General How To.... Diagnose a K Series Head Gasket Failure - Page 4 - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 843 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #61 of 264 (permalink) Old 14-12-2008, 21:45

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
The thing is the car never left the mechanic,as it started to lose coolant as he was testing it idle,waiting to bleed the "sacrificial oil" after a few hours.

I know a lot of water is left in the exhaust,so we'll leave it alone :-)

Meanwhile he has opened the head again,as he will take it to do a crack test.And i know he let the air out of the coolant,i've watched him do it.

When he took the head off again,he has found water in the 2. and 3. cylinder again.His conclusion is that if the inlet gasket went,chances are,water would be found in the 1.

He was also very careful with the liners,i've asked him.

He has poured at least 10,maybe even 15 litres of water as the engine seemed to drink it all.

It's a weird situation,no doubt.

Thanks a LOT for the quick response,and i know my explanations are a little off as i'm not experienced in mechanics,especially in english

One more question though.Is there something particulary specific for this type of engine,that my mechanic was not aware of when doing all this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 264 (permalink) Old 14-12-2008, 22:17

One more thing...he has checked the oil,and no obvious emulsification was to be seen.It seems like all the water is going to the cylinders 2 and 3(especially 2.),in the combustion area,from there being dumped directly to the exhaust.The water was literally dripping from the exhaust,even after an hour...
post #63 of 264 (permalink) Old 15-12-2008, 17:20

Cracked cylinder head

Well,it's the worse case scenario,the cylinder head is cracked.Lucky me.I've had but 500km with my first car,and i really started diggin' it,the engine is amazing aside the..fract.
Now what?I've asked the official Rover garage,they say i'd pay for a new head about 2000 euros.Almost as much i've payed for the whole car!
Is that real?And i live in Croatia,and chances for finding a used in good shape are very slim.
Has the 1.4 16v the same head?
That would broaden the search alot.
Anyways,any advice would be much apreciated...

post #64 of 264 (permalink) Old 15-12-2008, 19:23 Thread Starter
Never forgotten

Car: Other Manufacturer. Previously - more Rovers than I care to remember.
All the K series heads are essentially the same with some variations to the camshafts and top cover, but these can be swapped over.
Have you considered buying one from Britain and getting it shipped out?
post #65 of 264 (permalink) Old 15-12-2008, 20:26

How much do they go?
New vs used?
I'll give it a shot here,but of course i would ship one if the difference in price was big
post #66 of 264 (permalink) Old 15-12-2008, 22:02 Thread Starter
Never forgotten

About -

£50 used
£150 rebuilt
£791 new complete
post #67 of 264 (permalink) Old 24-12-2008, 11:37

Car: Rover 400 (95-99)
Rover 416 SLi Lack of Power.. Help.

I have a rover 416 SLi P reg. it has complete lack of power. you have to give it loads of revs to get it to go and have to hold the gears longer to accelerate. it takes ages to get to top speed. it never used to be like this, does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

i have had leads, plugs, rotor arm and service done.

there is no erratic idling so i dont think it could be ecu.

is this likely to be some sort of sensor fault? i have cleaned the injectors also and am about to put in some HG sealant but no loss of oil or water at all.

car doesnt start well if stalled either.. this might help with diagnosis, smells a lot like petrol when started if you stand near car outside, but not inside.

also drinks fuel if you go on a journey.
post #68 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 14:19

I have managed to find the head,for a reasonable price,had it installed,and alas,it works.And it works good.

I would like to suggest to anyone having these problems to test the head for cracks before installing,because if you don't,and its's cracked,you'll pay for another set of gaskets,and for the mechanic all over again.

Thank you Diesel1955 once again,and all the best in 2009 to you and all the Rover fans
post #69 of 264 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 21:57

Car: Rover 200 Coupe
this may help

Firstly check the underneath of the oil cap, if its creamy, youve got a good chance your head gasket has gone. secondly check the smoke coming out of the exhaust if its blue.. you may also have a problem.. also, check around the engine block. the K series engine usually leaks around the cylinder head and is fairly easy to spot a cracked head gasket. you usually get a build up of crap on the engine especially this time of year so wipe it down and let the engine run for around 5 mins. you can also run a compression test if you know a mechanic. chuck them a fiver and theyll be able to tell you if you have lost compression on any of your cylinders. It could be something else and not the head gasket. sticky lifters and clogged injectors can sometimes be a common problem
post #70 of 264 (permalink) Old 28-01-2009, 13:15

Car: Rover 25
This forum is great

Thanks for this thread it had put my mind at ease just bought my wife a mgf and on geting it home noticed that oil on dipstick was a bit creamy straight away though hgf and phoned garage. He told me hg was replaced 4000 miles ago and this was residue from the failure. I thought he was lying but on reading this i think he wasnt as got no overheating problems and car runs well uses a bit of oil bit its 14 years old so expect that.

Does smell a bit oily though but cannot see any leaks
post #71 of 264 (permalink) Old 30-01-2009, 21:32

its the brakes

its the brakes we can smell bloody calipers have seized i think front N/S is this a common problem tried to post a new thread but as im new it would not let me
post #72 of 264 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 21:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovernut View Post
With my experience of owning three k series cars which have all had gaskets replaced, I would like to humbly suggest another clue.

When you start it up in the morning and it seems to run on 3 cyls for a few seconds, I reckon that'e due to a gasket leaking coolant into that cylinder.

Anyone else experience that?

Chris
Had exactly this on a 1.8 Cavalier. Lasted about 1000 miles after the 'rough on start' stage.
post #73 of 264 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 10:46

I have a problem with an oily substance in the coolant tank. I brought it to a garage and it isn“t HGF what everybody else said it was.

It is a problem with the hoses who are aged and give of some sort of oil like thing.

Anybody had this problem yet?
Maybe you know what to do with that or know a thread about it?
post #74 of 264 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 17:54

Car: Rover 200 BRM & MG ZT-T 260
Damn Damn Damn!
I'm sure it's the fault of this thread! I read it last night and was happy that I had no symptoms. This morning I checked water before doing my normal weekend trip. Water was a little down in the header tank, put about 1/2 litre in and...............it was black! Just like dirty sump-oil. Funnily enough my sump oil is not black. No sign of mayonnaise in either oil or water, started 2nd turn of key as always!
Did 240 mile round trip, absolutely no loss of power , no overheating and no loss of coolant (sludge!). When I got home there was a very small amount of mayo in the pressure cap, no other symptoms or leaks anywhere.
Anyone like to make an informed guess? Is it HGF time?

ETA. Because of the very randomness with checking oil level with the cr*p dipstick, is it possible that overfilling may have caused these symptoms?
post #75 of 264 (permalink) Old 18-03-2009, 18:07

Car: MG TF
head gasket

hi should i put k seal in
post #76 of 264 (permalink) Old 18-03-2009, 18:21 Thread Starter
Never forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenpros View Post
If the car is not worth the £350 it will cost to fix and you can't DIY, it would be better than scrapping it. Otherwise, treat K Seal as a get-you-home or short tem fix (it may not work at all depending on the type of failure).
post #77 of 264 (permalink) Old 29-03-2009, 22:26

Car: Rover 620ti, Metro 1.8 VVC, 1982 X reg MG Metro 1300, Rover 214Si Lotus Elise S2, Porsche 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955diesel View Post
If the car is not worth the £350 it will cost to fix and you can't DIY, it would be better than scrapping it. Otherwise, treat K Seal as a get-you-home or short tem fix (it may not work at all depending on the type of failure).
Also worth considering, could you buy a better car for 350+?
So fixing it to give a reliable car even though its value is zero can still be worth it. For example, any metro/100 falls into this.
post #78 of 264 (permalink) Old 29-03-2009, 22:32
Administrator

Car: 2006 330d M Sport
Garages
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenpros View Post
In a TF? I'd imagine it is worth a little more than £400.....so I'd get it fixed properly.
post #79 of 264 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 15:27

Car: MG TF
checked my coolant yesterday after the car had been parked up for an hour or so and heard a hissing noise coming from the cap, then when i opened it i heard more hissing and little bubbles on the underside of the cap-is this what the cap is meant to do ie releasing pressure or does this mean that the cap is faulty and isnt keeping the system pressurised?
post #80 of 264 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 16:41

Car: Astravan 165
Send a message via MSN to HotTubRepairer
Quote:
Originally Posted by riano View Post
checked my coolant yesterday after the car had been parked up for an hour or so and heard a hissing noise coming from the cap, then when i opened it i heard more hissing and little bubbles on the underside of the cap-is this what the cap is meant to do ie releasing pressure or does this mean that the cap is faulty and isnt keeping the system pressurised?
Sounds normal to me, especially if the car was still hot/warm.