OK. In response to popular request I have drafted the instructions below. Let me know of any obvious errors or omissions and I'll sort them. I have attached a couple of pics at the base.
Fitting a CD Changer to 75/ZT equipped with Harmony head unit
This post sets out all the steps required to fit an OEM cd changer to an original 75/ZT equipped with a Harmony head unit where the changer lead is not pre fitted.
Warning-this is the procedure that I used on my 75 and is based upon the ICE socket in the main car loom being found at the base of the console behind the ashtray unit. I am aware that depending on build date some cars do not have the socket in this place but hidden away in the depths of the bulkhead. If this is the case on your car then rather than completely removing the original hu wiring loom you will instead just attach the new loom to the existing one. This could also be done as a way of avoiding the work to strip the centre console.
(Note when using these procedures to fit a changer to a Symphony unit where no changer extension is already present then you must remove all the original hu loom and the new lead is a different part number).
1 of Alpine cd changer unit-any of the following MGR part numbers:
1 of MGR wiring loom part number:
1 set of Torx bolts
1. old credit card
1 Rover 75 or MG ZT
remove your head unit as per Rich's excellent instructions here Rover 75 - How do I remove my head unit?
1. using a thin plastic card or similar gently push behind the
clmate control fascia edge all the way around and remove the black plastic face
2. using the same card and approach remove the 'plastic' wood facia
from the switch bank below the climate control.
3. undo the 4 screws holding the climate unit in place-withdraw the
unit and remove the three wiring plugs from
the rear. Store the unit safe
4. at each end of the switch bank below you will see a push in plastic
clip-push these outboard (iirc) and the switch bank will come
free-disconnect the multi plugs from the switch housing, remove and
store the unit safe.
5. at each top side of the ashtray unit behind the fascia there is a
(push in) clip. Push these in and remove the unit slightly.
6. disconnect the multi plug and lucar plug from the rear of the
ashtray (these feed the lamp and the lighter-and are fiddly to get out
and more so to replace!)
7. The two leads to the lighter might also be attached via a clip to
the rear of the ashtray unit. The clip slides on and off the rear and
is quite tight and inaccessible.
8, The whole ashtray unit then comes out. If you are then tempted to
remove the cup holders) be very careful. They are held in by a thin
plastic clip on one front lower edge and if the clip is not freed
before releasing then it will snap very easily.
9. You should now see the BMW type socket at the base of the console that the other end of the Harmony unit lead plugs into. Unplug the lead and remove it completely.
10. Plug in the new lead and run it up to the top of the console and secure it so it cannot fall back down.
Installing your changer into the glovebox
1. Open the glovebox lid and then use the press in plastic catch on each
hinge to allow you to drop the lid fully down).
2. Undo the 7 torx screws at the front of the glove box (four can be
found top of inside front edge of the glove box and three under the
front of the fabric mat on the inside base of the glovebox-just peel
the front of the fabric off).
3. Then literally pull the glove box forward out of the dash, release the
glovebox lamp power feed plug and wiring on the left hand side. You
can then remove the glovebox to fit the changer into it in a warm and
4. The glovebox has four holes in its base that accept the changer
mountings and securing nuts and another square opening that the power
and signal lead from the hu goes through. Bring the changer lead from the hu
down to the glovebox area (from the right as you look at
the front of the glovebox opening). This may be a tight squeeze but it will go through.
Plug all in and test that it works before refitting!!
Reverse the procedures to refit all to the console and to refit the glovebox.
It's important when re fitting the ashtray unit to ensure that the two plastic protrusions on the base of the unit are put inside the facia when replacing as otherwise you
can spend 30 minutes wondering why on earth it wont go back-I did lol
The same procedure applies for the Symphony except you need a different lead part number VUL100330
1. the stripped console-
2. the glovebox area after removal with the new changer lead coming out from bottom right. Yuo can see the holes for the torx bolts, four on top and three below.