Freelander k series turbo conversion - Page 2 - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 26-01-2014, 11:00 Thread Starter

Car: Land Rover 90 pick up Abarth 595 Tourismo, BMW 3 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Wave View Post
true you did mention the ird but a worn vc can wreck both the diff and ird, it would be a massive shame to see a good idea like dropping a turbo in a hippo if the vc wasn't up to scratch. I had half a mind to try a vvc lump once but i read the engine management would be a problem.
When I eventually buy one if there's no evidence of the VC being changed i think i would be tempted to change it for peace of mind due to the extra grunt going through it as it seems to be the starting point for all the other expensive problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 26-01-2014, 18:58

Car: 2000 Rover 75 v6 2.0 Club SE Dorchester Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by zandf-tuning View Post
We have already supplied an upgraded ecu for a vvc Freelander, the set up is quite simple
Now that is very interesting, I may rethink the idea!
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 26-01-2014, 19:03

Car: 2000 Rover 75 v6 2.0 Club SE Dorchester Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTF View Post
When I eventually buy one if there's no evidence of the VC being changed i think i would be tempted to change it for peace of mind due to the extra grunt going through it as it seems to be the starting point for all the other expensive problems.
Bell Engineering are very recommended by other Hippo owners for their VC units and they also give some good advice about drivetrains and what to look for.

http://www.bellengineering.co.uk/5.html

Beware that there was a scam outfit over in the East of England offering a swap service but never sending the units out and a firm in Derbyshire I think who did mangled reconditioned ones.

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 27-01-2014, 06:25 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Wave View Post
Bell Engineering are very recommended by other Hippo owners for their VC units and they also give some good advice about drivetrains and what to look for.

http://www.bellengineering.co.uk/5.html

Beware that there was a scam outfit over in the East of England offering a swap service but never sending the units out and a firm in Derbyshire I think who did mangled reconditioned ones.
I have come accross Bell engineering and for 200 it would be a false economy not to change it and the bearings, been looking on a well known landy site and theres an extensive thread regarding VCU and rear Diff temperatures all interesting stuff.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 28-01-2014, 15:40

Car: Rover Metro GTi, 118SLi, MG Metro 1300 & MG ZR160
Use a Payen blue elastomer gasket, run a PRT thermostat and make sure belts and water pump are new and I think you'll be fine.

Only thing is, find the best bottom end you can.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 28-01-2014, 21:30 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineecollins View Post
Use a Payen blue elastomer gasket, run a PRT thermostat and make sure belts and water pump are new and I think you'll be fine.

Only thing is, find the best bottom end you can.
I have read that the Elastomer gasket is the way to go with the turbo, what I'm hoping to do is get a complete turbo engine to strip and freshen up then when i get the car swap the engines over.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 20:47

Car: 618IS silver bullet
is anything else happening? on project?? get some pics up
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 06:27 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOONEY666 View Post
is anything else happening? on project?? get some pics up
Not bought a motor yet lol, lots to do before that.

Got to lay a hard standing round the back of the garage where i want to keep it.
I want to buy a complete turbo engine, strip and check/rebuild it, then sort out the engine wiring harness, get a steptronic ecu as I`ve read this will allow the complete turbo engine and manifold to be used without an external boost controller and sort out a down pipe.
I want everything in place so when i get the freelander it will be just plug and play.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 12:10

Car: 618IS silver bullet
arh right well cant fault you for that hope you get every thing on your wish list
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 22:35

Car: ZR 1.4 - wants>>ZR-T16
Have a look on the landyzone forum. I'm on there as I had a freelander 1.8. There's a couple of guys doing an engine conversion on a freelander to either a t series or a toyota 2.0l petrol they haven't made there mind up yet lol be4 u go splashing out on a recon vcu is there anything wrong with yours? Mine was 14 years old with 50k on the clock and it was perfect
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 19:14 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jony8619 View Post
Have a look on the landyzone forum. I'm on there as I had a freelander 1.8. There's a couple of guys doing an engine conversion on a freelander to either a t series or a toyota 2.0l petrol they haven't made there mind up yet lol be4 u go splashing out on a recon vcu is there anything wrong with yours? Mine was 14 years old with 50k on the clock and it was perfect
Got any links, couldn't find anything, I'm thinking K Turbo so it all looks OE and should be a relatively cheap conversion without having to make engine mounts or gearbox adaptors etc
post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 13-02-2014, 19:21

Car: ZR 1.4 - wants>>ZR-T16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTF View Post
Got any links, couldn't find anything, I'm thinking K Turbo so it all looks OE and should be a relatively cheap conversion without having to make engine mounts or gearbox adaptors etc
http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f9/dd-...ol-245773.html
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 14-02-2014, 15:42 Thread Starter

Cheers for that will be good to see how they get on
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 15:16

Car: Other Manufacturer
Quote:
We have already supplied an upgraded ecu for a vvc Freelander, the set up is quite simple
Hi, I've just bought an early Freelander 1.8 and came across your post above whilst Googling for info on VVC transplants.

Do you have any more info on the swap or can you point me in the direction of any info - doesn't seem to be much about, lots of chat but no pictures...
The last time I was playing with Rover products they were A-series powered, so am still trying to get my head round the MEMS systems etc.!

I assume that still having the distributor, any swap I did would be along the lines of the Metro conversions, or is it basically just a case of swapping engines and ECUs?

Any info at all would be much appreciated.

Paul
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 14-03-2015, 16:20

Car: freelander 1.8 k-series
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 18:54

Car: MGF
Quote:
oohh can you pm me some info please. im thinking of making a vvc FL1 and have a mgf mk1 as donor just cant find any info regarding wiring the bugger up