Sloppy PG1 Gear Linkage - How To fix it! - Page 2 - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #21 of 224 (permalink) Old 25-08-2006, 07:49

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) "Bubble Shape"
Hmm.. Just found the HOW-TO pdf file on my comp.. That again got me thinking of doing this mod..

But, how worth while is it? Is it really THAT good?
And what's the chance of screwing up your gear linkage or wanting to go back to the old situation (clearly not possible anymore after sawing off the joint :P)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 224 (permalink) Old 25-08-2006, 08:30 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 200 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummeke View Post
Hmm.. Just found the HOW-TO pdf file on my comp.. That again got me thinking of doing this mod..

But, how worth while is it? Is it really THAT good?
And what's the chance of screwing up your gear linkage or wanting to go back to the old situation (clearly not possible anymore after sawing off the joint :P)

Lets just say - i couldnt believe the difference it made - it really is a suberb gear shift now - yu ask Dr Dave?

Last edited by The Mad Hat Man; 13-09-2006 at 06:43.
post #23 of 224 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 16:09

Car: 97 Sterling 93 Tomcat Nasp 98 620 GSDI
Gear box linkage mod

will this mod work for my 1997 R 620GSDI?
Royally fed up of difficult gear changes!!!!
Will the 416 UJ work as well?
Escuse the Qs but I have tried 3 diff linkages , none lasted long!

Thanks all
Oderaro
97 GSDI Turbo `N`LUVINNIT

post #24 of 224 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 17:15

Car: 200 Bubble derv; 800 Vitty Hatch
Doubted the benefits of this one, but, as my original linkage was not only 'loose' but giving an annoying rattle whilst engine ticking over in neutral, I gave it a go this afternoon. Start to finish less than half an hour, and now has one of the sweetest FWD changes I've driven - and big bonus - the rattle has gone. Believe you me, you wont want the old change back so don't worry about hack-sawing the original joint.

Scary thought - Whose brain produced "Me gearbox linkage is goosed. I think I'll use the UJ off a steering column" and even spookier that Rover made it just the right size on both sides of the UJ !!!!!!!
post #25 of 224 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 17:47 Thread Starter

glad it helped. I couldnt believe the diff either
post #26 of 224 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 23:48
Si

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Send a message via MSN to Si
been running my linkage for a while now and i STILL love it, get comments from anyone who drive my car about how nice the gear change is, infact my rents have a 51plate beetle with a worse gear change!!!
post #27 of 224 (permalink) Old 14-09-2006, 23:28
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; 620ti x3; MG ZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2; MG ZT-T x1
Quote:
Originally Posted by oderaro View Post
will this mod work for my 1997 R 620GSDI?
Royally fed up of difficult gear changes!!!!
Will the 416 UJ work as well?
Escuse the Qs but I have tried 3 diff linkages , none lasted long!

Thanks all
Oderaro
97 GSDI Turbo `N`LUVINNIT
Yes, provided you do not have other issues like a dragging clutch or worn clutch slave cylinder, that 600 Diesel has a PG1 gearbox like the 620ti with the Rover engine.

Before cutting anything, ensure that there is sufficient clearance between gear change linkage and the nearby stabiliser bar. Study the picture in my earlier post. Here it is again:

http://www.rovertech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36868

It's on the third repsonse in the thread.

Then compare what you will need to do to your car to reproduce as closely as possible the various original angles so that there is no conflict (contact) with the nearby stabiliser bar. After careful measurement, it may be that on your car there is no need for that little offset crank to be welded onto the end of the linkage.

So you can see what to look for, here is a picture of early and later (right) gear linkage univeral-joints (U-Js) from 620ti. I believe the Diesels share the same parts. These U-Js wear with use and age.

However, they don't ALL wear quickly. I removed this one from a 1997 124,000 mile 620ti in a local breaker's yard and there is hardly any wear in the U-J....

I also removed the actual gear lever from the breaker car. That will receive a 'Quick-shift' modification. When fitted to the modified U-J it provides one of the best gear changes ... ever.

Apparently ... in a parallel universe MGJohn drives .........A.......

B>>M>>W ....

Arrrrrggghhhhh......... ......

Last edited by MGJohn; 15-09-2006 at 00:29.
post #28 of 224 (permalink) Old 15-09-2006, 20:14

Car: 45 TD
Thumbs up

That's a brilliant mod!, I've got the annoying U/J rattle (01 45 TD, 46,000m) just hope this will work on mine!, the original U/J is a crap design really, doug.
post #29 of 224 (permalink) Old 15-09-2006, 22:04
Si

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Send a message via MSN to Si
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
I also removed the actual gear lever from the breaker car. That will receive a 'Quick-shift' modification. When fitted to the modified U-J it provides one of the best gear changes ... ever.

couple that with some polly bushes from markcoupe on RT and you willl have my gearchange , i extended my stick 25mm
post #30 of 224 (permalink) Old 17-09-2006, 21:19

Smile

MG John/ Mad Hat Man, do you know the size of the roll pin that joins the shift linkage to the box selector stub-length/diameter?,the reason I ask is that my car(01 45 TD) has only done 46,000ish so i'm assuming this maybe the source of my gearshift rattle, also the size of the riveted pins on the original u/j length/dia, as i may replace these with shanked bolts/nyloc's, I intend to do the 416 steering column fix eventually, but time is at a premium atm, thanks, doug.
post #31 of 224 (permalink) Old 18-09-2006, 08:03 Thread Starter

2 things....

Firstly - changing the rivetted pins is going to be a lot more time consuming - it will take as long to grind the heads off of the pins, as to do the mod.

Secondly on my '95 22oTurbo (may not be the same on all cars) the roll pin dia is 8mm (5/16") and the riveted pins have a 8mm (5/16") rivetted section, but the main shaft diameter is 11mm (9/16") nominal sizes; and this will still not resolve the bushes being worn - they are "top hat" section.

Believe me - the mod, as described, is a LOT quicker and resolves the issue once and for all. As others have said - times between 30 mins and 45 mins are typical of the mod. It is the time taken to remove the steering column UJ which is significant. If time is at a premium, get one already removed from a breakers or buy a new one. It is still cost effective.
post #32 of 224 (permalink) Old 18-09-2006, 08:04 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si View Post
couple that with some polly bushes from markcoupe on RT and you willl have my gearchange , i extended my stick 25mm

Hi - can you put a link to markcoupe on here please?
post #33 of 224 (permalink) Old 19-09-2006, 19:28

Unhappy

.....houston..we have a problem... right, went to the scrappies today and got me a U/J from a 416 steering column, mmmn, no can do!, either i've got the wrong U/J OR the gear selector rod on mine is a larger diameter(around 22mm on the diesel 2001 45 TD) because there's just no way that rod is going to enter that U/J, real glad I didn't saw the original u/j off!!, advice anyone?
post #34 of 224 (permalink) Old 20-09-2006, 07:56 Thread Starter

Sorry Doug

Havent had any experience of the Diesel. Looks like you have found one it doesnt work on. Can the UJ be drilled out? From memory it has a substantial wall thickness. Or make an adapter to go from 22mm was it? to the bore of the UJ. It would mean cutting your linkage slightly shorter to accomodate it.
post #35 of 224 (permalink) Old 20-09-2006, 11:30

Wink

no worries, not your fault, i'm going to take a look at the gear selector rod on a 420, just to compare with mine, if it's identical (apart from being the correct diameter to utilise the column u/j) i may go with that, if not like you suggest, it'll be a case of modding my original selector rod to suit, cheers, doug.
post #36 of 224 (permalink) Old 20-09-2006, 11:45 Thread Starter

I have modified the thread on previous page to show that it wont work on the diesel 2001 45 TD.
If you find a fix - let me know and I will modify it again.

Actually a thought has just hit me------

if your linkage is a hollow tube - like the 220 - it might be easier to get a rod which fits the UJ, welded into the linkage tube. Unfortunately I do not know what the tube ID is. If you find out - let me know.
post #37 of 224 (permalink) Old 21-09-2006, 20:22
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; 620ti x3; MG ZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2; MG ZT-T x1
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
.....houston..we have a problem... right, went to the scrappies today and got me a U/J from a 416 steering column, mmmn, no can do!, either i've got the wrong U/J OR the gear selector rod on mine is a larger diameter(around 22mm on the diesel 2001 45 TD) because there's just no way that rod is going to enter that U/J, real glad I didn't saw the original u/j off!!, advice anyone?
Try getting the intermediate U-J shaft from the PAS steering column on any Montego with PAS ... the diesels will also provide donor parts. IIRC, two 13mm bolts and nuts secure this shaft. It's about 8 inches long and has a U-J AT BOTH ENDS - both U-J clamps are a different size and thus, one of them may be suitable for your car. They are substantial U-Js too and even on a very high mileage donor car, those U-Js should be good as new. The intermediate shaft may be suitable to cut so that the stub can be inserted in the tube when the worn out u-j is sawn off. Do check all the possibilities before cutting anything .... just in case.

Apparently ... in a parallel universe MGJohn drives .........A.......

B>>M>>W ....

Arrrrrggghhhhh......... ......
post #38 of 224 (permalink) Old 21-09-2006, 20:41

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
Try getting the intermediate U-J shaft from the PAS steering column on any Montego with PAS ... the diesels will also provide donor parts. IIRC, two 13mm bolts and nuts secure this shaft. It's about 8 inches long and has a U-J AT BOTH ENDS - both U-J clamps are a different size and thus, one of them may be suitable for your car. They are substantial U-Js too and even on a very high mileage donor car, those U-Js should be good as new. The intermediate shaft may be suitable to cut so that the stub can be inserted in the tube when the worn out u-j is sawn off. Do check all the possibilities before cutting anything .... just in case.
yep, interesting and something else to look into.... I always go by the rule of measure TWICE cut ONCE rule o'thumb.... or in this case measure TWICE.... that aint going to work!... yet!, thanks, doug.
post #39 of 224 (permalink) Old 13-11-2006, 09:30 Thread Starter

Hi Doug - have you found the solution yet?

if so I will modify the procedure accordingly.
post #40 of 224 (permalink) Old 13-11-2006, 15:31

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hat Man View Post
Hi Doug - have you found the solution yet?

if so I will modify the procedure accordingly.
sorry bud, I just havn't had time, family health prob's, daughters clio hgf, etc,etc,...., doug.