Rover 25 Meshing R25 Grille - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 21:47 Thread Starter

Car: Gone the "dubway"
Send a message via MSN to Skottimus Prime Send a message via Skype™ to Skottimus Prime
Meshing R25 Grille

Meshing R25 Grille by Skott Devall

Right, Iím in NO WAY responsible if this goes wrong for ya! But Iíve created this guide on this popular topic for those who need the advice

If you still want the thing chrome, then only go as far as cutting and sanding the fins, and then fit the mesh as described below but if you want to colour code it tooÖ.

First of all, you may want to buy yourself another R25 grille from eBaY (not sure what theyíre going for now) but in my opinion itís a better bet than using yours as if you make a mistake or mess it up (as I did first time) you have the one on the car still!

Youíre also going to need some Plastic Primer (I used grey as my car is Platinum Silver), the paint itself which I bought from Halfrauds and some Clear Lacquer. Oh, and the mesh you want to use!

Then you want to cut all the vertical fins out of the damn thing, I did this with clippers although be careful to remove as much as you can without damaging the outside of thing.

Next you need to sand down the rest of the bits you may not have been able to trim off be careful not to take too much of (like me!) and need to fill a little bit, although this shouldnít be a problem!

At this point either remove the Rover badge or mask over it with masking tape as I did.

Then you wanna key it real good and give it a jolly good sand so the primer will have some grooves to stick to (itíll probably describe how to do this on your can of primer!) and make sure you cover it all, you donít want to miss and start a peel.
After youíve give it a good few layers of primer let the primer go off, have a cuppa! Relax!

Make sure this surface is clean as you want to make sure thereís no dust or anything built up during the cuppa break you just had.

Then you want to apply your paint (follow the instructions on the can) in short bursts of straight lines, it will take a few coats and donít stay in one area too long else it will run and youíll have some problems and probably have to re-sand the darn thing Ė remember how fun the sanding was?! (!)

After you have several coats of paint and have covered the entire thing, leave it to go off for 24 hours (as advised by your lacquer can) before coating in several layers of lacquer to give it that extra protection.

Then you need to shape your mesh, I did this by getting my unmodified grille (whilst the others lacquer was drying) turning it over and cutting out a section about the size of the whole thing, then whilst itís turned over bend the edges (may require some trimming and mind yer fingers!) so that it semi-stays in place. It will require some gluing to your new grille, I used Araldite although others have used silicone and all sorts!

Peel your masking tape off, or stick your badge back on and put the pretty thing on your motor and marvel in the subtle and fantastic difference this makes!

Hope it all works out and this helps a whole bunch of people!

Cheers, Skott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 21:49 Thread Starter

Car: Gone the "dubway"
Send a message via MSN to Skottimus Prime Send a message via Skype™ to Skottimus Prime
If any one wants to add to this or if the mods wanna make this a "sticky" then that's cool I'll add more and amend as appropriate with peoples suggestions!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 22:45

Car: MG ZR 160
Awesome guide. Ive already meshed mine but has inspired me to colourcode it silver to my car.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 23:28

Car: '64 Ford Focus and ZR160 Track Car
Send a message via MSN to Catterall1
Good guide mate!

When I did mine I peeled all the chrome off and sanded the plastic underneath down with 240 then 600 grade wet + dry sand paper, soaked in warm soapy water, cleaned with white spirit, left to dry, then primered, painted and lacquered it.

Removing the chrome requires working from the back of the grill, and using a stanley knife to peel up, and sometimes pliers to peel off.
It is very time consuming, however the paint will flake off the chrome in time.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 17-04-2010, 16:46

Car: Rover 25
Hi,
Okay so I cut the fins today and one cracked so iam going to have to file that little ridge right down which wasnt ideal. also when you peeled the chrome off did you peel ALL of it off? How long did it take? finally when coming to meshing it should i fold the mesh round over the back or just stick a flat piece onto the back?
Thanks in advance
Peace
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 19-04-2010, 18:24

Car: '64 Ford Focus and ZR160 Track Car
Send a message via MSN to Catterall1
I peeled all of it off. I also folded the mesh around the back and glued it on. It took me a few hours to peel the mesh off, a stanley knife and a pair of needle nosed pliers will help speed it up a bit
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 29-04-2010, 07:19

Thumbs up Can anyone here help with this part?

As part of the bumper, there are two vents either side. You can pop these in and out, i had to do this when replacing the indicator. But what are these vents called?

Ive got a rover 25 maroon colour, and my driver side "vent" has popped out. It looks rotten with a gapping hole in the bumper. Can anyone help out?

Mike
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 29-04-2010, 17:22

Car: Civic Type R
You got a pic... is it your fog blank????

Rick
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 24-08-2010, 09:51

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Quote:
michaelridomCan anyone here help with this part?
As part of the bumper, there are two vents either side. You can pop these in and out, i had to do this when replacing the indicator. But what are these vents called?

Ive got a rover 25 maroon colour, and my driver side "vent" has popped out. It looks rotten with a gapping hole in the bumper. Can anyone help out?

Mike
seems to me mike this calls for a cold air feed instead of replacing the plastic unless u have foglights
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 17-10-2010, 11:33

Car: MG ZS 180 Mk2 (XPG)
Picked up a spare on ebay for my Bubble for <£10 including postage.

Going to give this a go once it arrives, thanks
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 17-10-2010, 11:52

Car: Civic Type R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aden View Post
Picked up a spare on ebay for my Bubble for <£10 including postage.

Going to give this a go once it arrives, thanks
Ive got an already meshed one, could of had that

Rick
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 19-10-2010, 11:52

Car: MG ZS 180 Mk2 (XPG)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickz View Post
Ive got an already meshed one, could of had that

Rick
Aaah damn, wish I'd known.

It arrived today, its a 200 one I think and I managed to unscrew to remove the fins - not sure if that's the same as other models?

Undecided on whether or not I want to colour code it yet but with the mesh sitting behind it, its looking pretty smart. Will probably replace the badge on it too, since this has some scratches and I want it to look mint once its done
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 18-11-2010, 12:28

where did you get the mes from?
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 21-11-2010, 21:20

When I put the mesh on mine, I stuck a stainless coach bolt onto the back of the centre piece of the grill using epoxy resin. I done this as a temporary measure as it allowed me to put it back on the car as I had no sealant at the time and the halfrauds clour match british racing green for rover 25 is wrong as it is a slightly paler BRG found on the rover 200. I done this nearly a year ago and I still haven't glued the mesh and it is absoluteley fine. I could get different types of mesh and change them if I fancy a different look....

Last edited by Diffbuster; 21-11-2010 at 21:27.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 21-11-2010, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diffbuster View Post
When I put the mesh on mine, I stuck a stainless coach bolt onto the back of the centre piece of the grill using epoxy resin. I done this as a temporary measure as it allowed me to put it back on the car as I had no sealant at the time and the halfrauds clour match british racing green for rover 25 is wrong as it is a slightly paler BRG found on the rover 200. I done this nearly a year ago and I still haven't glued the mesh and it is absoluteley fine. I could get different types of mesh and change them if I fancy a different look....
How do you remove the grill, i only had a quick look but couldn't work out how to get it off.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 22-11-2010, 11:07

There are 2 plastic star head type expansion screws at the top of the grill. And it is held in at the bottom by 2 wedge shaped lugs that are part of the grill. It can be kinda fiddly getting the bottom of the grill to un-clip from the bumper. I found it best to pull the top of the grill forward just enough to get my hand down behind it to pop the grill out of the slots in the bumper, just be sure not to force it too hard or you will break the lugs off the grill
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 22-11-2010, 11:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catterall1 View Post
I peeled all of it off. I also folded the mesh around the back and glued it on. It took me a few hours to peel the mesh off, a stanley knife and a pair of needle nosed pliers will help speed it up a bit
I definately recommend that the chrome comes off. It takes about an hour but it allows you to key the surface properly for paint. If it's left on the paint will scrape off easily.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 22-11-2010, 17:09

thanks ill have a look and see if i can see the screws
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 30-01-2011, 14:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diffbuster View Post
I definately recommend that the chrome comes off. It takes about an hour but it allows you to key the surface properly for paint. If it's left on the paint will scrape off easily.
just started doing mine today. getting the chrome off is an absolute biatch... how have you guys managed to do it? ive got about 6cm of so far with a whole grill to do, and getting slightly disheartened at the sheer magnitude of the peeling process lol
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 30-01-2011, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton19 View Post
just started doing mine today. getting the chrome off is an absolute biatch... how have you guys managed to do it? ive got about 6cm of so far with a whole grill to do, and getting slightly disheartened at the sheer magnitude of the peeling process lol
It is a long and boring job doing this, but as Catterall1 suggested, use a stanley blade and a pair of pliers to peel it. But doing this can leave some nicks in the plastic caused by the blade. I skimmed some P38 filler over them and gave them a quick rub down with fine wet and dry then another good going over with some scotchbrite before priming, the scotchbrite helps key up the parts that are hard to get with the paper. I reccommend you shape the mesh into the grill before you do all the painting to avoid scraping your fresh paintwork.

Last edited by Diffbuster; 30-01-2011 at 16:40.