How To:- Parking Sensors - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 12:34 Thread Starter

Car: MG TF 135, Citroen Picasso
How To:- Parking Sensors

My first how to, no, this is my second, the first is on hold until I figure out some more bits (motorised satnav from under dash) So onward....

Why parking sensors? Well even though the TF is a smallish car, it has some very large blindspots with the hood up and the plastic rear screen, especially at night, so sensors seemed a good option, especially as I had just put a set on the Picasso.

So to proceed. First off remove the rear bumper, for instructions on how to do that, check out this post by CJJ...

Rear bumper removal.

This took me a while, screws out on wheel arches no problem, then after searching all my toolchests, realised I didn't have the T50 torx driver, off to Halfords to buy on that size. I ask you, is there any need to use a T50? a T30 in that bolt head would suffice.

So,once bumper is off, make sure you have the house free, wifey out at work or visiting friends, why? because the best place to put the bumper is on a kitchen work surface with a suitable towel under it LOL...

So first pic is the kit itself, this one came from. Ebay stores...

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/parkingsens...=p4634.c0.m322

If you scan down the list its the 4 sensor kit that comes in a multitude of colours, I got a close match with the dark green. If you want to be pedantic, the sensors can be oversprayed with a single coat of choice of colour from a rattle can.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 12:46 Thread Starter

The next pic shows the bumper on the work surface with the holes already drilled. The kit comes with the correct sized holesaw included. The sensors I thought may have to be glued in, but are in actual fact a very tight push fit, no glue required.

I took my first measurement by following The outside edge of the upright of the exhaust opening closest to the number plate, is that clear? Once I had this mark in place I measured down from the swage line 1" and put a small mark, I used a felt tip pen. I moved to the other side and repeated, then stood back and eyeballed it to make sure it looked right.

Then from both of these marks I measured towards the outside of the bumper 12" and again 1" down from the swage line. I did the eyeballing bit again and once happy picked up the drill. Go easy, I found it best to drill so far and then move to the next hole and repeat. Then return to the first one and drill a bit more. Repeating until I was all the way through on them all. Why do it this way? If you try and go through in one pass the plastic will get hot and start to melt, leaving you with a poor hole.

You can see the kitchen counter, good job the wife doesn't bother with this forum, I can assure all the lady members it was totally cleaned up and she never new a thing!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 12:50 Thread Starter

Last pic was a little small and hard to see, but here's another with the sensors pushed into place.

Now my idea for the wiring was to push the cables through the number plate wirig grommet. But in their wisdom MG decided to glue these grommets to the cable! So a minute or two with a craft knife and the grommets were history, replaced with 'real' rubber grommets I had in the garage, these can be bought from yep Halfords.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 12:53 Thread Starter

So I now took the bumper back outside, placed it on an old piece of carpet I keep for laying on the floor on. Then it was back inside and clean round before wifey got home. Bac.k outside the bumper went on relatively easy and this pic shows it back in plac with the sensors. Ignore the coke can I was thristy LOL, the box contains the rest of the electronics.

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 13:00 Thread Starter

The carpet was already pulled back to get access for the internal bumper fastenings. Finding the live for the reverse lights was relatively simple, I removed a light cluster so that it was easier to pull off the connector. Then with the aid of a circuit tester I put the car in reverse and turned on the ignition, testing the wire which I felt fairly certain was the feed for the reverse bulb. I was correct with the Green with Brown tracer. So turning off the ignition and taking car out of gear I returned to the boot space.

I hate scotchloks but you can use em if you want to, I stripped back some of the insulation and made a soldered joint between the reverse light cable and the feed for the sensors. I repeated for the earth cable also, then taped everything up. Pic is a bit blurred but the live is already done and the earth can be seen soldered but waiting for insulation.

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 13:03 Thread Starter

Next pic shows the boot liner back in place and all the excess cable and there is a lot of it, tucked away under the liner. The electronic box can be placed anywhere in the boot as long as the cables can connect to it. I decided to tuck it away behind the bracket for the boot lock as can be seen in the pic.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 13:07 Thread Starter

So to the last pic in the how to. It shows the units buzzer on the floor of the boot. I wasn't too sure how loud this was going to be so wanted to test it first. I closed the boot lid down and got in the car to reverse up to our fence, even with the radio off I had to strain to hear it in the boot. So this means the buzzer will need to be routed through to the cab. A job for the weekend, but all in all I reckon its going to be a decent mod, so that concludes this part.

EDIT: more instructions and pics on the second part of the how to further on in the topic. 2nd part shows location of buzzer in cab and how to pull wires back into the boot space.

Last edited by bandk; 16-11-2010 at 17:02.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 15:00
Hobbyist

Car: MG TF 160, ZR 2.0 Diesel
Very nice , well done. Where are you looking to put the buzzer? could it route through to the parcel shelf somewhere? seems the easiest route and being behind your head it should be easy to hear??

Rep added.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 15:06

Car: BCAWW - Sunspot Yellow TF, Monty - Typhoon 160 TF - Fizz 160 TF - white with purple leather interior
Send a message via MSN to Pendle Lass
A nice how to, have you asked for a link to it to be inserted into the hints & tips sticky??

Nice to see it was diet coke you were drinking
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 15:40
Supporter

Car: MG TF135 XPG, Ford Kuga
Nice job there. Been thinking of putting some in mine for a while now but wasn't too sure how difficult a job it would be. Your 'how to' will be a great help if i decide to go for it. (Convincing better half I really need to use the kitchen worktop will probably be most difficult part of task!!)
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 15:54

Car: MGF
Smile

I was just in Adsa, thinking that I could with parking sensors. Got back, checked the forums and found this. Thank you! Rep added :-D
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 16:05

Car: TF135, MG3, MG6 GT TSE
My friend and I fitted sensors a couple of weeks ago. We didn't remove the bumper, and managed to route all the cable completely out of sight. The kit I bought has a display and beeper which is fitted on the dashboard near the windscreen. My kit specified fitting the sensors lower than Bandk's. Two were on the black uprights either side of the number plate, the other two on the bumper, the same height above ground. This raises the question of whether to paint two, four or no sensors; so far I have done nothing about this.

Interestingly, I put the control box thingy in exactly the same place in the boot as BandK. The thing works very well, and the readout tells you rather vaguely how far away you are from an obstruction and beeps to perfection. As has been said, the TF is not easy to reverse, especially if you have the (smaller) glass rear window in the hood. I have a difficult reverse out of my garage, and I'm finding the radar a great relief.

Sorry no pictures! I have no camera, and haven't a clue how to use Photobouquet.

Laurie G0MRL
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 16:12 Thread Starter

Glad to be of service. The instructions for this set suggested a height of around 300mm, any lower and you run the risk of detecting the kerb edge etc with the outer two and missing the object behind you altogether if its a car ( detectors may scan under the vehicle). At this height you are definately going to detect another car or object.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 19:25

Car: MGF 1.8 VVC '97 Volcano Orange
I bought exactly the same kit as this from ebay and fitted it to my F recently. The hardest part is summoning up the courage to cut 4 dirty great big holes in the lovely shiny bumper! However, once the fear is overcome after doing the first one, the rest is simple.

The things I did differently are:
1. I didn't remove the bumper, mainly because I couldn't budge the 2 big bolts and didn't want to break the crush boxes and secondly, I managed to get enough fingers behind to route the wires (saves any nagging too!!).
2. My 4 sensors were equally spaced, the two 'pairs' in these pictures look closer together than the middle two (it may just be the way the picture was taken of course).
3. I put my 'beeper' behind the upright cubby box. It did mean removing the T-bar though. I put the wire through a grommet on the left hand side of the parcel shelf. It was quite loud enough, even with the radio fairly loud. If you do it this way and find it is TOO loud, you can cover the hole in the middle of the sensor with masking tape.
4. I gave mine a quick spray to match the bumper before finally pushing them in.... turned out excellent.

I don't have any pics (sorry) as I sold the car last week... I have my orange beauty instead now! I can't bring myself to cut the holes in this one though (yet)!!!!!!!!! If and when I do, I will definitely use the same kit again.

I was VERY pleased with the end result and all for 15 and 3 hours work (dithering mostly). However, I did notice that I got false beeps when reverse was selected and it was raining hard.... didn't bother me though, after all, better to get false readings than none at all!!
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 19:33

Car: 96' BRG MGF, 95' Land Rover Discovery 300 TDI, Skoda VRS
Good effort bandk, just to confirm, this is the 16.99 kit you went for and it checked out ok? Seems a bargain, although thinking more for the Discovery than my F. If I knew how to add rep, I'd do it
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 19:43 Thread Starter

The direct link. 14.99 free packing and it truly was next day delivery (discount sunday). I ordered last saturday morning, they were in mail on monday morning.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PARKING-REVERS...item35a53e71ef
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 19:49

Car: 96' BRG MGF, 95' Land Rover Discovery 300 TDI, Skoda VRS
Crikey, even better! I'll grab a set for the Mrs's Disco, good to know something that cheap actually works
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 20:15

Car: MX5 NC Icon Winning Blue, Rover 25 IXL BRG
Great How To, I just wish people would stop posting these as I have enough jobs to do without being tempted by other folks good ideas

Rep given.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 21:05

Car: MGF
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrproudfoot View Post
Great How To, I just wish people would stop posting these as I have enough jobs to do without being tempted by other folks good ideas

Rep given.
My thoughts exactly. I'm thinking about the wireless kits, anyone have one of these?
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 21:10

Car: 1997 MGF 1.8i VVC, 1976 Mk4 Midget
Send a message via MSN to dressur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petevick View Post
very good how to. However, I really really don't see the point in them unless your really really crap at reversing/judging distance (refrains from the "like most women" jibe....oops), besides which, your bumper now looks like its got 4 big rivets in it.

...just my pov
Oi you! I refer you to my recent post Automotive Manoeuvres in the dark!