Rover 75 / MG ZT/T Rover 75/MGZT Service Interval Reset *At your own risk* - Page 14 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
post #261 of 266 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 11:50

Car: MG ZT
hi just done mine first time no prob zt 1.8 turbo 53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #262 of 266 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 20:46

Car: MG ZT
service reset

I have always used the method of shorting out pins 4&8 but I have made up 2 wires with a single pole switch and soldered the free ends to make probing the diagnostic socket easier. Insert both wires into the socket pins 4&8, just switch on after the ign. is turned on and it resets the count, it certainly makes it easier than trying to probe the socket in the available time with a piece of wire.
post #263 of 266 (permalink) Old 22-02-2015, 08:29

Car: Rover 75 Limousine
Smile reset interval -54.000 k succesfull !

(Attention! Following position description is for European R75's with steering wheel at the left ).
It's february 2015 and I'm still the proud owner of a R75 2.0 CDT limo, 2000 model, with 330.000 km's. Had the usual services done at a local garage but they couldn't reset the service interval. I red about this issue here. I just did reset the interval by myself (interval shows already -54.000 km! at the dashboard). How? Indeed by using 2 paperclips. Tip: use long and thick paperclips, that makes it easier to make the right contact with the socket, and to connect 4 and 8 properly. You don't have to bow below at the crucial moment. One pin in hole 4 and one in hole 8, of the black connector, positioned left under the steering wheel nearby the drivers door. (Steer left because I drive in Holland). Both paperclips not directly connected with each other (shortage), but you have to connect them just directly after putting the key-ignition in position 2. Use your (left) hand to connect the wires, so you just can stay sitting at the driverseat, and make the key connection-2 with your right hand. Keep the paperclips constantly connected after (!) turning the key. In fact pin 4 to 8 are then connected through the paperclips. I did the connection for about approximately 25 seconds. Then disconnect the paperclip ends (stop the shortage), turn the key to zero, and again set the key in ignition-position 2. At that moment I red: 'oil service at 24.500 km' (=15.000 miles). Yes! So it worked, even with this great negative service number! Just try it, it's not that difficult. I had to do it several times before I succeeded. The crucial thing in my opinion is that you'll start the connection between 4 and 8 just at the moment that you'll see for a few seconds the interval notification at the dashboard. By the way......at this moment only a few R75 drivers left in the Netherlands, a pitty.

Last edited by Nautilus; 22-02-2015 at 08:55.

post #264 of 266 (permalink) Old 20-05-2015, 07:50

Car: 03MG ZT 190+
service reset

Having owned my MG ZT 190 for a little over 6 months and just loving it, i have had the frustrating problem of not being able to reset the service indicator, the previous owner told me that the service indicator could not be reset due to it being stuffed up at a previous service using the paper clip method and at later servicing by rover dealers the reset could not be performed.
i have attempted many times with the paperclip with no luck.
today i was doing some electrical wiring in my new kitchen and thought why not try again shorting pin 8 to the door post with some electrical wire, it worked first time, now reading 24500 km no longer -35000.
just goes to show if one method does not work try another
thanks to all on this forum for all this great information
post #265 of 266 (permalink) Old 26-06-2016, 10:33

Car: Rover 75 Tourer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukka View Post
works on a ZT 1.8T - 2004 pre facelift.

Was showing -1300
Latest update from me June 2016. I managed at my first attempt to reset the Oil Service warning that showed 3000 miles to go until the next service was due. I have from new, a Rover Tourer 75 CDT, Year 2001 on a Y plate (one of the first produced), 98,000 miles on the clock.(Sorry, but I have been married to my car for that long!)

Using a 20" length of aerial coaxial cable. Stripped 1 " of bare copper to each end. Carefully inserted one end into pin no 8, crouched on my knees outside the car with the aid of an extendable flexi mirror made by Rolson, this saved me bending my head in an unusual position! I then sat back in the drivers seat, turned the ignition to position no2, I then immediately touched the door pillar nut bracket with the other end of the cable counting upto 3 seconds. Turned off the ignition. Removed the aerial cable from the socket. Turned back on the ignition to start the car, VOILA! I managed to reset back to 15,000 miles service indicator.

I'm quite pleased it worked first attempt. Good Luck to anyone else who still owns a 75 Rover and wants to try the resets as discussed in this post. Thanks OP for a great thread.
post #266 of 266 (permalink) Old 17-07-2016, 15:05

Look on ebay. I bought a reset tool that plugs straight in. £15 with easy to follow instructions. There are cheaper 1's but they look dodgy. The 1 i got was from the UK and was demonstrated on you tube.