VOSA, The MOT and Decats... - Page 3 - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #41 of 56 (permalink) Old 15-02-2014, 18:04

Car: Rover 25
rules have changed again as of feb 2014 all cars fitted with a cat or dpf as standard will fail if they have been removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 56 (permalink) Old 15-02-2014, 19:55

Car: Rover 45
The below is from the gov.uk website:
'From February 2014 the inspection of the exhaust system carried out during the MoT test will include a check for the presence of a DPF. A missing DPF, where one was fitted when the vehicle was built, will result in an MoT failure. A vehicle might still pass the MoT visible smoke emissions test, which is primarily intended to identify vehicles that are in a very poor state of repair, whilst emitting illegal and harmful levels of fine exhaust particulate. It is an offence under the Road vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations
(Regulation 61a(3))
1 to use a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet. Removal of a DPF will almost invariably contravene these requirements, making the vehicle illegal for road use. The potential penalties for failing to comply with Regulation 61a are fines of up to 1,000 for a car or 2,500 for a light goods vehicle.'

To me it's still a bit ambiguous as it only mentions DPFs - not CATs specifically.

Also, I'm not sure about this bit, 'to use a vehicle which has been modified is such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet'.

Does removing a cat on L-series cars mean they no longer comply to the emissions standards they were designed with originally??

Of course there may be another bit of paper that talks about diesel cats that I haven't found yet.
post #43 of 56 (permalink) Old 15-02-2014, 22:27

Car: CityRover
Send a message via AIM to Ex-MG Send a message via MSN to Ex-MG
Thing with the MOT is as I've found out working with 3 MOT testers is you can only test what you see. Allot of DPFs you can't see anyway, more EU bull****

post #44 of 56 (permalink) Old 18-02-2014, 07:38

Car: MG ZR
Does anyone know officially where we stand on this having cats not DPFs as ours do not regen?
post #45 of 56 (permalink) Old 18-02-2014, 09:23

Car: R45 TD Heavily modified, wolf in sheep's clothing
Without taking one to MOT I would guess they would pull you up on it now
post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 18-02-2014, 12:32

Car: MG ZR
Bad news

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ice-1-2014.pdf

I think everyone needs to be made aware, I do believe it is a visual inspection but i imagine it depends how particular your tester is and if he has a VOSA member with him at the time
post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 13:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicalwill1 View Post
Without taking one to MOT I would guess they would pull you up on it now
Took my 45 for MOT last week and the tester never even took a glance at my de-cat, maybe because it resembles a cat, about 5 to 6 inch in diameter, straight through, with a gauze tube internally, everything else fine so a pass.
post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 17:46
Supporter

Car: 820 Vitesse*RIP, MG ZS+ 115, 825 Sterling Coupe *RIP, 825 Sterling Saloon, Subaru Legacy 3.0 specB
Garages
Send a message via MSN to gibbzy2k1
Quote:
Originally Posted by beargrease51 View Post
Took my 45 for MOT last week and the tester never even took a glance at my de-cat, maybe because it resembles a cat, about 5 to 6 inch in diameter, straight through, with a gauze tube internally, everything else fine so a pass.
Yeah, mine passed again this year.
post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 21:41

Just to encourage anyone with an MOT approaching. Mine sailed through with no advisories with the 30 eBay decat in situ.

Very happy.
post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 16-07-2014, 07:18

Car: MGF
Spoke to my MOT tester who told me if it left the factory with a CAT then it must have one fitted for the MOT. The EGR on the other hand his exact words were "get rid of it as soon as you can" just slapped a egr delete and decat on my 25 and it feels much better already just means I will have to refit the cat as I do to my MGF for the the MOT.
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 17:45

Car: MG ZR TD
Passed MOT last week with a De-cat on. ZR 2.0 TD.
post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 19:20

Car: Evolution VII RS, MK5 RS2000, Trackday MK2 ZR 160, MK2 ZS 120+
De-Cat is petrol only. Only the new DPF rule applies to dirty diesels
post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old 16-05-2015, 20:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNDQ View Post
De-Cat is petrol only. Only the new DPF rule applies to dirty diesels
Think you wrong there John..

On 16 February 2014 Section 7.1 of the inspection manual will be amended to include a check for the presence of catalysts and particulate filters on diesel powered vehicles. Any vehicle where a catalytic converter or particulate filter is missing where one was fitted as standard will fail the test.
post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old 21-05-2015, 17:36

Car: 04 Mk1 ZR , 04 Mk2 ZR , 64 Clio
So with all these posts of people saying they have passed MOT's with de-cats in place etc Is obviously down to the individual inspector not really caring ?

Is the inspection just purely a visual inspection ? As in, knocking out the cat instead of fitting a de-cat ? I can't imagine them banging it to see if it's hollow.
post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old 21-05-2015, 17:46
Diesel Tuning Dude

Car: 75 Tourer Conn SE & 45 TDi VNT
Garages
Send a message via MSN to Dakta
AFAIK the cat is checked for presence - i.e they look at it, and if its there you 'pass'. No other checks are done so if it appears to be there (i.e just gutted rather than replaced) you should be okay.

My local guy isn't bothered in either case, once upon a time the tester I used to use would even offer to bash it out, though I bet that doesn't happen anymore.

post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old 21-05-2015, 23:09

Car: Maestros, 200, 600, ZTT
Send a message via MSN to E_T_V
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyZR View Post
So with all these posts of people saying they have passed MOT's with de-cats in place etc Is obviously down to the individual inspector not really caring ?
Possibly, or maybe they didn't know one was fitted originally.