R25 ii 2.0l tdi - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-10-2015, 19:11 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 25
R25 ii 2.0l tdi

Good evening,

I thought I'd finally join after snooping around the forums for a while (mainly the diesel threads).

Ended up buying a '53 reg 25 2.0L diesel in the summer after a company I won't name reversed into my '04 reg R25 (1.4 petrol) with just over 40k on the clock.

I'm getting tempted to teak the diesel though, as I hear there are many gains to be had from remapping amongst other things.

So far the only changes to the dieseasal are pretty minor, new speakers/stereo, swapped the good tyres/wheels off the old car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-10-2015, 20:45
Diesel Tuning Dude

Car: 75 Tourer Conn SE & 45 TDi VNT
Garages
Send a message via MSN to Dakta
Hi and welcome to the forum;

Quote:
I'm getting tempted to teak the diesel though, as I hear there are many gains to be had from remapping amongst other things.
You're absolutely right about that - these engines are knocking on a bit but they are quite flexible towards tuning, boosting the power by 30-50% from what it is now isn't actually that difficult/expensive.

Do get to know the car and any quirks before boosting it up though!

Good engines though, plenty of stuff to read through on the forums regarding common faults etc!

regards

Dieselpowered - file revisions ahead of the competition
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-10-2015, 21:02 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakta View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum;

You're absolutely right about that - these engines are knocking on a bit but they are quite flexible towards tuning, boosting the power by 30-50% from what it is now isn't actually that difficult/expensive.

Do get to know the car and any quirks before boosting it up though!

Good engines though, plenty of stuff to read through on the forums regarding common faults etc!

regards
Thankyou for the warm welcome!

I've seen some of your posts about remapping and ignoring the MAF.

If I'm honest I haven't noticed any real quirks yet & it's been a few months, that said the engine barely worn in (only went over the 15k mark in the last month).

What kind of quirks would you say I should look out for if you don't mind me asking?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-10-2015, 21:23
Diesel Tuning Dude

Garages
Quote:
What kind of quirks would you say I should look out for if you don't mind me asking?
The first is one you're clearly already aware of - the maf sensor!

These fail quite often, and unless you know to expect it can throw new owners a bit of a surprise if the car feels a bit less lively than it should be.

There's some other common faults, usually nothing serious, like sloppy gear levers, boost leaks, but nothing very serious.

Worst quirk of the L-series is they sometimes suffer from fuel injector pump death - this isn't specific to the L-series really as other engines use a similar pump and have the same problem. It isn't drastically common nor does it do any lasting damage once the pumps been replaced, but its annoying should it happen.

I've never suffered this actually, but i'm probably due it since i've been driving these cars for years!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-10-2015, 21:38 Thread Starter

Sounds like I'd best get the maf left out of the map, when the time comes that is.

That's good to hear, nothing sounding familiar.

From the looks of it I may have to pick your brains in a little more detail when I've caught up with the forums some more.

For now I'll have to work out a plan of what to do to coax a little more life out of the 'new' car, but I'm sure you'll see a post from me on the diesel side of the forums before too long with a rough plan.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-10-2015, 21:45
Diesel Tuning Dude

Garages
Just send me a private message if you need anything

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 19-10-2015, 22:48

Car: Maestros, 200, 600, ZTT
Send a message via MSN to E_T_V
First thing I'd do is change the cambelts if not already done as although the engine milage is low they are due with time as well as milage.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 20-10-2015, 05:36 Thread Starter

Shall do Dakta

That's a good shout E_V_T, I'd almost forgotten I'd had that done, first thing I did after I'd driven it back was book it in for a new timing belt.

Which reminds me, I don't suppose anyone has any experience with replacing the roof trim & sunroof cover as the sunroof cover has had a pretty botched repair at some point and the roof panel as a whole is giving the car a strong smokey smell!

On the plus side I still have the old R25 which doesn't suffer these setbacks so I have the new parts practically for free since as long as I return a 'whole vehicle' the insurance should be content.

Come to think of it the sunroof itself worked a lot smoother on the old car, might be worth swapping that, though I wouldn't imagine having cause to open it for a few months given the season!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 24-04-2017, 21:29 Thread Starter

So, two years on I figure it's time for an update! Since I got the car it's gone almost 10 thousand miles, which must have been a wake up after only 14 thousand in the twelve years prior. It's driving smoothly & the engine is as you would imagine for the milage! Still really enjoying it as a daily driver & amused by the absurdity of the engine (pulling along at 25 quietly in 5th always amuses me, along with the truely jackal and Hyde nature of the turbocharger).

Downsides, there have been one or two.
? The sunroof leaked (though this was patched with gorilla tape I have yet to impliment something more tasteful).
? Settings 1 & 2 on the fans do nothing, with 3 & 4 functioning fine.

The question is where to go from here, how much more power is there untapped & what effect would this have on fuel economy (64.5 mpg on the motorway is real nice!).
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 30-04-2017, 10:44
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
Welcome back

Sunroof and fans? Both common problems so not bad for all those miles. Both sealing the sunroof and replacing the fan resistors behind the glovebox are cheap jobs well recorded on this site eg

Rover 214 - Ventilation Fan Resistor Pack - MG-Rover.org Forums

gnu