How to... Fit Rover 800 stalks to your MGF/TF - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 17-08-2006, 16:44 Thread Starter

Car: MGF Trophy 160 in Trophy Yellow
Send a message via MSN to cjmillsnun
How to... Fit Rover 800 stalks to your MGF/TF

WARNING: This procedure involves removing and refitting the steering wheel airbag. READ THROUGH this procedure thoroughly and follow it methodically otherwise there is a high possibility of the airbag deploying!

1. Remove SRS fuse (or disconnect the battery negative terminal) and go make a cuppa and drink it... (Wait for at least 15 minutes from removing the fuse/disconnecting the battery before going onto stap 2)

2. Using a T30 Screwdriver undo the 2 airbag retaining screws that are in the rear of the steering wheel.

3. Gently Pull the airbag from the steering wheel and detach the yellow wire from the airbag (note which way up it goes!)

4. Unclip the black multiplug from the rotary coupler.

5. Lock the steering. then using a 19mm socket loosen the nut that holds the steering wheel on so that it is able to be undone with fingers.

6. Move the steering wheel to the straight ahead position and remove the nut.

7. Remove the steering wheel and stick some sticky tape over the rotary coupler so that it cannot move.

8. Undo the 3 philips screws underneath the steering column that hold the plastic steering column trim on. and remove the trim.

9. Undo the 4 philips screws that hold the rotary coupling to the column. remove the multi plug from the back of the rotary coupler and remove the coupler.

10. Undo the 2 philips screws that hold the indicator stalk to the column. Pull the indicator stalk away from the column and remove the 2 multi plugs.

11. Fit the new indicator stalk to the column and the two screws to hold it in place. Fit the multi plugs to the stalk. (Half way there!)

13. Undo the 2 philips screws that hold the wiper stalk to the column. pull the stalk away and disconnect the multi plug.

14. Fit the new wiper stalk to the column and secure with the 2 philips screws. Connect the multi plug.

15. Refit rotary coupler (and wiring), steering column trim, remove the tape from the rotary coupler, fit the steering wheel and nut (ensuring that the indicator cancelling cam is correctly aligned with the steering wheel). Refit the horn button plug and connect the airbag. Secure the airbag in place with its screws.

16. Refit the SRS fuse and its cover (or reconnect the battery).

17. Pack away your toys and go for a drive!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0014.jpg (50.3 KB, 1107 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0015.jpg (59.1 KB, 876 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0016.jpg (66.7 KB, 1405 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0017.jpg (53.0 KB, 1048 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0019.jpg (58.3 KB, 1594 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0021.jpg (58.3 KB, 1265 views)

Last edited by cjmillsnun; 18-09-2006 at 19:18.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 25-08-2006, 17:30 Thread Starter

Part 2...

Getting variable intermittent to work (and programmed wash/wipe)

NOTE. This procedure involves a lot of electrical work ONLY attempt this is you understand vehicle electrical systems. I cannot and will not be responsible for your wipers not working after attempting this.

Tools required.

Soldering Iron and heatshrink wrap (or if you must - connector block).
5 15A Spade connectors
1 Mini Spade connector
A front wiper control unit
Crimpers

for the front wiper control unit I have found 2 suitable parts from the Rover parts bin.

DRC8534 - manufactured by Italamec (black relay) - fitted to the Austin/MG Metro
YWC10152 - manufactured by Pektron (red relay) - fitted to the Rover Metro and the (real) Mini (only fitted to the Mini that has the same stalks as originally in the F)

1. Disconnect the battery negative terminal.
2. Unplug the wiper motor.
3. On the loom side of the wiper motor multi-plug cut the green/grey and black wires.
4. Connect the green/grey wire on the loom to the black wire on the multi-plug (and vice versa) I used solder and heatshrink but you can use connector block as an alternative.
5. Plug the wiper motor back into your altered loom.
6. Remove the cowling from the steering column (as described above)
7. Disconnect the wiper stalk multi-plug.
8. Cut the multi plug off the variable delay wires (grey wires in a black sleve),
9. Cut the light green/green wire. connect one light green/green wire to one of the grey wires and the other grey wire to the other light green/green wire.
10. Cut the black wire on the multi-plug. tape up the black wire in the loom.
11. Cut the green/grey wire on the multi-plug connect the green grey wires together with the black wire on the multi-plug and an additional wire that is long enough to run behind the fuse box. Connect a 15A spade to this additional wire. (The additional wire is the power feed for your wiper delay unit)
12. (Optional.) For programmed wash/wipe splice an additional wire into the light green/black wire. This is the washer feed wire and needs a 15A spade connector.
13. plug the multi plug back into the wiper stalk and refit the steeing column cowling.
14. Remove the 2 10mm nuts that secure the fusebox to its mount withdraw the fuse box and unplug the 2 connectors going into the multi-function unit (MFU) (the red ecu on the back of the fuse-box)
15. On the 8 way connector into the MFU splice in a new wire onto the earth.
This is the earth wire and needs a 15A spade connector.
16. On the 8 way connector cut the brown/light green wire and put a 15A spade on the end this wire on the loom.
17. On the other connector into the MFU (26 way) cut the light green/green wire. Put the mini spade on the end of this wire on the loom
18. Cut the light green/purple wire on the 26 way connector and put a 15A spade on this wire on the loom.
19. Connect the spades to the wiper control unit as follows.
Power lead - 8
Earth lead - 4
Light green/purple - 2
Brown/light green - 5
Light green/green - 7 (red relay) 1 (black relay)
Washer feed - 6
20. Reconnect the MFU multi plugs
21. Refit the fuse box to the dashboard and secure with the 10mm nuts.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 26-08-2006, 17:57
Administrator

Car: MG TF 135 Platinum Silver, Skoda Roomster
Garages
Fantastic stuff, one set of instructions to print off I think.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 28-08-2006, 19:39

Car: 99 MGF & Alfa Spider LE
Add to petes website! Fantastic!

Iain
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 13:10

Car: MG ZT 260 SE V8
They do indeed look much better. I now have them fitted to Wiggles

Great easy to follow instructions CJ!

Now for the intermitant wiper wiring
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 20:51 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Olf View Post
Considering the fact they are so 'easy' to fit, then why the hell didn't MG-R fit them to all of their aging models to get rid of those ancient ones they had instead? They look really nice.

Same goes for MG TF door handles on the ZR?

Could you fit one to a 200?
What these stalks?

They could be fitted, but there is no rear wiper control on them. So an alternative would have to be found.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 22:34

Car: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmillsnun View Post
What these stalks?

They could be fitted, but there is no rear wiper control on them. So an alternative would have to be found.
Not even on the Fastback models ?
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 22:47
Richard Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverman View Post
Not even on the Fastback models ?
Fastbacks have a rear wiper button on the dash. They also switch the rear wiper on automatically when you select reverse with the front wipers on!
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 05:44 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Moss View Post
Fastbacks have a rear wiper button on the dash. They also switch the rear wiper on automatically when you select reverse with the front wipers on!
Aye, R8 200 hatchbacks, Bubble 200s, Rover Metros, Rover 100s & Bubble 400 hatches also do the reverse wipe when the front wiper is on.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 09:46
Richard Moss

The button on the dash is fine - the 800 does not suffer badly with spray when driving. In fact, the rear screen self clears aerodynamically as you drive so you only have to shift water that accumulates when you are stationary.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 17:59

Car: MG TF 135
Fantastic mod, best ever!!!!

Have you got the part numbers for the 2 switch assys, and are they the same as Freelander ones?

This has got to be one of the cleverest mods. Is the MFU the same for most/all models, just that in this case the switch connections are the limiting factor. Fit the switches with all the facilities, and everything works?
Does it do programmed wash/wipe as in all MG-R models, I can't believe it?

Well done
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 18:17 Thread Starter

I'll dig up part numbers for you tomorrow for the 2 stalks. They are identical to Freelander stalks

IIRC the MFUs have different part numbers, and the 800 uses something totally different called a CCU. I tried wiring the variable resistor into the existing wiper circuit and it didn't work, so you need to wire in the Metro/Mini setup.

And yes you can have a programmed wash/wipe (it is working in mine - I just need heated wash jets now for winter)
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 18:51

Car: MG TF 160 in Trophy Yellow
damn, only just seen this, it will be added to my site at the next update.

*scampers off to ebay in search of stalkers..........*
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 19:19

Quote:
I'll dig up part numbers for you tomorrow for the 2 stalks. They are identical to Freelander stalks

IIRC the MFUs have different part numbers, and the 800 uses something totally different called a CCU. I tried wiring the variable resistor into the existing wiper circuit and it didn't work, so you need to wire in the Metro/Mini setup.

And yes you can have a programmed wash/wipe (it is working in mine - I just need heated wash jets now for winter)
How did you work that mod out? Was it genius, or just logic by looking at other model wiring diagrams?
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 19:33 Thread Starter

A bit of both really.

I had some 800 stalks anyway from a car I broke, and I thought lets have a look.

The plugs were the same and when connected, everything (except the variable resistor) worked.

To get the variable intermittent working I looked at the Metro (as I used to have one with variable intermittent), but the delay unit pin-out wasn't on the wiring diagram. Then looked at the Mini diagram (as they use the same unit) and got what I needed!
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 20:29

I think it's fantastic. Some of Britains finest MG brains have given up on the wash/wipe function. I've always been convinced it was possible, and it was just crap switches all the time!!

Let's have the part numbers, and I'll have a go. Just goes to show what a bit of intuitive commonsense/ experience leads to.

PS, might have to come back to you if I can't understand your instructions
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 20:35 Thread Starter

Aye no worries...

Will sort out the part numbers tomorrow when I can ask my local stealer.

The programmed wash-wipe function is in the wiper delay unit, so you'll need one of those.
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 11:48

Car: MG TF 160 in Trophy Yellow
thanks to CJ, this bad boy is now mine
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 16:44

Quote:
Aye no worries...

Will sort out the part numbers tomorrow when I can ask my local stealer.

The programmed wash-wipe function is in the wiper delay unit, so you'll need one of those.
Got on order today, should be in Wed with a bit of luck.

I guess there is a bit of circuitry in the relay box which explains the price!!
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 05:44 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Olf View Post
Just tried today, my 100 doesn't have this feature...
Odd. My old metty did, as did my OH's 100