2Likes
  • 1 Post By E_T_V
  • 1 Post By JC71

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 02:39 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 45
Tractor syndrome

Hi,

Over my couple of years of reading the posts here I've often read about tractor syndrome. After hearing my son move my car the other day I have become concerned that the loud metallic clack might be my 45 developing tractor syndrome.

The problem is I don't really know how loud it's supposed to be. I've listened to clips on youtube and some L-series cars seem a lot quieter and some seem about the same as mine.

I downloaded a free decibel meter app and measured my car on cold and warm tickover. It's about 85-90 decibels cold and a few decibels quieter after a run. Does anyone know how loud a healthy L-series should be? How about one with tractor syndrome?

Strange one I know but thought someone might be able to help.

Cheers, Jeremy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 06:35
Diesel Tuning Dude

Car: 75 Tourer Conn SE & 45 TDi VNT
Garages
Send a message via MSN to Dakta
its a very subjective thing, but as a general rule I tend to say if you think you've got it then you haven't.

basically IME it's so knocky you will know, could always post a video up i guess if you wanted members opinions but wouldn't be a solid diagnosis

Dieselpowered - file revisions ahead of the competition
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 21:03

Car: Maestros, 200, 600, ZTT
Send a message via MSN to E_T_V
If you are old enough to remember the noise that old transit vans used to make on a frozen morning then if it doesn't sound that bad then all is normal!.
coalman likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 18:17 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakta View Post
its a very subjective thing, but as a general rule I tend to say if you think you've got it then you haven't.

basically IME it's so knocky you will know, could always post a video up i guess if you wanted members opinions but wouldn't be a solid diagnosis
If you think you've got it you probably haven't make a lot of sense Kris.

I was probably a bit sensitive to the girl after a long night shift. Still pull like a train.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 18:19 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_T_V View Post
If you are old enough to remember the noise that old transit vans used to make on a frozen morning then if it doesn't sound that bad then all is normal!.
Thanks E_T_V, I definitely do remember the old transits on a winter morning.

It's not that bad!
E_T_V likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 19:35

Car: 2 Rover 25 Diesels and Rover 45 Mk2 diesel
VP 30 pumps arn't that bad in my experience. I had one fail on my V reg at 185k, have 194k on my 53 plate and no failure as yet and 127k on my 45 as yet no failure. I once heard a 45 which I think must have had tractor syndrome and it is a scary and uncomfortable noise to say the least when the car accelerated. The 3 L series I have all give a metallic knock, the 45 is worse than my 25s and sometimes is a bit uneven on idle, but it has not failed yet and it has been that way for the 30k I have owned it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 13:22 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny_Brain View Post
VP 30 pumps arn't that bad in my experience. I had one fail on my V reg at 185k, have 194k on my 53 plate and no failure as yet and 127k on my 45 as yet no failure. I once heard a 45 which I think must have had tractor syndrome and it is a scary and uncomfortable noise to say the least when the car accelerated. The 3 L series I have all give a metallic knock, the 45 is worse than my 25s and sometimes is a bit uneven on idle, but it has not failed yet and it has been that way for the 30k I have owned it.
Cheers Bunny_Brain that's reassuring.

I get that occasional uneven idle as well, and it does make the metallic knock louder, maybe it was that I was hearing. I know quite a few on here experience the same thing but as yet no-one knows what causes it.

Mine is 'reset' by turning off and on again and doesn't trigger a fault code. Happens once every six weeks or so,