high clutch pedal, easy cure - Page 3 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 14-07-2008, 23:51
Supporter

Car: Rover 420 iXLD
Send a message via MSN to thefarmer
OK

I have this problem/characteristic on my 400.

So I have taken some pics of the clutch pedal assembly in the hope that someone who has managed to solve the problem can edit them with the solution.

Sorry about the quality / angle of the pics. They were taken while lying on my back on the cill - very uncomfortable!

Hope they are useful

1999 (V) Rover 400 iXLd
1994 (L) Rover 820 Vitesse
Wanted: 400 Brooklands Green (HYF) doors, hatch bumpers and front wings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 18-07-2008, 16:42

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
i think its a design fault this high clutch pedal ,i think could resolve this problem fittind a new hydraulic clutch pump with more fluid displacement capacity and with a variable height push rod for regulate the height of the pedal ,cheers
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 19-07-2008, 21:37

Car: Rover 45
Question

Have a look at post 43 on this link

http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showt...t=31042&page=2

Any help?

post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 18:15

I dont even know why this post is a sticky. It dont answer any of the questions. How do you modifi the clutch pedal with a mudflap clip.

The original poster never took any pictures nor explained it.

Ashy did a much better job with his for the 200.
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 12:39

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
Quote:
Originally Posted by impressionist View Post
Have a look at post 43 on this link

http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showt...t=31042&page=2

Any help?
I have the same problem with having a high clutch pedal and all that causes it is the free play in the pedal mech, the post above links to a post which shows pictures of a good cure and easy to do.

Simply a small bracket with a hole in it to the right of the bracket a bolt a few washers and nut to hold it all in place and this acts like a bump stop to prevent the pedal releasing all the way? THIS IS PROBABLY WHERE THE ORIGINAL POSTER WOULD HAVE USED HIS U SHAPED MUDGUARD BRACKET????

I think this would work on all 45/400 and ZS with Hydraulic Clutch, please someone correct me if i am wrong on this.

I am going to do this later so will post the results up showing the size and number of bolts i used etc.
post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 22:37

Car: R25 1.4IE 103PS
Send a message via AIM to ashleypR25
on that post on the xpower forum where abouts did he put that little piece? would you be able to point out where abouts on that second pic hes put it, need to do this for my 25 as it has a good inch and a bit of slack before it engages. cheers..
post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 18-10-2008, 17:25

Car: MG Maestro
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftyseamus View Post
Hi did a smilar mod on my 1st 400, the clutch pedal sat was to high for my little feet!! I removed the pedal and put some washers (3off M8 from memory) between the mounting studs(on bulkhead) that hold the pedal on and the pedal. The top bracket has a slot so dosesn't need any mods,This fixed it for me

Seamus
I did not realise what a pain the 400 clutch was until my wife bought a Vauxhall.

I have since looked into it and on the Hydraulic clutch type by removing the pedal bracket and spacing the bracket away from the bulkhead with washers the same diameter as built in spacers and as he says moving the top fixing bolt back along the slot it looks as if it should improve matters, but in my Local Scrap yard I found an L regd Civic booted bubble with the same pedal box as the 400 except it has a height stop with a 13mm spaner size bolt and locknut bearing on a welded on extension, the bolt spacing, clevis pin diameter even the pedal rubber appear to be the same.

I shall try to change it over this evening.

How do you post photo's on this site.

Last edited by David.Broad; 18-10-2008 at 17:36.
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 19-10-2008, 22:19

Car: MG Maestro
I changed the pedal box, to the L reg Civic bubble one. I guess it took about 30 minutes, but I threw the sound deadening panel above the pedals away years ago, so 3 self tappers to remove the plastic under the steeroing Column then 2 X 13mm bolts on the Master Cylinder and 1X 12mm on the pedal bracket top fixing (Slot) and that easy to pull out Rover clip on the clevis pin and the brcket was out. (The Honda had a split pin which took best part of half an hour to extract at the Scrap[/url] Yard)

To refit I used two washers on each master culinder stud to space the bracket back and push nthe biting point down a bit or so I hoped, these were the same diameter inside and out as the bosses on the Pedal bracket, but I guess a standard large repair or three would be fine, as long as you out the same thickness on each stud, and then I just bolted it together and adjusted the stop to give a tiny bit of free play, which brought it down to about an inch above the brake pedal, more washers would have lowered it some more.

I guess the ratio is about 1 to 8, move the bracket back 1/8 inch lowers the pedal an inch but you start to lose the over centre action of the pedal springs if you go too low, I guess you could drill new holes to reposition the spring, but that is another project.

Anyway it is better than it was. I worked for BL Dealers from leaving school in 1973 until 1985, and worked for myself since, but have sciatica preventing me doing much these days. Hope the Pics came out and that this is of interest,

Thanks to everyone for the pointers.

http://forums.mg-rover.org/attachmen...7&d=1224456130
http://forums.mg-rover.org/attachmen...6&d=1224456111
http://forums.mg-rover.org/attachmen...5&d=1224456090
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (43.4 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (45.9 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (60.7 KB, 172 views)

Last edited by David.Broad; 20-10-2008 at 21:04.
post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 20-10-2008, 21:03

Great work. Only one tiny snag for 400 GSI owners. They will have to loose cruise control as the hole holds the clutch switch for the cruise control.
post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 23-12-2008, 14:51

Car: MR2 Roadster 2002
Send a message via MSN to Dean Carr
ive just had exactly the same problem, too much free-play in the clutch pedal. i just did some DIY in the space of an hour and its fixed the problem. i just simply used a bracket thing that i found in the shed, cut half of it off and bolted it to the stopper. seems to work perfectly. heres a pic of the mod and illustration of the bracket used;

btw theres a little electrical tape there to stop any tining noises when the pedal is released.
post #51 of 51 (permalink) Old 19-06-2016, 18:03

My clutch pedal height was adjusted and now it slips at very high revs. Has it been adjusted down too far?