Rover 100 throttle body - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 21-06-2010, 12:29 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 114GSi
Rover 100 throttle body

My partner's 114 GSI has recently developed an intermittant case of the well-known dodgy idle issue. She took the car to a garge recently who took a quick look and said while they weren't sure of finding/fixing the issue first time, they'd see what they could find (or not). They ended up replacing the intake temperature sensor as they reckoned that while it moght not be causing the issue, it was dodgy anyway.

Obviously it didn't cure the issue, or I wouldn't be posting this! I'm looking at changing the throttle position sensor and/or idle control valve next, however after browsing Rimmer Bros, I've noticed that they have complete throttle body assemblies for what is vastly less that the cost of any of the ancilliaries attached to them. There's only a photo of the one for the auto, which appears to show all the necessary bit attached.

My first question is if my assumption that a brand new TB will actually have these bits, or if it will just be a 'bare bones' arrangement, where everything else needs to be supplied?

Secondly, if I was to replace the entire TB assembly, is the ECU going to throw a fit and leave us with a car that runs like a dog until someone with a laptop tells it to calm down?

Finally, what things do I need to pay particular attention to when/if doing this swap? Are there any silly traps to fall into?

I figure that swapping the whole lot out should leave only the ECU as the possible cause, as the issue usually clears up simply by switching the ignition off for a moment or two. I don't think the TB is sticky, as surely turning the ignition off isn't going to alter it's position?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 21-06-2010, 19:32

Car: MG ZR
Send a message via MSN to wardy23
best bet would be to buy one off ebay or go to scrappy but once you have fitted it you will need to reset the throttle position sensor to the ecu.
switch ignition on so the lights come then press accel pedal 5 times then turn ignition off again start and all should be ok
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:25

Car: Rover 100
Hi
I am about to do the same on my 111 mpi as the spring that returns the throttle to idle position is knackered so it just wont go back to idle when I take my foot off the pedal. I have bought a second hand complete assembly for a tenner, so can I just bolt it on and then do the pressing the throttle 5 times thing? Hopefully this will fix the issue!