|Why have started a donations system? Sadly it was due to the collapse of MG Rover. The website was funded by the dealers by the way of the Dealer Network. However, with the lack of new cars to sell and many dealers switching brands, this revenue disappeared with the dealers.
The website costs money to run due to the server its hosted on and the huge amount of data sent to people who browse the website. Running a small site can be cheap however when a site gets large and has a large bandwidth usage, the costs start to mount up.
To secure the future of the website the decision was reluctantly taken to start a donations service.
The basic functionality of the site will always be free, but to get access to the additional features, such as more PM slots, space in the gallery to upload photos to and discounts from our online shop and other suppliers, you will have to become a 'supporter'.
|The system became self aware on 1st July 2005 ;)|
|Thanks to the built-in subscriptions features in VBulletin, you can easily pay your supporter's fee via PayPal and instantly get the benefits of becoming a supporter. When you've paid the fee for 12 months you get access to the exclusive supporters forums.
To become a supporter, you need to log in to the forums. When you're logged in, click on this link - Forum Subscriptions page
When you've clicked that link and you'll be provided with a few levels of subscription, you'll want the standard level. Note, if you intend to sell for a commercial business on the website, you will require a trader subscription.
Click on the order button next to the one you want and you'll be taken to PayPal to enter your payment details. You can change the currency in the drop down box before you go to PayPal. - Indeed, if you are in the UK, please select £ from the drop down menu before continuing!
|What do we get for becoming a supporter?|
|The website has a single level approach to donations as detailed below. (as long as you're not a commercial business - if you are, see below.)
Basic Member (i.e. not a supporter)
- 5 PMs
- Cannot upload pics into gallery
- Cannot start polls
- Cannot attach files
- Cannot post in forsale section
- Cannot upload an avatar
- Cannot use a signature
- Can upload up to 15 photos to their Albums (in total, not per Album)
- Can write their own blog
- Can join social groups
- Other than that, you can post & reply as you wish (within the rules, naturally!).
- Can start polls
- Can post in the for sale section*
- Can use a signature
- Access to Subscribers Forum
- Can see who has left Reputation ratings in the User Control Panel
- Access to the 18+ Forum (need to PM an admin and request access)
- mg-rover.org email address with webmail access
- 256 PMs
- 5mb Attachment limit
- Limit on photos is raised to 100,000
- Can personalise the appearance of their blogs and profile pages
- Can start social groups
- Can post attachments to blog entries.
- Discounts off Car & other Insurance
- 10% off orders from the XPart Online Shop, on mg-rover.org
- 10% off Parts & Labour from Swan Coachworks
- Discounted trackdays through MGs On Track
- Discounted postage from Car Audio Direct
- 5% Discount on small cars, up to 40% on Mondeo size cars, people carriers and vans from Europcar UK
- 10% Discount off all Pre-booked BCP Airport Carparking
- 15% Discount from AA Membership
- 5% & for orders over £65, free PnP on orders from CleanYourCar.co.uk
- 10% off orders by cheque and 6.5% off orders by paypal from Serious Performance
- 10% Off bookings with Sea France
- 5% discount off any purchase from the Classic Car World Tool Shop.
- 40% off a subscription to Top Gear Magazine
- 20% off of HPI checks
- £10 off of IAM courses (Institute of Advanced Motorists)
- Up to 25% at Kwik Fit Mobile
- 15% off rates with Meteor Meet and Greet Parking
- 15% off at Janspeed +free delivery - Access to comprehensive datasheets on both up to date MG and Rover models, and models of a bygone era.
- And More coming online all the time !
- As Forum Supporter
- Ability to post trade adverts in for sale forum
- As Trader
- Banner advert
* - As a supporter, only non-trade adverts are allowed in the for sale section. Trade advertisers MUST take out a trade subscription.