throttle body mod - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 13-03-2017, 23:08 Thread Starter

Car: freelander
throttle body mod

I have a 2001 1.8 Freelander the throttle body on it is alloy but I have been told all the freelander throttle body`s plastic or alloy are 48mm .
I have bee offeded a throttle body off a MG tf 1.8 .
so before I change the body over am I correct in that the freelander body even thou it is alloy is 48mm?
when I picked the wagon up the guy had cut the cat out does this increase the performance by having it removed also rear box is knackred so fitting a straight through smaller rear box so not to catch it off road .
So far I have had the head gasket done with metal dowels also fitted and also the later thermostat modification kit fitted so temp runs at the middle of the gauge now and no lose of coolant .
So anyone have any opinions on what I plan regarding changing the throttle body rear box hoping to gain more torque and a bit better mpg
Cheers Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 14-03-2017, 20:05
Supporter

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
The throttle body will be 48mm regardless of whether it's alloy or plastic. If you have a plastic TB it's worthwhile swapping it for an alloy version as the plastic ones are known to stick. You can fit a 52mm TB but the benefit will be minimal.

It is understood there is generally no benefit to decating a K-series as the engine requires an amount of back pressure that a decat denies it. Plus your emissions at MOT time may be problematic.

The 1.8 is not the best engine for the Freelander to be honest and will never be a thrifty fireball. If you crave greater MPG and more poke then get the diesel. Otherwise just make sure it's well serviced.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 14-03-2017, 21:13

Car: MGZS180,MGZR160,MGF VVC,MG Maestro T16, Rover 111
I'd check that the TB hasn't already been changed to 52mm.
I find the car runs smoother with the larger TB.
Assuming the PO has left the pre cat you will pass the emissions part of the MOT but an astute tester may fail it as the exhaust system has been substantially modified.