First job this morning:
Undid sweet as a (captuerd) nut!
So on reassembly no more Torx:
The air became somewhat blue with the last few jobs - self tappers not quite finding their targets in the undertray and the bumper wings not slotting in easily near where the wheelarch top bolt secures all. All done then except the bonnet will not shut. Now I had read the horror stories about them not opening but not closing was new to me. I had tugged the release latch just to make sure the cable was running and second job earlier this morning had been to make sure the cables ran very smoothly and were clipped carefully into place.
Well, well, well!
I wrote a new post and James told me to do the bonnet mod when sorted and whilst I was reading it Rover reported:
On checking a little further I found that the two retaining bolts on each Bonnet Lock were tightened so that the rotating discs inside were very stiff. As an exercise I tightened these bolts a little further & found that this completely seized the locks so that no amount of pulling on the handle would activate the locks.
The remedy was to set the bolts at a low torque & apply Nutloc so that they will not move, the locks now rotate very easily.
I suspect that these bolts were torqued up the same as the 13 that retain the Grille to the Slam Panel on build,as I purchased the car new & had never had reason to touch these previously. I think this could contribute to the high incidence of Jammed Bonnets we see reported.
If these bolts are overtightened no amount of greasing will overcome the problem.
So I slackened all four bonnet release mechanism bolts and problem solved. I also did the bonnet mod (two minute job) to make sure it never gets stuck either.
Hope your job goes even easier with all the information in this thread.