1.8 is slow??? - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 00:24 Thread Starter

Car: Skoda Octavia company car and MGF VVC fun car, Freelander 1.8 wifes car.
1.8 is slow???

Hi guys
I am thinking of buying a Freelander for the missus to keep her away from my wee F. I was thinking of getting a 1.8 with a dodgy HG as I have replaced them before, but have seen several posts sayin they are slow. I had an L series before and thought it was deadly slow so am surprised the k series is rated so badly. In the Parkers guide it is 3 seconds faster to 60. Am i missing something? If the 1.8 is slower than my old 2.0di then it must be a complete snail.
PS the reason I am thinking of a freelander is she loved the last one. Even though it was slower, less practical and much more basic than the two Xtrails which followed it she always harks back to the freelander.
Reason for petrol is there are plenty of cheap ones around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 20:25 Thread Starter

C'mon guys
Over 100 views and not a single reply. Is the 1.8 slower than a 2.0Di in normal driving?

I know the TD4 is the best engine (unless you can afford to keep the K6) but unless I can find a damaged one I can only afford an old high miler for my money.
Anyone know why they never fitted the 1.8T to the Freelander? Would it be a straight swap with a standard 1.8 (physically that is, I know the ECU and Loom would need to change too).
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 11:18

Car: MG ZS
The 1.8k in my zs is not a quick engine, I would imagine in something twice as heavy with 4wd it would be shambolic, you need to rev k series engines to make the most of the power, would get very tireing in a freelander I would guess

The 1.8 turbo uses exactly the same engine mounts and wireing loom, you would just need to sort out the mapping and the exhaust (and of course intercoolers and the like) would be a better idea, bit at the end of the day, I would personally save up a bit and go for the TD4, you will save the difference in fuel alone!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 12:40 Thread Starter

The car is for my wife who drives like a granny anyway and she doesn't go very far so mpg is not the main issue. I just want something cheap that I know she will like.
The idea of fitting a 1.8T appeals to the masochist in me.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 18:47

Car: Land Rover 90 pick up Abarth 595 Tourismo, BMW 3 series
My brother used to have one, i can remember him saying it was very juicey but not slow. How about 135 cams and a 52mm throttle body for a bit more umph.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 19:04

Car: Evolution VII RS, MK5 RS2000, Trackday MK2 ZR 160, MK2 ZS 120+
there gutless with the 1.8 don't forget bigger vehicle that's like throwing a brick though the air plus the drag for the 4x4 system. Get yourself one with a KV6
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 19:56
MG-Rover Mobile Mechanics

Car: MGF, MGTF, MGZS x6, MGZR x6, MGZT x1, ROVER 25, ROVER 216 Cabriolet, 93' CELICA
Garages
Send a message via MSN to **Kayleigh**
As already said, the car is bigger, therefore, the weight of it, will slow it down slightly.. Get one with a diesel engine in it, or a v6 lump. Both will pull better. x

** We specialize in Mg / Rover Head Gaskets, Servicing, Maintenance & Repairs **
-- Our Head Gaskets are 320 non vvc and 350 vvc --
... All Head Gasket Replacements are inclusive of the Cambelt & Waterpump ...
~ We can guarantee you won't find anyone offering the services we do, at the prices we do! ~
' Vehicle collection and return is also available for work needing to be transported to our unit '
* See www.mg-rovermobilemechanics.com or call/text 07595708278/07595704340 for more info *
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 20:33 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNDQ View Post
there gutless with the 1.8 don't forget bigger vehicle that's like throwing a brick though the air plus the drag for the 4x4 system. Get yourself one with a KV6
V6's are all auto aren't they? The missus would throw a strop if I bought an auto for. Says she can't drive auto's???? Go figure.

Going to go and look at a 2.0Di tomorrow. I know they have less horsepower but have a lot more torque. Might be able to do something to make it go better but as I said she drives like a granny so don't really matter.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 14:02

Car: Rover 45
If you want a 'non slow' car then why on earth would you even consider a freelander ?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibro View Post
V6's are all auto aren't they? The missus would throw a strop if I bought an auto for. Says she can't drive auto's???? Go figure.

Going to go and look at a 2.0Di tomorrow. I know they have less horsepower but have a lot more torque. Might be able to do something to make it go better but as I said she drives like a granny so don't really matter.
The L series diesel is easily tunable to about 150 bhp and tough as old boots, well documented on here
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 20:37 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTF View Post
My brother used to have one, i can remember him saying it was very juicey but not slow. How about 135 cams and a 52mm throttle body for a bit more umph.
Now your talking. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzoneo View Post
If you want a 'non slow' car then why on earth would you even consider a freelander ?
It's not for me so I'm not too bothered about it being quick. If I want quick I have my wee F. The question was, does a 1.8 feel slower than a 2.0Di? I know all about the K series issues but would still consider one if VERY cheap, otherwise either Diesel would be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTF View Post
The L series diesel is easily tunable to about 150 bhp and tough as old boots, well documented on here
Been reading lots both here and on Landyzone and just realised this myself, a Ronbox I believe is the way to go. I didn't even know they had a turbo until Saturday.
We went to see a 2000 2.0Di on Saturday but it was dog rough, mostly inside but had a lot of dog scratches on the drivers door too plus several bits that didn't work so we walked away.

Last edited by Alibro; 12-01-2015 at 20:44.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 13-01-2015, 12:27

I think the best thing would be to find one in a dealer and get a test drive so you can make up your own mind. if you do want to buy one take someone with you who knows the 4 wheel drive system as they can be expensive to fix
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 17-01-2015, 18:19

Car: Classic Rover
Yes the 1.8's are slow, of course they are!

You want a td4, fast and economical

If you buy a cheap 1.8 all that will happen is you will be crying when it needs money spending on it, because its not 'worth' anything.

All the L series versions will be a bit long in the tooth now and the td4's not far behind it.
Which is the rationale in buying a petrol, cheap and generally in much better condition (as they get used less)

Personally I would run a freelander 1, they are basically jacked up rovers, which means cheap and easy to fix (yes there is a few more expensive problems, but honestly they are simple and easy to work on compared to other 4x4's)
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 24-01-2015, 18:53 Thread Starter

OK
Latest update is I went to see an 04 1.8 at a dealers and took it for a test drive.
Long story short the people saying the 1.8 is slow are talking s***e. It is a crackin wee motor, much quicker than the L series and (up to 50 or so anyway) as quick as a TD4 so I made the guy an offer and ended up getting it for 1450, he was asking 1950.
5 new tyres and 12 months MOT

It has 103,500 miles on the clock so the first thing I did when I got it home was test the VCU. As I suspected it was pretty well locked solid so the drive shaft came off straight away and the IRD lubricant got replaced, I might have to replace the seals on it though as it was leaking a bit, probably due to the stress of the dodgy VCU.
Next urgent thing was to replace the coolant expansion tank as it was cracked. HG has probably been replaced before at this mileage so won't sweat about that but will go over everything else, all the bits for a full service are ordered.
Seems poor that a dealer sorted a car enough to put it through MOT and were willing to sell it to some poor unsuspecting sod when it was about to destroy it's drive train and didn't even do a basic service.

Last edited by Alibro; 24-01-2015 at 19:09.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 26-01-2015, 09:37

nice looking motor, and seems an excellent price, just need to get it fixed before the snow comes.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 29-01-2015, 17:39

Car: ZR, TF
Air intake

I've just got a Freelander 1.8 and it felt a lot slower than the ZR120- more than you might expect. I then discovered the air filter box has a very restrictive pipe internally, which is a separate moulding that snaps into place. Removing this and rounding off the sharp corners has perked the engine up quite a bit across the full rev range, and it feels far more responsive. Not sure if this pipe is fitted in the ZR- will have a look when I get chance.

I've not got rid of the ZR- my partner's driving it now...
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 17:06 Thread Starter

Nice one bud, Will have a look at the airbox this weekend.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 10:26

Car: MG TF 135
I used to have a freelander 1.8. Put a k&n panel in it and a 52mm throttle body....improvement was minimal at best...it felt like it wanted to go just wouldn't, like previously said the 4x4 creates a lot of drag and just saps the engine power.....hydraulic clutch is a mare is a sealed system and u have to replace the oily bits to get a light pedal...rear door seal a pain in the arse too always wet under the jack...couldn't solve the leak initial I eventually had the back in bits. Water was leaking into r/h rear inner wing creating a reservoir and spilling over into boot when I went round a corner....made a hole in a rubber grommet where the water was problem solved...sort of!!!

Last edited by pault39; 12-02-2015 at 10:37.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 15-02-2015, 23:03 Thread Starter

Nice tip, My boot is damp too but not sure if it was caused by a dodgy rear window not operating correctly. Problem now sorted so will see if it drys up. Not sure what TB is in it as it is alloy. Anybody know if the 04 face lift model had 48 or 52mm TB's?

Edit
I've given her a full service and sorted out most of the silly issues, All the oils, plugs, leads, coolant, water pump and belts and she is running much sweeter. So far me and the missus very happy.

Last edited by Alibro; 15-02-2015 at 23:08.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 17-02-2015, 13:21

Car: MGF
computer has been off for a while so only just seen the thread the 1.8 in afreelander is not slow i used mine on the motorway every week power was not a problem and getting around 40-45mpg the one thing to check is first gear turn hard left and right if it feels like the brakes are on and worse in reverse then its time to get the vcu changed before it takes anything else out make sure the tyres are the same and check the pressure every week apart from that just drive it the engine is very easy to work on i had to do the head gasket on mine if it rains get in the engine bay and carry on working
nearly forgot keep an eye on that dam prt valve thats what took out my head gasket
Ron