009, 20:20 Thread Starter

Soot particles, hmm that is interesting.

The coolent is just discoloured. There is no floating bits. I put my finger in the coolent and it did not feel oily.

When did you have the sweeping in the back of the engine? Was this pre wingy injectors?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-02-2009, 20:46 Thread Starter

Im thinking that the problem is corossion in the rad system. The discoloration happened after the gearbox change and I drained some coolent. Also, I really stressed the car on the last track day, 20 minutes on and 10 minutes cooling off time.

I will have my mechanic flush and clean the system out tomorrow.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-02-2009, 21:31

yeah it was pre wingy... i thin it was one of the turbo oil seals dropping onto the driveshaft (iirc) and flinging it everywhere, so it was hard to track down where it was coming from.

However my memory is not very good and it 'might' have been summit else entirely..

you are more liklely right and it is corrosion, hence why when it is run it returns to normal.. as there is circulation and it is able to be mixed again...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-02-2009, 21:38
mad

Car: mg zr t16 mk2, mad r25 td, anni golf tdi, mondeo st tdci
Send a message via MSN to mad
sorry jonathon, but it does sound familiar. I had the same problem with the coolant changing colour, i flushed the system twice, and then the real problems started were it would just drink water on high tune/boost conditions. I think you may be running down the same road.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-02-2009, 21:49 Thread Starter

Do we know if detuning the car resolves the problem? Or is the head gasket is compromised it must be fixed?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-02-2009, 22:18 Thread Starter

I have already been thinking about seriously detuning my car, as I have the ZS 180 on the build. If my car is symptomatic, than I will strip most of my modifications. So things like the FMIC, coilovers and sdi injectors will go.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-02-2009, 09:10

If the HG has been compromised then it is only a matter of time before it *will* go in a more obvious fashion - detuning will only delay how long this will take.

I hope for your sake that this is not the case, but if yours is going it has added yet another to the list
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-02-2009, 09:26 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_b82 View Post
If the HG has been compromised then it is only a matter of time before it *will* go in a more obvious fashion - detuning will only delay how long this will take.

I hope for your sake that this is not the case, but if yours is going it has added yet another to the list
I just got back from the mechanic and asked him to check it out again. This is the third time in the last few months that I went to diagnose hgf. They are starting to think that I am paranoid!

I check the car before dropping it off and the coolent was a very nice pink. I should him the coolent and he said that looks perfectly normal. However, I said that I used BLUE coolent and it changed colors! Sometimes, it just looks dirty and it loose water.

So, instead of him focusing on hgf, I asked to try to explain what is going on with the cooling system.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-02-2009, 09:54

better be paranoid than careless and ignore things is my attitude...

i hope he can give you some good news\ explain how your coolant went from blue to pink
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-02-2009, 11:59 Thread Starter

Ok, I chatted with my mechanic. First off, the car passed MOT with no problems. Yeah! Im a bit shocked because of the state of my tires. I did increase the boost a bit and did an Italian Tuneup.

For the coolent problem, he thinks it is just a mix of different coolents. The color is "odd", but it will work. He does not think there is HGF currently after running a few test. However, he is slightly concerned about the weeping at the back of the engine. His opinion is that it should just be monitored, but really sees no problems with the engines.

To me this is all very good news, as it leaves me with money to spend on my ZS 180!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-02-2009, 13:14

unless i am mistaken i thought it was very bad practice to mix the two types of coolant... or does he just mean brands?

I thought the two different types reacted to each other and caused all sorts of problems...