HOW TO: MG TF starter button :) - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 18:39 Thread Starter

Car: MG TF 135 Sprint
HOW TO: MG TF starter button :)

Today I've finally managed to install a push starter button for TF, there are a few guides such is this

How Do I... Fit an Engine Push-Button Start???

and

http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2...tton/index.htm

but none of them cover the ignition wires for a TF that's because the colour of the wires are different and you'll have to search which (pain in the arse and not practical). Luckily I've done this for you so let's get cracking.

-I ordered the button from this guy http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Really good eBayer becuase I've ordered the one with black surround and by the time I realised has the same one with chrome housing (deffo go with chrome) I already paid and he sent me a chrome one, no charge. Really nice bloke.

-The package and button look like this

-Connected the wiring how it should be before putting it in the car, to get a better picture

- No. 1, thick red wires will go to the ignition barrel (wires black/yellow and white/red- remember that)
-No. 2, will go to cigarette lighter power supply (12V)
-No. 3, is for button illumination

Alright let's go into the car

-First disconnect the battery (I presume you know how to do that so no pic )

-Take the inside of the ashtray out

-There you will see 2 screws that need undoing

-Now you can see ciggys power leads. Take the cigarette lighter out.

-Now you will have to push out the whole surround out. I have to say quite some force will be needed to do that and if it seems it's stuck like hell in there you're not pushing hard enough. When you're done it'll look like this

Alright so far so good. Don't do this bit but I had to take the steering column apart to check which wires are correct and I have to say this was the biggest problem.

After some testing with the voltmeter, a light and help from members here I eventually found that the ones you'll need are: WHITE/RED and BLACK/YELLOW.

-So let's continue. First proceed with taking the side footwell cover off, only two screws and you'll have much more room to work in.

-Bellow the steering wheel there's a black loom containing wires. It's split in the middle and usually held by some insulating tape, take it off and you'll see this

-Now if you have a tool like this (borrowed from a friend ) or a knife, scissors, whatever go ahead and strip the black/yellow and white/red wires. Do not cut them unless you only want to use the button for ignition. This might cause issues with insurance, or in the event of breaking you wont be able to start it with a key.

-After you're done it should look something like this

-Take the two solid red thick wires going from the rele and hook them up. It's not important which way as you'll connect the other two to the cigarette lighter wires. There you will have to watch the polarity. I leave it up to you if you're going to solder them, twist them together ,...etc. Just a bit of info, how ever you do it don't use the clips provided in the package , they will not cut through the wire and make a connection. Take my word for it

-Now don't start taping, applying heating rubber on,.... as you still need to hook up the illumination wires before you do that. I made that mistake tho

-Alright now you're almost sorted. take your other two wires one from rele and other from start button and hook them up to the cigarette power leads. Now the polarity is important so watch out. Go out connect the battery again, put the key in, turn to pos 2 and push the button. If nothing happens disconnect the battery again and switch the wires then repeat. You should be able to start the engine now.

Sorry I was so into wiring this I forgot to take some more snaps at this stage, but all should be fine.

-Now the illumination wires are very short and you'll need to extend them to reach the ignition barrel.

I hooked up these wires to the same one as the red thick rele button. That is to the yellow/black and white/red. Again you need to watch the polarity due to the LED. If it doesn't turn on when you turn the key to position 2, switch the wires and it should come on. I read some saying you need to put a resistor due to high voltage but I didn't and it works, why don't ask me

-Feed the wires through to the other side. I found the included black plastic tie coming very handy.

-After you made all the connections, checked if the button and illumination work go ahead screwing/putting things back up. Feed the wires back to the black loom as much as you can and tape it with insulating tape a bit, hide the wires behind the footwell cover and screw that in.

-When you're done, go back to the button

-If you hold the little red/black switch box at the bottom and twist the upper part you can take it apart like this

-Use the plastic bolt provided in the package and fit to the chrome bit from the inside the ashtray hole to prevent from turning or popping up. Afterwards reassemble from the inside. Try to take it apart and back before when you get the parts, before fitting to see how it works, very easy don't worry. As said the biggest problem were the ignition wires not knowing which to use (black/yellow and white/red)

Alright after you're done with all that it should look something like this

DISCLAIMER:

Please I am not responsible for teaching anyone how to jump start a TF or for any electrical damage you do to your car or any blown fuses. I did it exactly as written above and everything was fine. Disconnect the battery before you mess with the wires and hook it up once you are ready to try and you should be fine.

I love the way it looks, works and even though some people may think its pointless it has that wow/cool effect so it was worth the effort. I hope this helps someone and any questions just ask

Anel

Last edited by MG_TF_2004; 20-07-2011 at 22:37.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 19:59

Car: Mini Cooper S 1.6 Turbo
Goood job, I like it

Only problem I have is that I need my cig lighter for my sat nav.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 20:02

Car: MGF Lucifer & Ford Clitoris
Send a message via MSN to The Jester
i like it Anel....and as sam says the cig lighter is needed for other things aswell as being a smoker so mine is on the binnacle...ignore any comments of its pointlessness as im sure you have before deciding to fit this...great feature if gimmicky

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 20:06

Car: ZR-T16
Do what i did and keep the lighter socket under the ashtray and fit an extention to it that runs up into the cd box/armrest that adds 2 lighter sockets and 1 usb charger also
Great guide also mate
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 20:14

Car: MGF MK2 1.8i,BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev321 View Post
Do what i did and keep the lighter socket under the ashtray and fit an extention to it that runs up into the cd box/armrest that adds 2 lighter sockets and 1 usb charger also
Great guide also mate
Indeed, though mine runs into space behind centre console to a 4 way extension, and wires can travel from there and appear where needed . Ive had starter button where cig lighter is...laser detector on windscreen with wire appearing just where it was needed, sat nav on rhs of windscreen, wire appearing where needed, phone charger next to steering wheel, with wire appearing where needed...all wires hidden neatly until needed and still a spare

Great How to Anel...
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 20:23

Car: MG TF
Nice HOW TO! Would this work the same in an MG F Mk2, or just in a TF?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 20:28

Car: MGF MK2 1.8i,BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneio View Post
Ive got feeling my wires were different colours form Mk1 F AND TF....you'd be best to test them to be honest
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 21:46 Thread Starter

Thank you people, really had hard time figuring the wires out, been asking people for colour wires for 2 days now, couldn't measure anything without taking stuff apart,... So if it helps just one it will have served its purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneio View Post
Yes the same thing, just the wires are different than the TF. If you check the links in the first post you will see the guides are for F's only and the wires you'll be needing, if I remember correctly are white/red and brown/purple but don't hold me on that. Check the guides available first, if not then I'm afraid you'll have to do as I did

Last edited by MG_TF_2004; 18-09-2011 at 23:03.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 21:54
Brooklands Winner 2012

Send a message via AIM to MeetwithDamien Send a message via MSN to MeetwithDamien
Good Job Anel, well posted
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 11:59

When i bought the car ive had this mod done, only without the button,only simple cigarette lighter..now im planing to get rid of it since i simply dont have a 12v socket anymore..but would like to move the button somewhere..any ideas?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 29-02-2012, 10:08

Car: MGF
Light on Push button Start

Hi
I notice in the short video that the light on the push button start goes out after the car is running.
I have exactly the same button from ebay and i have wired the light up to the thick relay wires as you suggest but the light stays on?
Although the wiring in my 2001 mgf is slightly different.
I have connected the starter to red/white brown/white.
Is there a way to wire it so the light goes out after engine start?
Or is because of the difference in model and wiring?
Cheers
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 29-02-2012, 11:22 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhill67 View Post
Hi
I notice in the short video that the light on the push button start goes out after the car is running.
I have exactly the same button from ebay and i have wired the light up to the thick relay wires as you suggest but the light stays on?
Although the wiring in my 2001 mgf is slightly different.
I have connected the starter to red/white brown/white.
Is there a way to wire it so the light goes out after engine start?
Or is because of the difference in model and wiring?
Cheers
Phew mate I don't know how to help other then, I hooked the button led wires to the same ignition wires as the thick red ones. The way I understand it works is after you make contact from pos 2 to post 3 and the car starts, the voltage drops so the light goes off as you see it in the video.

What else could be done I really don't know, I'm sorry.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 11:31

Car: MGF
NO probs thanks for replying

Cheers anyway. Just thought I'd ask.
The button works fine, it just stays lit after the car is running..Strange?.
It seems that the light is connected to a permanant live when the car is running? but it goes out just like the ciggerette lighter when engine turned off.
Nice addition to the car. I used your pics and instructions so cheers for that. The only difference was the wire colour between your modlel & mine.
Cheers again.. I might have a think and a play around with it..
Lee
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 16-05-2012, 12:55

Wired my illumination to the footwell lights open the door and the light comes on and stays on for a minute or two start the car and it goes out!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 16-05-2012, 18:09 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsowry View Post
Wired my illumination to the footwell lights open the door and the light comes on and stays on for a minute or two start the car and it goes out!
Yup agree I got many things wired to the footwell lights and the best thing is they dim out nicely when you start the car or lock it
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 29-01-2017, 18:31

Can someone help please I am trying to view this thread but i am unable to see the images.
A link or some advice would be great
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 29-01-2017, 19:05
Stuck in the 80's...

Car: Flame Red '95 MGF, 17 Mini Cooper S, 13 VX Astra, 15 VX Corsa & 59 Fiesta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladams1993 View Post
Can someone help please I am trying to view this thread but i am unable to see the images.
A link or some advice would be great
Sadly it is probably because the images have been deleted by the poster from the hosting location.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For .org forum only search results in Google, add "site:mg-rover.org" after your search criteria

Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 29-01-2017, 19:14
Administrator

Car: MG TF 135 Platinum Silver, Skoda Roomster
Garages
As Ian points out and I can confirm the images are no longer being hosted on the 3rd party site.

Sadly MG_TF_2004 hasn't logged onto the forum for 18 months.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 30-01-2017, 18:48

ok thanks for letting me know. Does anyone have a link to another thread about the push button start or possibly have the images ??

Thanks in advance

lee
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 30-01-2017, 19:10
Administrator

Car: MG TF 135 Platinum Silver, Skoda Roomster
Garages
If you scroll right almost to the bottom of this page you should see some links for "Similar Threads", I would start there as it is full of links to starter buttons. Just keep in mind that they are all old threads from a time when this modification was more in vogue. More and more insurance co's seemed to take a dislike to it.

Away from this site http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2...tton/index.htm