high clutch pedal, easy cure - MG-Rover.org Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 12:50 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
Smile high clutch pedal, easy cure

Simply attach a universal u shaped mudflap bracket to the pedal lever, it rests on the housing and is totally adjustable sliding either up or down to alter pedal height. Ive done about 8 mods so far without a problem, mine has done 30000 miles since the mod was carried out, no problems at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 08:49

Car: Silver Stormer ZR turbo.
Do you mean high biting point or actually high pedal?
We need some pics of this to see what you mean exactly.
I have managed to mod the biting point on my clutch, which now bites lower down and makes the car a lot mire drivable.
Some others have done the same, but I'm not sure as to what you have done.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 15-03-2005, 20:17 Thread Starter

High clutch pedal

I mean clutch pedal sits high, biting point normal.

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 16-03-2005, 07:33

Car: Silver Stormer ZR turbo.
The thing is don't really understand what you have done.
We really need to see what you mean here with some images.

I think what you have done will only work on your car too. The 200 's have auto adjusting clutch cables so what you have done wouldn't work.
If you alter the height of the clutch pedal then that would mean that the clutch would not be fully engaged when released.

Last edited by ashy; 16-03-2005 at 07:40.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 16-03-2005, 07:38

Car: Rover 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashy
The thing is don't really understand what you have done.
If you alter the height of the clutch then that would mean that the clutch would not be fully engaged when released.
We really need to see what you mean here with some images.

I agree as a high clutch pedal is a problem to a few of us a picture or two would really help.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 20-03-2005, 18:01

Car: MG ZR
Send a message via MSN to ZR Stevo
I would be keen to see this mod too!
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 20-03-2005, 18:07

Car: Rover 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR Stevo
I would be keen to see this mod too!

I have a feeling its going to be a long wait for any pictures or any explanation
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 20-03-2005, 18:08

Send a message via MSN to ZR Stevo

Shame
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 14-05-2005, 11:55

Car: Something Else
This is indeed a very simple mod the only problem i have found is what to use to adjust the pedal. But stick your head under the dashboard and have a look at the clutch pedal. You will notice that on many models there is free play due to the spring returning the pedal further than it needs to. So basically the first inch of movement does not move the piston to start applying the clutch. Now if you use a stopper (or more acurately extend the existing stopper) you can remove this free play so that as soon as you touch the pedal the clutch cylinder will start to move. The clutch bite point does not alter but there is a potential to lower the return height of the pedal by around 1inch with no ill effect or added wear to the clutch.

You just gotta work out what to use extend the stopper.
Nomad76 likes this.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 14-05-2005, 20:23

Car: MG ZS
stiff clutch pedal

does anbody know how to ajust a stiff clutch pedal,iseem to have to bury the pedal to the floor to engage it into gear,its hard work,my zs 120 had a nice easy pedal but my 180s is hard.any help please.my ankle realy hurts tonight.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 17-05-2005, 06:09

Car: CityRover
never driven a defender
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 20-05-2005, 15:41

Car: MG ZTT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtopper
This is indeed a very simple mod the only problem i have found is what to use to adjust the pedal. But stick your head under the dashboard and have a look at the clutch pedal. You will notice that on many models there is free play due to the spring returning the pedal further than it needs to. So basically the first inch of movement does not move the piston to start applying the clutch. Now if you use a stopper (or more acurately extend the existing stopper) you can remove this free play so that as soon as you touch the pedal the clutch cylinder will start to move. The clutch bite point does not alter but there is a potential to lower the return height of the pedal by around 1inch with no ill effect or added wear to the clutch.

You just gotta work out what to use extend the stopper.
Ah - now I understand. I've got really long legs and always struggle with the clutch. I had a hire van a few months ago - almost undriveable. Just couldn't get my foot of the clutch

So the bracket approach is simply to take the slack out of the mechanism. I like it...
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 22:54

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
I would really like to see photos too; the clutch on my car is unusually high, and consequently I still stall as I lose the biting point (much to my embarrassment). Due to the time it takes for the local garage to get anything done, Ive been loathe to take it in (took him 3 days to diagnose a problem when I had already told him exactly what was wrong, then a further week to fix it and fit new tires).
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 08:14

Car: Mazda3 MPS
Send a message via MSN to Xorro
Is it possible to adjust the biting point though?

I find that I cannot change from 1st to 2nd without jerking, this is because the last few millimeters are where the biting point is and by the time you foot is that high up its difficult to control the pedal.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 08:30

Car: Something Else
No i don't think you can adjust the biting point, it's a hydraulic clutch and as such i think it's self adjusting, i find the biting point a bit on the high side as well but i've become acustomed to lifting my leg halfway, then resting my heel bring my toes up slowly onto the biting point. Alternatively just floor it and dump the clutch
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 08:36

Car: Moonstone Green Rover 75 CDT Tourer Conn SE with Upsolute remap and Synergy 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtopper
Now if you use a stopper (or more acurately extend the existing stopper) you can remove this free play so that as soon as you touch the pedal the clutch cylinder will start to move.
This might affect cars with cruise control. I was puzzled why my cruise control wouldn't always engage (75 CDT T), then I realised it was because I have the naughty habit of driving with my foot resting on the clutch rather than using the proper foot rest.
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 16-10-2005, 23:31

Car: Alfa 159 2.4 JTDm 210
I found the clutch pedal very high on my Zr but it can be adjusted so long as there is slack on the pedal (before the clutch cable is actually moved). If you have a look in at the top of the pedal you can see where it pulls the clutch cable on the other side of the pivot. Beside this you can see the little stop that limits how high the pedal can go. So if you press down the pedal from the top and it moves before it actually pulls the clutch cable, you can screw in the adjuster until there is no slack. Its pretty ackward getting the bugger screwed where its at, but it took about half an inch from my pedal and makes it feel much nicer now.
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 10:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynmitchell
Simply attach a universal u shaped mudflap bracket to the pedal lever, it rests on the housing and is totally adjustable sliding either up or down to alter pedal height. Ive done about 8 mods so far without a problem, mine has done 30000 miles since the mod was carried out, no problems at all.
Hi did a smilar mod on my 1st 400, the clutch pedal sat was to high for my little feet!! I removed the pedal and put some washers (3off M8 from memory) between the mounting studs(on bulkhead) that hold the pedal on and the pedal. The top bracket has a slot so dosesn't need any mods,This fixed it for me

Seamus
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 21:58

i m thinking to fit a prolonger bar with a little hinge .to adapt my feet to the pedal clutch
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 23:14

Send a message via MSN to Mitch - ZR
someone will have to do an illustrated guide for this, i was considering taking a section out of my left leg, looks like there is a much better solution!!!